News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Favourite genre?

Started by Darlica, September 25, 2008, 02:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What kind of littrature do you prefer to read?

Poetry
Conteporary novels and short stoies
Historical novels and short stories
Science Fiction
Fantasy
Fact books
Romance
Horror
Crime
Documetary/ journalistic work
Other, please explain below
I don't read if I don't have too
The classics

Darlica

I have probably for got to mention a lot of genres...  If I have missed one you read vote "other" and post about it below.

You are of cause very welcome to post about your choice of literature here even if you have voted for the genres I've mentioned. :)

You can vote for your top 3 as I think most people read more than just one type of literature.

/D
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Darlica

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

You forgot the classics which may or not belong to any of the other categories, ie, is the Illiad or the Odyssey fantasy, historical, something else?
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

pieces o nine

Good question, Zono, but still too narrow.
Is it 'tragedy, comedy, history, pastoral, pastoral-comical, historical-pastoral, tragical-historical, tragical-comical-historical-pastoral, scene individable, or poet unlimited'?

Darlica: I voted, but it's difficult to choose just three, especially in light of the options you left out.

:readbook:
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Griffin NoName

I only voted for one of the options as I couldn't decide what else was what.

So I also voted other: which is :  Theory and Text books, Biography, Autobiogrpahy, Pyschological Thrillers, Self-Help, Spiritual, Medicine Leaflets, TV Guides, Film Reviews, and Free Prize Draw Prize lists.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Darlica

Ignorance is a bliss! ;)

All right I'm going to redo and reset the poll and you have to vote again! ;D

But first you have to help me define the categories!

Biography's, Autobiography's
Theory and Text books
Hard science fact books
Psychological Thrillers
Crime
Self-Help and Spiritual guidance
Information leaflets
Newspapers, Tv guides,and film reviews
Contemporary Poetry
Classic poetry     
Contemporary novels and short stoies    
Historical novels and short stories    
Classics, 'tragedy, comedy, history, pastoral, pastoral-comical, historical-pastoral, tragical-historical, tragical-comical-historical-pastoral. (the lot.or this list would be a mile long because this could be done to almost every sub group)
Science Fiction    
Fantasy    
Romance    
Horror    
Documentary/ journalistic work (Pilger, Kline et al.)   
Other, please explain below    
I don't read if I don't have too    
The classics

What have I forgotten this time?

Swatopluk

1.Fact Books (history, technology...)
2.Fantasy (selective. e.g. Tolkien, Pratchett)
3.SF (also selective. e.g. Lem, Douglas Adams)
Turtledove is a bit difficult to categorize (and I read mainly his alternative histories until now).
Lovecraft is usually seen as horror but his stories also often defy genre boundaries.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

differentiate between Classic Fictions and The Classics (as in Roman-Greek-etc).

Also, back of cereal packets (possibly only a UK fetish).

Journals, like New Scientist, which according to many scientists are mostly fiction.

Finally, the poll would be more significant if it could show the combination per voter - I demand more sophisticated software :mrgreen:
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Quote from: Griffin NoName on September 26, 2008, 04:44:46 PM
Also, back of cereal packets (possibly only a UK fetish).
Disagree! I love reading the back of cereal boxes.

Wish there was more than just three to choose. I read a far number of journalistic/documentary style books as well as select fantasy, fact books, and various novels.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Swatopluk

Even the authors of the Hitchhker's Guide to the Galaxy copied from the back of a box of breakfast cereals, then send a copy of the guide back in time and successfuly sued the breakfast cereal company for copyright infringement. :mrgreen:

Sibling Chatty

Is it print, in a language I can read or decipher??

I want to read it NOW.

No, not in a day or two NOW!!!

I get--nervous? Annoyed? Frustrated? without something to read.

Like humorous stuff a LOT anymore. I'm just too tired to deal with angst.
This sig area under construction.

Bluenose

I read all sorts, but my preferences are Science fiction, humour (eg, I love discworld but other fantasy leaves me cold) and scientific papers, books etc.  OTOH, if I have nothing else to read, I will read whatever comes to hand.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

beagle

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on September 29, 2008, 07:50:31 AM
Like humorous stuff a LOT anymore.

So are you a Douglas Adams afficionado?
The angels have the phone box

Sibling Chatty

YES.

I have the Trilogy in all parts, several omnibus versions, plus the Dirk Gently, the biography  by Neil Gamian and at least 2 of the first 3 parts of the mul-trilogy in German, although I do not read German.

I saw 'em, I had to have 'em.

=========

In Houston, years ago, I used to route floral delivery. Houston's HUGE, all spread out. The map books that everyone used were in a binder, but not a STRONG binder. I put the map books for all my drivers into MUCH better binders, then wrote on them in nice, friendly letters DON'T PANIC!

I had NO problem keeping drivers. they figured out that I DID have a sense of humor, no matter how much of a perfectionist I was about my work and how they handled it...
This sig area under construction.

Bluenose

Quote from: beagle on September 29, 2008, 09:12:23 PM
Quote from: Sibling Chatty on September 29, 2008, 07:50:31 AM
Like humorous stuff a LOT anymore.

So are you a Douglas Adams afficionado?

Me too.  I particularly liked his explanation of why the game of cricket is the reason that most aliens avoid the Earth. 
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Swatopluk

I still can recite several passages from memory (in the German translation though)

Oh du zerfrettelter Grunzwanzling
Dein Harngedränge ist mir als wie Schnatterfleck auf Bienenstich
Grupp, ich beschwöre dich, mein punzig Turteldrom
Und kränge reifig dich mit krinklen Bindelwördeln
Sonst werd' ich rändern dich in deine Gobberwarzen
Mit meinem Börgelkranze
Wart's nur ab!

followed by the whole section about bad poetry!

beagle

That poem doesn't really improve with translation does it? Presumably, on the monkeys typing Hamlet principle, there's a language where its beauty trumps Goethe, Shakespeare, Ovid or Dante.  No sign of finding it yet though. Can you run a BabelFish in optimizing mode?

At least I now know the German for "rend you in the gobberwarts", a phrase which might come in handy in business discussions, and is often inexplicably left out of the phrase books.
The angels have the phone box