News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Guess the Movie

Started by Kiyoodle the Gambrinous, December 11, 2006, 11:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goat starer

PS. that was a way of moving back towards films  :D
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Griffin NoName

I better not list what my kids had been exposed to at the age of six.

By the age of 8 or so, I was banned from watching TV with them as they deemed the material not suitable for me.

:mrgreen:
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Concerning uploading pictures I had the same problem yesterday with a 23kb picture. So I used photobucket instead.

While we are waiting for the next picture here are a few tricky movie questions:

1. What (visual) parallel is there between E.M.Porter's Great Train Robbery* and Spielberg's Schindler's List?
2. When, by whom and under what title was the first Titanic movie made? (movie, not "actuality film")

*the first Western
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Chatty

Quote from: goat starer on December 05, 2007, 12:28:29 AM
that is like saying that barbers adagio was obscure until Platoon made it famous! it is silly. The popularity of something is a pretty poor measure of its true fame as it takes no account of timescale. The Canon was much more famous in 1979 than anything popular music has thrown up because it had survived 300 years and was still being played in my house and thousands of others like it. I am fairly serious about the colonial stuff. From the outside it looks like a vastly smaller proportion of people ion the states have any kind of outward looking view of culture. I am sure this was obscure in North America but it was not in the UK.

PS. do you honestly think the wild west ended in the 1800's?

http://www.economist.com/images/20060311/20060311issuecovUS400.jpg

See my comments elsewhere.

YOUR house. What about the homes of the--less fortunate. Or did even the dockworkers in Liverpool and the pub waiters in Keswick play classical music for their children on a regular basis?

Yes, the music is famous, among the educated, among the knowledgeable. The movie made it a well known POPULAR piece that people of every 'station' would recognize.
This sig area under construction.

goat starer

but if the plebs like it then what is the point of classical music?  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Opsa

Foo. Photobucket's having a maintenance thing today. Anyone who can may have my turn. I'll step in at another time.

The Meromorph

Comrade Goatvara, :goatflag:
I do believe you've revealed yourself as channeling Anthony Wedgewood Benn!   :ROFL:  :pokestick:
Dances with Motorcycles.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on December 05, 2007, 11:50:20 AM
............did even the dockworkers in Liverpool and the pub waiters in Keswick play classical music for their children on a regular basis?

If not at home then at school. Then. Not now I fear as our schools have declined. Also, there are and were fine traditions amongst the "working classes" for example brass bands etc etc etc etc. Plus street musicians did and still do give us a lot of classical music. Yes, of course there'd be pockets without, but I do think Goat was making a valid point.

As for the popularisation of music which leads to it being identified with baked beans or whatever, especially without any notion that it could ever be anything else, sorry but I deplore it. Colours nailed to the mast !! Old and Grumpy that I am.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bruder Cuzzen

Quote from: Griffin NoName on December 04, 2007, 01:06:39 AM
Yes it is Donald Sutherland. Yes it is............. Ordinary People.

and I thought it was YouTube and kid with the guitar that made  Pachabel's Canon famous. ;)

The kid...Timothy Hutton !?...anyway about Pachabel's Canon...I think I first heard it in the sixties and unfortunately can't be more specific .

It was made popular here ( in Upper Canada ) because commercials ...a slew of them...year after year...I thought it was the most beautiful thing i ever heard
It caused me to search out classical music stations just to hear it again .It was a favorite  high school string section standard and most popular this time of the year ( especially malls) .

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Bruder Cuzzen on December 06, 2007, 01:23:21 AM
It caused me to search out classical music stations just to hear it again .It was a favorite  high school string section standard and most popular this time of the year ( especially malls) .

As long as you never think of baked beans while hearing it - sounds good to me ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

beagle

Much though I hate to agree with Goat about anything, the Canon, like the Allegri  Miserere is pretty well known IMHO.   i.e it passes the test of being something that Classic FM would play regularly, but you'd never hear on Radio 3.

In my case it appears it's the Canon that made "Ordinary People" famous; not heard of that one until now. This probably means it was a colossal blockbuster.

But today's big news is Goat apparently reads "The Economist".
The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

Is the Economist that mag. which plays a tune every time you open it?
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

Ok, if noone else comes up with a new task

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x97/Swatopluk/guessthemovie1.jpg
Let the heavy metal roll, call sign 6-6-6
We don't care for the human toll, slay the <censored> pigs.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

beagle

Quote from: Griffin NoName on December 07, 2007, 12:55:07 AM

Is the Economist that mag. which plays a tune every time you open it?

Hadn't noticed one. At over £3 a copy it should really come with its own string quartet. 
The angels have the phone box

Bruder Cuzzen