News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Guess the Movie

Started by Kiyoodle the Gambrinous, December 11, 2006, 11:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

LOL@SC and goodness I am going to have to do some full frontals. I'll see if I can organise one.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Griffin NoName

For a film that won "Best" awards this is amazingly un guessable, which says a lot for the title.

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bruder Cuzzen

I haven't a any har ware going to send a pic so i cant say who these  plain looking folks ARR! ...

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Chatty

Regular citizens in a film. What a concept...
This sig area under construction.

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

Opsa

The blonde guy looks like Donald Sutherland.

"Ordinary People"?

Sibling Chatty

BINGO!!

Griffin will be by soon to tell you, but, yes it's Ordinary People.

Mary Tyler Moore, Judd Hirsch and that guy, the kid...

Also, the movie that made Pachabel's Canon famous.

goat starer

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on December 03, 2007, 11:01:44 PM

yeah coz for exactly 300 years (to the year) it had rested in obscurity!  :ROFL:

you are funny
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Griffin NoName

Yes it is Donald Sutherland. Yes it is............. Ordinary People.

and I thought it was YouTube and kid with the guitar that made  Pachabel's Canon famous. ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

Opsa

Whew, I thought we'd never get it.

Hey, I just ried to post a photo and got
"The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator. " It was not a big file.

Sibling Chatty

Quote from: goat starer on December 03, 2007, 11:59:19 PM

yeah coz for exactly 300 years (to the year) it had rested in obscurity!  :ROFL:

you are funny

People with a musical education or some exposure to classical music may well have known it.

After that film every goober in the mall knew what it was, even if they had to learn that it wasn't Taco Bell's Cannon.

What AGE were you at that point?? Do I need to point out that YOU were young enough at the time that you do NOT appreciate how little-known that bit of classical music was? Yes, you and your contemporaries KNOW it. Time travel back to 1975 with a cassette (No CD's remember? Cassettes had finally replaced 8-tracks) and see how many persons on the street would have recognized it.

::) ::) ::)

BTW, if you're so stone on about knowing all about it--letting the spelling go isn't like you.

Canon and Gigue in D major for three Violins and Basso Continuo  by Johann Pachelbel "languished in obscurity" for most of its three centuries according to commentaries on IMSLP (International Music Score Library Project) a few years ago. You, at WHAT age in 1980, know better?

goat starer

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on December 04, 2007, 10:14:29 PM
Quote from: goat starer on December 03, 2007, 11:59:19 PM

you are funny

People with a musical education or some exposure to classical music may well have known it.

After that film every goober in the mall knew what it was, even if they had to learn that it wasn't Taco Bell's Cannon.

What AGE were you at that point?? Do I need to point out that YOU were young enough at the time that you do NOT appreciate how little-known that bit of classical music was? Yes, you and your contemporaries KNOW it. Time travel back to 1975 with a cassette (No CD's remember? Cassettes had finally replaced 8-tracks) and see how many persons on the street would have recognized it.

::) ::) ::)

BTW, if you're so stone on about knowing all about it--letting the spelling go isn't like you.

Canon and Gigue in D major for three Violins and Basso Continuo  by Johann Pachelbel "languished in obscurity" for most of its three centuries according to commentaries on IMSLP (International Music Score Library Project) a few years ago. You, at WHAT age in 1980, know better?

I am most terribly sorry. I am afraid I am English. We all listen to classical music and drink tea alll day. We dont have 'malls' or 'goobers'!
I was six in 1980 and my nanny had been playing me classical music and taking me for strolls around the botanical gardens for 3 years whilst reading me the complete works of shakespeare and, for light entertainment, Wittgenstein.

I realise that in 1980 (or as it is properly known 'the wild west') you colonials were too concerned with keeping the 'redskins' out of your 'wagons', finding enough beans to eat and lynching anyone with funny skin to have the time for improvement but suffice to say that in my uncles record collection I have a copy of this wonderful piece of music dating from some considerable time before the 1980's. As does my mother, her four sisters, her mother and every true British subject. These are on gramophone records of course. We would prefer to still be using wax cylinders but the moths play merry hell with them don't you know. I have no idea what these 'cassettes' and 'CDs' of which ou speak may be but they sound frightful!

Letting the spelling go was unforgivable and I must offer my most sincere apologies.

Yours with the deepest respect

Goat esq.

;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D ;D ;D :D ;D :D ;D  :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D :D :D ;D :D :D

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Sibling Chatty

You DO get the meaning, though?

You were six. You WEREN'T conversant with the musical knowledge of a large portion of adult society, were you?

I was 28. I had been a music major in university, I played chamber music for a few years, my mother was a concert musician. I DID understand a bit about popular knowledge of even the most familiar classical compositions.

OK, what it boils down to is...what's "popular" and what's well known in even classical music is cyclical. The Canon went from 'some classical thing' to being on the Top 40 in the hit record charts with the release of that film.

A bit of cultural information from the colonies, where we're not quite as civilized, but we DO know the difference between a decade and a century... :P

goat starer

that is like saying that barbers adagio was obscure until Platoon made it famous! it is silly. The popularity of something is a pretty poor measure of its true fame as it takes no account of timescale. The Canon was much more famous in 1979 than anything popular music has thrown up because it had survived 300 years and was still being played in my house and thousands of others like it. I am fairly serious about the colonial stuff. From the outside it looks like a vastly smaller proportion of people ion the states have any kind of outward looking view of culture. I am sure this was obscure in North America but it was not in the UK.

PS. do you honestly think the wild west ended in the 1800's?

http://www.economist.com/images/20060311/20060311issuecovUS400.jpg

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara