News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

PZ Myers' Friday Cephalopods

Started by Aphos, November 19, 2007, 03:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aphos

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on June 10, 2010, 08:49:57 AM
OK, but how the */?!* do you fit a nappy on that baby?

The topology is interesting, but not that complicated...at least compared to 6 dimensional manifolds.
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Aphos

Opsa

Gorgeous! Those tendrils remind me of those holiday lights that are strung in clear plastic tubes.

Swatopluk

This one looks truly alien but not necessarily evil.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

pieces o nine

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Aphos

Sibling DavidH

I can't tell how big it is.  I'd call it pretty if it's under 6" but downright scary if over 2 feet.  :mrgreen:

Aphos

This is a male Pelagic Octopus.  The males are only about 10 cm (4 in) in length.  The females are much larger at about 1 m (3 ft) in length.  Here is a female...

Sibling DavidH

OK, the male is pretty and the female is scary.  This is what one so often finds in life.  :D

pieces o nine

Quote from: Rudyard Kipling'Twas the women, not the warriors, turned those stark enthusiasts pale -
For the female of the species is more deadly than the male.

;)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Opsa

Hey- I'd be scary too, if someone was pinching my head like that!

Aphos

It's Friday once again, and now we have...

Squids Making Woo!!!

I've got to say, this is another of those squid photos that looks more like a drawing than a photo.

These are members of the genus Sepioteuthis.  It doesn't say what species.  Here is a photo from the Wikipedia article on the genus.  I find this photo eerily beautiful.

Sibling DavidH

Quote from: AphosI find this photo eerily beautiful.

I agree, but it's right scary, too.  He looks like his beady eyes are sizing you up.  As to the other two - if that's how they reproduce, no wonder they look so weird.  :mrgreen:

Opsa

I think they're supremely beautiful. Are their eyes literally glowing? (Or is it just all that woo?  ;) )

This morning th'Opsalette and her friend were watching "Ponyo", and every time an octopus would show up they would shout "OCTOPUS" !

Aphos

Quote from: Opsanus tau on June 18, 2010, 06:52:56 PM
Are their eyes literally glowing?

I'm not certain, but I think it likely their eyes are somewhat like cat eyes in that they have a reflective layer behind the retina.  That is a common adaptation to low light conditions.  The light is reflected back through the retina which gives the light sensitive cells a second chance to pick up the image.  That is why cat eyes "glow" at night.  You are seeing the light reflected back out.