News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Do You Really Have Perfect English Skills?

Started by Griffin NoName, January 06, 2015, 08:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Do You Really Have Perfect English Skills?

I got:

Grammar Slammer

Exemplary, my liege! Your mastery of American English is unparalleled (not unparalelled as so many would believe) and your abundant knowledge is greatly appreciated (what, with there being a societal deprivation of such). Your innate intelligence is applied dutifully and naturally to such concepts as predicates, complements, objects, nouns, verbs, adjectives, and -GASP- spelling words correctly and/or using them in proper context! We bow to you, Grammar Master! Carrieth thy banner high and mighty!

Unfortunately they don't give the actual score but I can only assume I got them all right, except for the one that did not contain a correct answer to choose, where I must have chosen the best wrong answer.

http://www.playbuzz.com/jonb10/do-you-really-have-perfect-english
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

goat starer

----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Griffin NoName

Well done Goat. I suspect this may be age related because I don't think children now are teached like wot we were.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Nope, I wasn't, and got about two questions in before figuring out I didn't have the necessary jargon to get through it.

My high-school English experience was pretty dismal (mostly I remember other students reading out loud, and some untutored forced attempts at creative writing), and I'm functionally literate enough that I've never felt the need to learn the right terminology.
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

It seems odd to me that one learns the grammar of whatever foreign language they teach at school, but don't teach the grammar of the native language. Seems like a non-brainer.
Psychic Hotline Host

Aggie

There were a lot of non-brainers at my high school (and my recurring English teacher was senile, stoned or both...), so I think some semblance of functional literacy for as many students as possible was the main goal. :P
WWDDD?

Darlica

Grammar Slammer

Colour me surprised...
I'm not good at grammar never was, I just exclude what I know it isn't...  ;D
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

Grammar slammer too.
Asking for technical terms is (imo) problematic though. One can know the functions extremly well without knowing the terms. At least in German there are many synonyms for the same things. I learned the Latin terms at school and do not understand some older German grammar books because they use obscure German terms. With the elder generation it is the other way around. They know the old terms but do not understand the ones derived from Latin.

Btw, it's the same in chemistry. e.g. 'blausaures Eisenoxyduloxyd' = 'Hexacyanoferrat' or 'doppelt kohlensaures Kali' = 'Kaliumhydrogencarbonat' (and those are comparatively harmless). And when Scheele studied 'cream of tartar' it did not mean that he was a lover of soft cheese but that he was dealing with the properties of Weinstein (wine rock, a salt of an organic acid found in wine; easier in English where the stuff is known as a salt of tartaric acid).

Questions of the type: which is the correct form here? are imo much more useful.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.