News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Concepts Aliens Would Find Difficult

Started by Griffin NoName, April 30, 2009, 11:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on May 11, 2009, 03:27:22 AM
.......... when you have Cobalt 60 close to absolute zero it's emissions become asymmetric relative to the spin of the nucleus (beta emissions are higher on the south).

Sounds like my astigmatism which has changed from 30 degrees north east to 10 degress north east - aliens may well consider our eyes sub-standard.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Tigger_the_Wing

Quote from: Griffin NoName on May 11, 2009, 09:22:25 AM
Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on May 11, 2009, 03:27:22 AM
.......... when you have Cobalt 60 close to absolute zero it's emissions become asymmetric relative to the spin of the nucleus (beta emissions are higher on the south).

Sounds like my astigmatism which has changed from 30 degrees north east to 10 degress north east - aliens may well consider our eyes sub-standard.

In fact, they might be baffled that we think we can know everything about what we 'see' by looking - when our eyes only detect a very narrow band of electromagnetic radiation. They might also wonder at the idea of 'colour' which is a concept generated entirely within our brains as a way of explaining to ourselves the different wavelengths of the radiation our eyes detect.

Thinking if this, how come 'colour-blindness' (a reduced ability to identify specific colours based on light wavelengths) is considered a defect, but 'perfect pitch' (an ability to identify specific notes based on sound wavelengths) is considered freakish?  ::) :-\
Send me home to Ireland

Earthling

I'd say that colo(u)r blindness is considered a defect because it reduces one's ability to participate normally in some social activities - I am so afflicted, and shopping for clothing is not an activity that I can participate in productively. Perfect pitch, on the other hand, confers an advantage to a musician, and (perhaps to overcome feelings of inadequacy) regular folks say stuff like "wow, he's great, but that's just because he's a freak". Because of course everyone knows that having perfect pitch obviates any need to study a piece or practice an instrument. [/sarcasm]
"Heisenberg may have slept here"

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I can tell you that musicians see perfect pitch with awe and envy (we all would love to have it). According to one of our ear training teachers it could be thought although none in my group could do it. I also read somewhere that perfect pitch is quite common among the speakers of chinese languages because certain words rely on specific frequencies.

In any case, it would seem that anyone with any talent above the norm is considered a 'freak' by the 'masses', in consequence the best thing to do is ignore the masses and be happy.  :mrgreen:
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Earthling

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on August 10, 2009, 04:10:15 AM
the best thing to do is ignore the masses and be happy.  :mrgreen:
Hear, hear!! I couldn't agree more. I have been soooo de-stressed since I stopped caring what people might think. Now if I could just get the missus to think the same way... ;)
"Heisenberg may have slept here"

Swatopluk

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo - Quintus Horatius Flaccus (aka Horace)
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

beagle

The angels have the phone box

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I disagree, imagine the translation errors with an alien language.  :o ???
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.