News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

PZ Myers' Friday Cephalopods

Started by Aphos, November 19, 2007, 03:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

That is quite cool. Incredibly is only now that they use coconuts (instead of sea shells) that the behavior is considered tool use.  :-\
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aphos

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on December 16, 2009, 09:21:55 PM
That is quite cool. Incredibly is only now that they use coconuts (instead of sea shells) that the behavior is considered tool use.  :-\

Yes, that thought had crossed my mind, too.  If an octopus taking shelter in a coconut is tool use, should a hermit crab using a seashell also be considered tool use?
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Swatopluk

I think a difference is that the hermit crab just takes permanent possession of its shell and will not dispose (temporarily) of it when it has something else to do (except during skin change). The shell is simply home. The octopus on the other hand was observed to store coconut shells for later use. Also the crabs seem not to have to learn the trick. In at least one subspecies it is so built in to use only the shells of a certain species that the disappearence of the latter threatens extinction of the crab. Now artificial copies of these shells are (and have to be) distributed by humans.
The use of (clam)shells for protection by octopuses is btw nothing new as these images from a documentary several decades old show. But in this case it was a female guarding her eggs and therefore staying in one place, not carrying the shell around. Interestingly the shell was collected without knowing that an octopus was in it and the eggs were spotted even later.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x97/Swatopluk/Krake1.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x97/Swatopluk/krake2.jpg
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Opsa

I still don't think of it quite as tool use. Squirrels collect nuts for future use. If the octopus used the coconut shell to break open something else, that might be tool use.

I just love the way the octo sort of squats in the shell and gallops at the same time. Wonderful motion.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

But they collect the coconuts as a shelter not as food and even in that case would put the octopus in the same league as a mammal.

The distinction with the hermits as Swato pointed out is that we are talking of a learned behavior (using an atypical object as shelter and moving it to a selected location) as opposed to an instinctive one (like the crab), more so, manipulating the object to fit a need (using two halves and closing them around) while similar to using the shells of a bivalve implies the realization (abstract thinking) of analogous use. If anything it confirms the status of cephalopods as the smartest invertebrates with an intelligence on the same level as a mammal.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aphos

Quote from: Opsanus tau on December 17, 2009, 08:35:22 PM
I still don't think of it quite as tool use. Squirrels collect nuts for future use. If the octopus used the coconut shell to break open something else, that might be tool use.

I just love the way the octo sort of squats in the shell and gallops at the same time. Wonderful motion.

Have you seen a film of an iridescent cuttlefish?  They rarely swim.  Mostly, they get around by walking on the sea bottom.  They walk on their two fins and two of their tentacles.  It is a strange, stately walk, slow and dignified...as if to say..."*I* am extremely poisonous.  *I* don't need to hurry."

Aphos

A new picture today.

My, isn't he a spiffy looking guy?

Aphos

Merry Xmas!

And, oh yeah, a holiday appropriate cephalopod.

Swatopluk

Opsa

Quote from: Aphos on December 18, 2009, 01:52:38 PM
A new picture today.

My, isn't he a spiffy looking guy?

Sorry I missed this when you first posted it. I really like him. He looks like a surfboard!

I'd call the red and white guy Santalapod!

pieces o nine

Quote from: Opsanus tau on December 26, 2009, 03:12:21 PM
Sorry I missed this when you first posted it. I really like him. He looks like a surfboard!

I'd call the red and white guy Santalapod!

Oh, please don't!
DaveL myght shoot thee wee squirmy blaggard in frustrayshun at missin ole Sandy Claws agin...
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Opsa

Aye, yer right, matey.

But eed prbly miss this one, as well... :bees:

Aphos

Weird.  I thought I had posted this.  Anyway...

Here is a cute & cuddly octopus for ya...

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/01/friday_cephalopod_affectionate.php

Aphos

Swatopluk