News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Snark/rant

Started by Scriblerus the Philosophe, October 10, 2006, 02:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

What's the point then? It is really a glorified day care then >:(
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Ha. There is no point, other than to be a glorified corral. That's why she tried to resign, but the superintendent refused to accept it.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

Why would someone refuse a resignation? I mean, if the person really wants to stop working for someone, THEY WILL. It's not illegal not to show up for work, you'll just get fired, which is possibly what you're looking for.

~Qwerty
Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one them, it gets up and kills. The poeple it kills get up and kill!

http://qwertysvapourtrail.blogspot.com/

Alpaca

Sometimes there's a contractual obligation thing.
There is a pleasure sure to being mad
That only madmen know.
--John Dryden

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

meaning it would be illegal to not go to work?
Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one them, it gets up and kills. The poeple it kills get up and kill!

Alpaca

Insofar as it would be a violation of a legally binding contract, and therefore the school district could take the teacher to court if it so chose.

Perhaps when the teacher is employed, the  teacher agrees to teach for a full year before renewing or not renewing the contract?
That only madmen know.
--John Dryden

She considered just not showing up for quite some time. But she did show, for whatever reason. I'm not familiar with the district's contracts with the teachers, so I can't say what it was.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Sibling Chatty

Generally, a teaching contract is for the entire school year, signed prior to the end of the previous school year. Some teachers will hold out on signing until August if they are thinking about finding another job, but most sign up in may or early June.

Trying to void a contract with some districts is impossible, and trying to get another teaching job if you've reneged on a contract is impossible. Yes, they'll accept a premature resignation for things like illness or the need to move because your family is relocating (one friend was released from her contract because her husband was being sent to Germany for 3 years, but if it had been a Stateside relocation, they wouldn't have released her) OR they'll suggest a premature release if you make yourself a big enough PITA, but most districts use the threat of losing the summer paychecks (most teachers are paid their contract amount over 12 months, making budgeting easier).

My closest friends are teachers, and we've gone through YEARS of contract negotiations and trying to resign for good reason, etc. where I get to be the "objective party". It's interesting that of the two closest, one has gone to teaching adult education courses (literacy, GED and ESL) and the other has become an administrator rather than stay in regular classroom teaching. both LOVED teaching high schoolers, they just couldn't deal with the Powers That Be in the districts in their area.
This sig area under construction.

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

"God create idiots for practice, then he created school boards" - Mark Twain

'nuff said.

Tru that.

I hate driving on the high way. I go about the speed limit, and I still get passed by people zipping along at 80MPH. I think it was Anthro who referred to it as driving like your butt is on fire. Very apt.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

As long as you drive on the right lane...  ;)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

I hate being hooted at loudly for driving at the speed limit, then being overtaken dangerously.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Alpaca

I hate everybody on the highway, essentially.

I generally take the center lane, and do about 70, which is perfectly reasonable for the type of highways that we have.

I'm frightened of the ones who weave around between lanes because 90 isn't fast enough. I know they're so fixated on going faster that they just assume their lane changes are as skillful as the ones in high-speed chase scenes in action movies. I need to avoid being hit, and at the same time need to make sure any evasive maneuvers on my part don't result in someone else getting hit. Too much of a burden for cruising, IMHO.

On the other hand, there are the ones who drive slowly. Even if slowly is above the speed limit. Now, the minimum speed 'round these parts is 40, and if anyone wants to drive like that, I take no offense - as long as it stays in the right lane. I abhor the morons who are simultaneously afraid to drive as fast as the other people in the left lane and yet feel it would reflect poorly on the size of their automobile-penises to switch over one lane to the right. Partly thanks to people like that that we get the lane-weave-in-between-ers. If the left lane wasn't obstructed, then maybe the speed-demons could tempt fate in orderly single file.
That only madmen know.
--John Dryden

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

I hate... the ability not to be pissed off at highway people because I can't drive.

(highway men, however, is a different story)

I do like looking at other people driving though. most of them are old or on a cell phone/applying makeup/drinking something/otherwise wasting space.

I mean, there are a LOT of old people driving for some reason.

at least where I live.

Griffin NoName

You have a minimum speed limit?

We only have a maximum. With three lane motorways that means inner lane for slowcoaches, middle lane for speed limit and outer lane for speeding - except other drivers don't seem to understand that ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand