News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What significant things have I done today?

Started by Griffin NoName, April 02, 2008, 08:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

Quote from: Ranchao on November 09, 2012, 09:24:16 AM
Quote from: Opsa on June 03, 2012, 05:04:46 PM
Last night we took part in a Relay for Life in our area, and it was a most amazing thing. The event is an annual fundraiser for cancer research, and this year it took place at a local high school track. Groups set up tents around the inside lawn area of the track and participants could walk all night long. They could have pledges for miles walked, or simply come and walk and buy baubles and food, the sale of which went to battling cancer. There was lots of music, funky costumes, and really nice tributes.

The most moving part was a luminaria ceremony, which took place around 10pm. The stadium lights went down, and a woman with a gorgeous voice sang a song called "I'm Gonna Love You Through It" while the opposite bleachers spelled out "HOPE", and then "CURE" with luminaries, and the entire ring got lit with luminaria. Then they sent up four candled hot air balloons into the perfect, moonlit night, each one representing  another aspect of people who have fought, are fighting, or have defeated cancer (parents, children, siblings and friends) and I had a thought go up for each of these, including some for our fellow Toadfish siblings. It was just beautiful.

If you get a chance to go to one of these things, do it. I know I will go again.
Great event. We need to appreciate such events to fight cancer

Ahoy there, Ranchao! Welcome to the Toadfish Monastery! Won't you please say hello in our Start Here area, perhaps in the Hello! thread, or in one of your own? I think the others would like to meet you.

Sibling DavidH

We decided at Echo that we will organise our own Christmas dinner this year.  Local firms have already promised us turkeys, sausages and bacon; now we're cadging the vegetables.

Today at Friday Club we made the puddings.  The participants peeled and squeezed the oranges and lemons, grated apples and suchlike, then everyone put some ingredients in the bowl and had a stir.  Even the very seriously disabled people helped, with a bit of hand-holding.  It was happy chaos but the stuff has come out OK - now we have to put it in bowls and boil it.

I'm absolutely exhausted.

Great pity - no photos, as one chap is terrified of flashes.  Even if you promise there'll be no flash, he's shivering with fear, so we just don't take any these days.

Griffin NoName

Shame about the fear.

I received notification of a tax rebate.

No actual refund yet, just notification. Usual disclaimer, if their calculationi is wrong, I have to give the money back.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Midway through writing a cookbook for the restaurant.  I was given a target of one week to re-scale, test-kitchen, develop and write recipes for about 30 or 40 dishes.  Thankfully, formatting, style and photography are not on my to-do list.
WWDDD?

Opsa

Whoa! Good luck on that.

My children's theater has been asked to become an affiliate of the local community center, which I hope will help us out. Filled out forms in September. Affiliation was approved. Now, more forms to fill out on Thursday.

The community center is run by Parks and Recreation, which is government-run. I am a little wary of this, since I worked at the library as a clerk years ago and there was a silly amount of red tape for that part-time job, for instance I couldn't leave the building for my lunch break. But, I think that we might be able to swing some storage space there and make a better theater of ourselves, so I'm going for it.

Sibling DavidH

Go for it, Opsa!  But red tape - yes, we know about that where Echo interfaces with local government.  :o

Good luck!

pieces o nine

Perhaps not actually 'significant' but I got caught up on all outstanding posts here and at TOP last night, while feasting my eyeballs upon *TWO* news programs on the television (after two months of Vast Wasteland fasting -- yays!), then checking for what has happened in the last couple months with my favorite YouTube channels. I will not say when I pried my cold, crazed hands from the keyboard, but it was late...

My big plans for achievement *today* are to get a good night's sleep.   :)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Opsa

Yay, Pieces!!!  :crabbie:

Today I had a meeting at the community center with a retired drama teacher who wants to help with the theater program! I have been looking for someone who could seriously help for a while now. I hope he'll do! It would take a lot of pressure off me.

pieces o nine

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling DavidH

Hope you got a good kip, Pieces, and that this bloke turns out OK, Opsa.

Griffin NoName

Been to the dental hygenist with my bleeding gums.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Got out of bed and ate something. I was able to do neither of those things yesterday due to a high fever (probable flu).
WWDDD?

Sibling DavidH

Glad it's clearing up, Aggie.

Quote from: GriffinBeen to the dental hygenist with my bleeding gums.

What happened?

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on January 11, 2013, 09:46:22 AM

Quote from: GriffinBeen to the dental hygenist with my bleeding gums.

What happened?

At the hygenist? She cleaned my teeth which meant the gums hurt more afterwards. Or about the bleeding? - that's due to the CFS - general ill health; lots of my body bits don't work properly.
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling DavidH

Oh, dear.

Wendy and I are in charge of Friday Club for the next several months.  We had a good session today.  Young B- can only interact with others by clapping her hands while you clap yours.  Today we had a breakthrough: she clapped one of my hands with one of hers.