News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

PZ Myers' Friday Cephalopods

Started by Aphos, November 19, 2007, 03:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

As literally earthborn creatures they can be expected to be dirty :mrgreen:
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Opsa

Quote from: Swatopluk on May 23, 2010, 07:49:34 AM
That's one of the giants that fought the gods.
Those are not tentacles! Those are copulating with your female parent ophidians on the copulating with your female parent mythological plane of existence!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/DSC04529a_Istanbul_-_Museo_archeol._-_Gigantomachia_-_sec._II_d.C._-_da_Afrodisia_-_Foto_G._Dall%27Orto_28-5-2006.jpg

Good lord, he's got snakes for legs! Maybe Athena there is saying "...and don't come crawling back to me!"

Swatopluk

Athena has the head with snake hair on her shield (tastefully not pointed at the viewer).

http://peterswordoftheday.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/aegis.jpg

pieces o nine

Quote from: Opsanus tauGood lord, he's got snakes for legs! Maybe Athena there is saying "...and don't come crawling back to me!"

:D
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Aggie

Quote from: Swatopluk on May 23, 2010, 07:49:34 AM
That's one of the giants that fought the gods.
Those are not tentacles! Those are copulating with your female parent ophidians on the copulating with your female parent mythological plane of existence!

:1stprize:

I still haven't got around to seeing that movie.  :mrgreen:
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

New discovery: Ancestor (500 million years ago) of modern squids had only two tentacles

http://www.morgenpost.de/multimedia/archive/00657/krake_DW_Wissenscha_657067b.jpg

Aphos

Aw, Swato, you beat me to it.

PZ has a post up about this little guy...

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/05/mother_of_all_squid.php

About 2 inches (4 cm) long.

Previously, there was only one rather poor fossil for this species.  Recently, they discovered 91 fairly well preserved fossils, allowing for much more detail to be discovered.

He's causing some reconsideration about cephalopod evolution.
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Opsa

he looks like some kind of Pixar Studios character. Petrushka the Prehistoric Squidling?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

What would've Stravinsky thought about that reference?
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Opsa

Hopefully he would not take it as an insult to his work! Maybe I would have to preface it with our taddy admiration for the squidling, as well as all things prehistoric. Of course, if he was a creationist, he might be a bit miffed at the assumption of prehistoric beasties.

Aphos

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Babies!
---
Quote from: Opsanus tau on May 28, 2010, 09:28:49 PM
Hopefully he would not take it as an insult to his work! Maybe I would have to preface it with our taddy admiration for the squidling, as well as all things prehistoric. Of course, if he was a creationist, he might be a bit miffed at the assumption of prehistoric beasties.
According to wikipedia:
QuoteThe Rite of Spring was further popularized through Walt Disney's Fantasia (1940), an animated  feature film in which original animated images and stories were combined with works of classical music.
[snip]
Stravinsky described the performance as "execrable" and thought the segment as a whole "involved a dangerous misunderstanding".
I know the guy was rigorous and extremely critical of many things, so the association to one of his works (Petroushka) to Fantasia might've given him urticaria. As for him being creationist, I can't find any relation to that, he was religious (Orthodox) but incredibly well educated so it's hard to tell. Now, politically -according to politicalcompass.org- he was a right wing authoritarian:

As to how much can you extrapolate from that I don't know. :dontknow:
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Opsa

Ha! Off topic, but fascinating, all the same! Ya wanna start that in another discussion?

Dem squidlings look like boids!

Aphos

What does one call a bunch of squidlings?

The Meromorph

A "mob of squidlings"  (Oxford version)
A "maul of squidlings" (Cambridge version)
A "boiling of squidlings" (Scottish version)
A "banquet of squidlings" (Japanese version)

:P
Dances with Motorcycles.