News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What significant things have I done today?

Started by Griffin NoName, April 02, 2008, 08:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

I stayed as close to the story as language allowed. It forced me to add one sentence to the answer about where granny lives ('one can see the chimney fro here'). I cut out verbose parts from the Grimm version and kept to the basics, i.e. no talk about the origin of the hood, no discussion why the hunter* does not use a firearm or why he thinks that there is a chance of rescue in the first place. The soliloquy on the wolf's sinfulness also did not make it. And I ended it with the dance. Nothing is said about Red getting home and having a similar encounter not long after where another wolf besieges granny's cottage and is in the end drowned by Red and granny in a tub of sausage water (that is in the last version the Grimms published).

*the woodcutter did not enter the story before it became English. Btw, why is it a riding hood with no horse in sight?
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

This should be in the did you know..... thread, but it fits here as good topic drift.

"''Organsprache'' literally means organ-speech (1925). But a twit called Van Teslaar translated it by inventing a word : Somatisation in 1935. This then got into the lingo by psychiatrists using it, with a meaning of manifesting mental issues as symptoms of the body.......... of course Soma has NOTHING to do with mental issues, it means body from the Greek. Somatising a virus may make your nose runny, but oh no, you must have a personality Disorder if your nose is runny. This is how language gets adulterated by idiots and psychiatrists who want to be more important than anyone else. Oh and blame Freud too.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Opsa

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

The Freud with slippers I use as an avatar on some sites?

My carer came and we sorted out a half wardrobe (rubbish/chairty/re-house) and emptied a suitcase with stuff from a trip 2 years ago. It takes around 2 hours to do this. Which is my limit. Loads still to do, but have liberated all floorspace of clothes in bedroom now so beginning to feel a sense of achievement. Not there quite yet. Also there are other piles of stuff on floor, just not clothes any more.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Opsa

Excellent!

Today I have (almost) done laundry, sorted out the makeup for the Haunted House tours I'm leading tonight and tomorrow night (as Prunella Mangelwurzel), and made brownies for the kids who are volunteering as ghouls. This will be my last act as children's theater director. Thank the Great Whatever!

I'm also painting faces tomorrow at a town fair, and I made a sign for that and got the materials ready.

pieces o nine

*virtually sneaks virtual brownie in reocgnition of your achievement *
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Opsa

*That's okay, we sneaked a few ourselves!*  ;)

I'm exhausted!

The face painting was supposed to last three hours, from noon until 3pm. I had designed some Dias de la Muertos make-up ideas and it was so popular that finally at 4pm we had to turn people away. I had been standing and painting faces for four hours, practically oblivious to everything else. I found that I enjoyed it. This may be where I'm heading next, as far as freelance work. I have all ready been asked to paint faces at the Christmas parade.

pieces o nine

Cool!  Low overhead, easy to maintain equipment (or discard some brushes between customers for some events?), and a product/service which is affordable, fun, does not require storage, has a repeat clientele, and lets you be creative even within a client's requests.

Can you post photos from your next event?

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"

Opsa

I'll see what I can do. I was so busy at the last one I couldn't barely pause between customers. I would have loved to have some photos of the faces I painted.

Aggie

See if you can enlist a volunteer photographer to work the camera while you're busy. :)
WWDDD?

Opsa

pieces o nine

See if you can charge them for copies of the photos of their painted face!    :D

Swatopluk

I passed the exam for eingeschränkte Sachkunde (Chemikalien) nach §5 ChemVerbV.
In common language: Now I can (leaglly) hand out/sell nasty chemicals (except agricultural pesticides) for a licenced company to private users. Without it I could only do so to professionals and on order by someone who has passed the exam.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I left all the pieces ready for my Philippine developers so that they can finish the project faster than it would have been possible otherwise.

I'll miss this country, but I also miss my bed, my family and my regular EST time zone, and in about 24 hours I should be at home.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.