News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Guess the Movie

Started by Kiyoodle the Gambrinous, December 11, 2006, 11:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pieces o nine

Quote from: SwatoplukFamous director (Hitchcock, Welles)? US or European?
1.) Not yet.
2.) Neither of the above.   :D

Quote from: SwatoplukActually b/w or are these just b/w stills from a color movie (or are only the flashbacks b/w)?
Film is predominantly B&W. There are clips of films within the film, several of which are, interestingly, in color.

Quote from: Griffin NoNameCarry On Up the Teacups?
More like Carry On My Wayward Son.   :D

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hint #5: a typical day on the job:

Hints #6a,b,c: management headaches at the *other* job:

\

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Swatopluk

Since it does not look African or Asian, that leaves not much but non-US America. Or are you amoong those that do not consider the UK to be part of Europe? ;)

Canadian? Before or after 1985?
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Confused; had we established it was non-US ?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

The day the Earth Caught Fire?
The angels have the phone box

Swatopluk

Quote from: Griffin NoName on August 01, 2009, 01:05:49 PM

Confused; had we established it was non-US ?

I concluded that "neither" referred to US and Europe because it was stated already that it was no famous director (and thus the separate 'neither' would not refer to Welles or Hitchcock)

pieces o nine

Quote from: pieces o nine
Quote from: SwatoplukFamous director (Hitchcock, Welles)? US or European?
1.) Not yet.
2.) Neither of the above.   :D
Clarification:
"Famous?" not yet (in that the director is not a common household name) but did direct a critically acclaimed horror movie starring a Real Big Actor, released in 2000.

Quote from: Swatopluk
Since it does not look African or Asian, that leaves not much but non-US America. Or are you amoong those that do not consider the UK to be part of Europe? ;)

Canadian? Before or after 1985?
The (living) director was born and raised in Canada before emigrating to England.

Hint #7: title character at acting class with boyfriend.

Hint #8: visiting wif the folks back home, who are blissfully ignorant.

I will add that I saw the film in this particular game at an art house in Denver, as it has numerous innocuous scenes which would scare the pants permanently onto most USA-ian Censors and Moral Enforcers if offered at the mall cineplexes. (Despite the lead's occasional musings about Jesus' approval!)  :-*

I stand sit prepared to post one of those stills if necessary.  ;)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"

Swatopluk

I am pretty sure that I have not seen that movie.
And it does not look like a Cronenberg.

beagle

...at least we've narrowed it down to films which would shock the Mid-West.  That eliminates half of Disney's output ;)
The angels have the phone box

pieces o nine

Quote from: beagle
...at least we've narrowed it down to films which would shock the Mid-West.  That eliminates half of Disney's output ;)
Good point! But alas, this did not feature any of those sans-culottes  sans pantalon  Disney critters!

Hint 9a-b: We've got Trouble, and that starts with T, and that rhymes with B,...

Swatopluk

The notorious British Petrol..eh..Bird Cage..eh..Fatty Sage... ;)
(Never post images with discernible text)

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

pieces o nine

I believe that Swato knows, based on the last clue, although he has obscured his answer.   :giggle:

(I picked the paper headline still because there were few scenes left without her in them!)

Final clue to those still playing:

Opsa

The Notorious Bettie Page!!!!!!

I'd love to see this one.

pieces o nine

Correct! 

The Notorious Bettie Page was directed by Mary Harron (American Psycho, 2000) and released in 2005. It stars Gretchen Mol, who portrays her quite well as what she was: a Really Nice Girl who saw nothing wrong with taking off her clothes or wearing 'silly costumes' for 'unusual' pictures (for 'quality people'... with 'a lot of stress' in their lives...) 

Despite nudity and fetish costumes, it's not a titillating   [sorry! couldn't resist!]   film. The Morality Police and queasy prurience of the 1955 senate committee were spot-on. I'd recommend it.

Opsa

She was cute as a button, and seemed so cheerful and wholesome about it, too. Great subject for a movie. Thanks for reminding me about it. Gee, it was out for all of three weeks, maybe.

I give up my turn to whomever is the first to post new photos.