News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What significant things have I done today?

Started by Griffin NoName, April 02, 2008, 08:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

There's no rule about how big one's sig. can be, though it probably relates to the size of one's ego :D

The darn helping lady still hasn't got back in touch to say which days she is coming :(
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

pieces o nine

^ Hoping you hear from her soon.

Possible evidence for demon possession: cannot account any other way for thinking it would be a good idea to nip out this afternoon for a few things (and maybe a chocolate bunny). Every single man, woman, and child from the Sand Hills, Black Hills, Badlands --the Greater Ocean o'Sand Region, really -- and their extended families, was milling (4 or 5 abreast) through the store. Children let off-leash were pelting up and down the congested aisles, careening off displays of plastic eggs and passing carts. I was gut-punched -- hard -- by one youngster who decided to extend her arms and begin flailing like a washing machine agitator. She gave me a look that set *me* straight.
  :EasterBunnyEat: 
Happy Chocolate Day!
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Changed my profile picture, using a custom made icon (by me-- see the original underlying the new marriage-equality one?)

Did this in support of marriage equality.   It's about time the US started getting over it's religious bigotry, don'cha think?
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I support polygamy, polyandry and group marriage* also, who's with me? ;) :P

*Actually I do, I don't see what's the big deal provided that all parties involved do so without coercion as consenting adults.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

From a 'moral' standpoint I agree but I think it would require some changes to tax law etc. or it would become too easy to exploit as a mere financial scheme.
Btw, polygamy includes polyandry. What you are looking for is polgyny.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

Swept the lounge chimney this morning, aided by Cap'n B in his oldest clothes - but he still got very black, not surprisingly.   ;)

Vast quantities of soot reminded me that I hadn't swept it for far too long.

roystonoboogie

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on March 31, 2013, 06:42:26 PM
I support polygamy, polyandry and group marriage* also, who's with me? ;) :P

*Actually I do, I don't see what's the big deal provided that all parties involved do so without coercion as consenting adults.

I got no quarrel in the slightest if adults wish to engage in group marriages.  There are any number of logical reasons why that model would be superior in all ways, to just two people-- for one thing, there'd always be multiple points of view to expose the kids to many different ways of looking at the world.

For another, pooling the financial resources makes for more luxuries all around; which is what can help to make life sweet.

And still another-- if the group is careful of each other's needs?  There's always a babysitter available--one familiar to the kiddies too, and no worries about stranger-danger.

Quote from: Swatopluk on March 31, 2013, 06:59:28 PM
From a 'moral' standpoint I agree but I think it would require some changes to tax law etc. or it would become too easy to exploit as a mere financial scheme.
Btw, polygamy includes polyandry. What you are looking for is polgyny.

My comment to the "financial exploit" is... so? 

:)

pieces o nine

I was all prepared for door-to-door evangelists today.

The bastards didn't even have the decency to show up.

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling DavidH

Quote from: royWent to see Chas 'n' Dave in concert.

Hi, Roy!  Come and see us more often.  I'd almost forgotten about Chas 'n' Dave - they're good fun.

Opsa

Quote from: pieces o nine on April 01, 2013, 01:35:39 AM
I was all prepared for door-to-door evangelists today.

The bastards didn't even have the decency to show up.

They had the day off. Surprisingly my local Chinese carry-out did, too.

Hi roystonoboogie!

Aggie

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on April 01, 2013, 01:32:04 AM
I got no quarrel in the slightest if adults wish to engage in group marriages.  There are any number of logical reasons why that model would be superior in all ways, to just two people-- for one thing, there'd always be multiple points of view to expose the kids to many different ways of looking at the world.

For another, pooling the financial resources makes for more luxuries all around; which is what can help to make life sweet.

And still another-- if the group is careful of each other's needs?  There's always a babysitter available--one familiar to the kiddies too, and no worries about stranger-danger.

The way things are going, it makes quite a bit of sense to have families composed of two wage earners + one child-raiser.  Of course, if that became a usual state of affairs, I'm sure they'd find a way to make three-income families a necessity. The Powers That Be prefer that all able hands be employed to help boost GDP. :P
WWDDD?

Quote from: Aggie on April 02, 2013, 07:15:37 AM
Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on April 01, 2013, 01:32:04 AM
I got no quarrel in the slightest if adults wish to engage in group marriages.  There are any number of logical reasons why that model would be superior in all ways, to just two people-- for one thing, there'd always be multiple points of view to expose the kids to many different ways of looking at the world.

And still another-- if the group is careful of each other's needs?  There's always a babysitter available--one familiar to the kiddies too, and no worries about stranger-danger.

The way things are going, it makes quite a bit of sense to have families composed of two wage earners + one child-raiser.  Of course, if that became a usual state of affairs, I'm sure they'd find a way to make three-income families a necessity. The Powers That Be prefer that all able hands be employed to help boost GDP. :P

Yep.  If they could, the GOP would go back to slavery.

Swatopluk

No, from their POV slavery is backwards because it still implies some (if even tiny) obligations of the owner. The modern hire and fire gets rid of that completely. A slave owner who let his slaves starve when their working days were over was still frowned upon (even if it was legal). A company firing invalid workers without compensation? No problem, a corporation may be people but is has no shame and it is (usually) totally legal. And 'tort reform' guarantees that even valid complaints have no chance. Wage slavery beats the old-fashioned one in all conceivable ways.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Aggie

Some industries/workplaces use quite a bit of unpaid 'intern' labour, with no obligations whatsoever. Even better than wage-slavery. :P
WWDDD?