News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

My dream car(s) is/are:

Started by Sibling Chatty, November 02, 2006, 10:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Yep!  Kind of like the new ones, too...  but they cross the line to SUV territory.  The old model (mine) are $20,000 vehicles that outdo their $30,000 competition; the new ones are $30,000 vehicles looking to go head-to-head with $40,000+ models (base model prices, but the base model is still a nice package; who else throws in heated mirrors etc. on the lowest model?)

Hyundai cars are still wonderfully underpriced; Canadians hold on to their cars for years and years so people here still remember the Pony and think Hyundai = Crap.  I've heard that the deals are even better in the US - they are really working hard to shake their image.  I've heard reliably that Hyundais are cheaper here than in Korea; over there they are the top brand and sell at a premium compared to other domestics.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Darlica on July 30, 2007, 08:58:16 PM
If I was sure the Subaru would actually stay in one piece even after the last date of the two year warranty I'll think about I'm but I'm not...
According to the long term charts I've seen Subaru's have a very good quality (or I wouldn't have gone that way). We had Toyotas before and I can assure how good those are. My family (and my first car) has always had Renaults and I do like them very much so you may be Ok.  :)
Quote from: Agujjim on July 30, 2007, 10:43:51 PM
Hyundai cars are still wonderfully underpriced; Canadians hold on to their cars for years and years so people here still remember the Pony and think Hyundai = Crap.  I've heard that the deals are even better in the US - they are really working hard to shake their image.  I've heard reliably that Hyundais are cheaper here than in Korea; over there they are the top brand and sell at a premium compared to other domestics.
Back home (Colombia) Hyundays are sold well and the fact that taxi drivers use them without complain is a good measure of quality (if you've driven in Colombia you'd understand ;))
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

I'm getting a bit suspicious of Toyota; Phil Edmonston (author of Lemon Aid car ratings books) notes that Toyota and Honda have let quality slide a bit in past years and are riding on their good names to sell vehicles.  Dad has a Corolla and has been very happy with it and used ones tend to be a good value.

I was strongly considering a Matrix, but the Santa Fe was more car for less money.  One of my friends bought a Matrix and said she'd have liked to get something bigger like ours if she had the money - turns out she paid about $3000 more (base model). ;D
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The only thing I can tell you is that we've got 2 Toyotas about 7 years ago, a Corolla and an Echo (Yaris everywhere else) and I can't complain. The Echo was made in Japan and has required less maintenance than the Corolla (made in the US), but both are quite good cars. If I want to change my Echo is because I would like something with a stiffer suspension, but I actually like the car a lot.

On a related note, I saw a magazine with long term quality charts and Toyota was on top (regarding the number of complaints), so I guess they are still Ok ;)

Aggie

Yeah, I'd trust them still.  We also had Echos up here until 2006/2007; if I was going for a very small car I'd get one.
WWDDD?

Sibling Chatty

To this day, I have yet to see a car that will out-perform (normal conditions) or out-comfort a 1992 Camry, including the Mercedes that I got to drive when my Mercedes owning friend needed something that would pick up 2 travelers and their luggage at the airport.

Of course, that was before a moron wrecked my Camry for me...

With the little 4-banger, it was fairly economical (VERY economical compared to most cars that size) but Toyota's gone downhill since then. I wouldn't want a new Camry, for sure.

Another 92? OH, yes, please....
================
This sig area under construction.

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Really? (My mother has a black cherry colored Scion XA that I covet.)

I really want one of those that little old mail trucks. One of these, more or less. http://farm1.static.flickr.com/143/319181113_0cdde10448_m.jpg

Noisey and no A/C (VERY important where I live in the summer) but I still want one.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Alpaca

Tesla all the way! (If only, if only.)

And it's not just because Nikola Tesla was amazing.
There is a pleasure sure to being mad
That only madmen know.
--John Dryden

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

I've recently fell in love with a car - Volkswagen Eos:

I'm back..

Aggie

I've always liked the looks of the Lotus Elise...   I saw one in a parking lot on the way to work today.

:faint: :panic: :woohoo: :kiss2: :YaY:

Went back and drooled over it in the pouring rain.  WANT. 

I'm gonna go look at it again if it's still there at lunch.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

That is the kind of car I can't have. I already have a heavy right foot, with something like that I would be getting tickets left and right. BTW, I love the small engine.
---
On a (thread) related note, I'm reading that one of my dream cars (Mercedes 540K) has pretty much the same (or less) performance than my Echo, 106 mph/170kmh on the supercharged version.  :o (excluding mpg, obviously  :mrgreen:).

Aggie

It's the kind of car that shouldn't be wasted on me....  I drive slowly and cautiously. ;)

But if I was going to buy a toy car (assuming too much money and a need to spend it), it would be a serious option and rival for the Genesis Coupe I had earmarked for this position.  Either would show up Dad's Miata. ::)
WWDDD?

Alpaca

Assuming I had a second obscene wad of cash lying around after the Tesla, I'd blow it on this.

Partly because of the excellent driving experience my dad's TT has provided for the past little-more-than-a-year I've actually been allowed to touch it.
There is a pleasure sure to being mad
That only madmen know.
--John Dryden

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Speaking of the Tesla I mentioned this in other thread:
[youtube=425,350]OI2iCE51R9U[/youtube]
I waaaaaaant!

The Meromorph

My new dream car is a BMW R1100R Motorcycle.
Dances with Motorcycles.