News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Random Paragraph Generator amusement.

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, October 24, 2009, 11:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Ever been on a thread where there's a poster who simply does not appear to be sentient?

I'm talking about the sort of character, that while not actually an out-and-out Troll, continues to miss the point so consistently, that you wonder if he/she even reads anything other than his/her own rhetoric?

Well-- if you know of such, do I have the most excellent answer for you:

The Random paragraph generator.

With this gem, you can even extract a couple of key-words from the offending poster's comment, plug them in, and your reply seems to be on-topic.

Let me give an example.  Say the nearTroll posts something like this:

Troll:  "Well, I'm not religious myself, but I'm quite certain that my personal experience is superior to anyone else's on this matter.  Let's not forget, I have a degree in underwater reverse theology."

Now.  Let's plug in "religious" and "superior":

Here's the result: 
QuoteSuperior rocks the classic drama. The scandal reverts! The departure walls a hypocritical kid past the noise. Why won't the batch card the edited genocide?

And for emphasis, click again, same words:
QuoteMy parent legitimizes religious throughout his bookshop. Superior rolls. An opinion exits inside superior. Superior pops with religious. Religious detaches superior.

Great fun can be had, at the nearTroll's expense-- how long does it take, for them to recognize you're just spewing nonsense?

It would be clear proof, they are ignoring any and all replies, too.

The first time I saw this joke played over on Topix, was on a blowhard who calls himself "Infinite Force" (yes....the jokes abound about his choice of name..)

He actually attempted to reply to several random paragraphs.... it was hilarious to watch.  And kinda sad, too-- his ability to see beyond his own viewpoint was so warped, he literally could not tell random noise from actual dialog.

Anyway, enjoy.

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Scriblerus the Philosophe

I like! I think I'm going to keep that one around, should I run into trolls elsewhere.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Griffin NoName

Superb!

I put in "clocks" and "change" ------ BST has just ended.

QuoteA floor restrains the arm. Clocks mandates a cassette with a science. Change rewards clocks below a ray. The victory posts the phenomenon.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

pieces o nine

Great find, Bob!   :D

I've seen some "first posts" from new members elsewhere which may (or may!) be spambots. This could be the way they generate their so-called content which refers, ever so tantalizingly, to something near  the topic in the thread where they deposit their nonsense.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Quote from: pieces o nine on October 25, 2009, 02:59:20 AM
Great find, Bob!   :D

I've seen some "first posts" from new members elsewhere which may (or may!) be spambots. This could be the way they generate their so-called content which refers, ever so tantalizingly, to something near  the topic in the thread where they deposit their nonsense.

Oh, I've no doubt in my mind in the least, that spambots are entirely software-- the only humans[!?!] associated with them, are their creators, running on illegal off-shore spamhaus servers.

And I used the term "human" very loosely, here....  ::)  :P  :puke:

)))))))))))))

Edit:  in an effort to maintain full disclosure?  I must give the find-credit to a fellow Topix poster, and fellow Toadfish, Aphos.

He gets the credit for the first time I saw it used.

Aggie

LOL, I do remember Aphos (on Fridays, in particular ;)); in the spirit of total honesty and disclosure I must admit that I got the two of you muddled for quite a long time. ;) :P

Hmmm, tried it out:

Atoms lathers spaceships before the subway. The rival requests atoms. The minister rots the monopoly. When will atoms derange spaceships? Spaceships toys with atoms.

Hey, it makes more sense than a certain poster some may remember from TOP. ;)
WWDDD?

We could start a game based on the random paragraph generator.

I've thought of two:

1) guess the two seed words in a random paragraph.  Correct guess chooses two new seed-words, and presents a new random paragraph.

2) start with two seed words, generate a paragraph, then the next player must choose two different seed words from the random bits, and create a new one-- in a linked fashion.   Eventually, silliness will be too great, and a restart would be needed.

3) after the initial starter 2 words, to start the ball rolling, the next player keeps one of the 2, adds a new one of his/her choosing, and presents a new 'graph.   Which of the two previous words is kept, and which is replaced is up to the user, but etiquette would suggest no more than 2 or 3 repeats of a single word.

All in all, #3 is the most likely to work...

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Griffin NoName

We could have attempts at explaining what they mean.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Yes! The best philosophical dissertation about what the paragraph means wins!
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Who judges the winning entry?  As in "caption the photo" game, the original poster becomes the final judge?

pieces o nine

Yes!  A pseudo-scholarly explication  of the thesis... *

:smartass:

And the original poster can evaluate the attempts.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
* Which two words generated:  A ten finger jams around its war chocolate. An exceeding system wows the robot. Thesis exempts explication past the triple bigotry. Thesis stops without explication.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Aphos

I have used the RPG many times on the Topix Evolution Debate Forum.  What is hillarious is that on occasion, I have had serious responses made to the random nonsense.

I haven't done it, but I keep thinking how much fun it would be to go to Uncommon Descent and post random nonsense appearing to agree with ID and see what kind of responses I would get.

Unfortunately, that would make me a troll.  But then again, it ***IS*** UD.
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--