News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Just in case you missed it, Gerald Ford passed Dec 26th

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, December 28, 2006, 05:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I posted this in another forum:

QuoteI voted for Ford, and I would do it again.

He was quite astute enough to recognize that pardoning Nixon would be a very unpopular move - people were "out for blood" at the time (I remember all too well). But Ford was correct: we needed to get on with things, most notably the economy.

And Ford did quite a bit towards that end: he vetoed 51 spending bills during his short tenure.

But, with the 20-20 hindsight of historical perspective, even Senator Kennedy, one of his most ardent critics, agrees that the pardon was the correct thing to do. Dragging the presidency through the mud for likely years would have done nothing positive. And, the stress likely would have ended Nixon's life prematurely. As it was, Nixon was finished as a politician, which for a consummate politico like Nixon was punishment enough. Imagine if Michaelangelo wasn't allowed to paint or sculpt?

Ford was a statesman, really. And a very bright individual. Agreed, his speaking ability was pretty dismal (only outdone in the "really bad" department by GW Bush). But, at least Ford understood quite well what was going on in the world.

Something the current administration could take a lesson or three about ...

Ford will be missed.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Chatty

LBJ's famous comment about Ford..."Jerry's a good guy, he just played too much football without a helmet."

A real Republican, one who understood the historical and fiscal stance of his party. What he SHOULD have don was help the Justice Department go after some of the law-level 'thugs' that helped Nixon. Names like Cheney, Rumsfeld...got their start there.

gerald ford was a good man, and a good President in a role he'd never have sought.
This sig area under construction.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on December 28, 2006, 10:46:22 AM
LBJ's famous comment about Ford..."Jerry's a good guy, he just played too much football without a helmet."

A real Republican, one who understood the historical and fiscal stance of his party. What he SHOULD have don was help the Justice Department go after some of the law-level 'thugs' that helped Nixon. Names like Cheney, Rumsfeld...got their start there.

gerald ford was a good man, and a good President in a role he'd never have sought.

I totally agree.  Nixon was almost secondary to the efforts of the weenies behind the scenes. Where would we be today, if The Dick Cheny & Rummy-nose had spent some time defending their actions in the court of public opinion.

I suspect, that 10' poles would've been too short for the remaining Republicans at the time - remember the old political adage:

"Don't Get Caught.  If You Do:  We Never Knew You" 
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

beagle

Our Queen must have liked him; the flag's at half-mast in his honour.

Harold Wilson reckoned he was good at mastering complex briefs. Either HW was very bad, or GF was smart enough to know electorates don't like their leaders to look too much of a smartass.
The angels have the phone box