News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Do you hear what you read?

Started by The Meromorph, December 22, 2006, 03:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

I get the impression that my brain sends a scouting party ahead in texts I am reading. That way bits of info enter the half-conscious parts before the reading train arrives along the lines. Occasional side effect: if the bit info turns out to be wrong or mixed up, the train may come to a screeching halt because the expected doesn't turn up and the fact has to be confirmed.
The brain also tends to edit before transmitting it to the conscious mind. That can make proof-reading a quite demanding job. This edit can also be complete nonsense but the same edit happens several times at rereading. May indicate a holistic approach to understanding a text fragment, i.e. not the single word is processed but a larger complex.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Scriblerus the Philosophe

808 WPM on screen, with an 82% comphrension rate. >< Missed one because I waivered and went with the second answer that popped into my head.

I read a little weird, I guess. I don't hear or see it so much as have this vauge see-it thing (sort of like I'm seeing it through a fog), though only with action scenes. Everything else is just there.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Outis the Unready

I flash read. I was a special case when I was a kid and had lots of studies and electrodes and cat scans and xrays and the rest....I watched the technology grow, heh....I took this test before and maxed it out, no surprise.

When I see a page, my eyes don't move left to right, but down and sometimes up.

I'm ambidexterous and a mild syntheste (color for sound if there is not strong other color, I got it a lot as a child in the white rooms with beige desks and it is very distracting) and they thought I was dyslexic for a while (like most ambis, I actually have a hard time discerning left from right, and when asked to draw a letter not in a word "s" instead of "ask" I was about 50% likely to reverse it through 8th grade.)

It wasn't until I met a very good physical therapist that we knew it's just that my brain is not like yours.

In terms of scary online tests, on another one I score firmly in the autistic range. There is a guy studying people who've never been considered autistic who probably are who probably is going to add me to his study...

So, that being said, I, too, get the train speeding ahead. Since I don't read right to left, signs that are brightly lit or seen from a moving car or both tend to shift vertically, and I read things that aren't there....especially if the things are things I am thinking.

We had a scary church nearby and I would read things like:

Know Christ in this life or
miss him in the next

as

Know Christ's sex life.

where is the butter?
I can't live without butter.
Please pass the butter.

The Meromorph

I'm beginning to suspect this is a very under-examined area of brain function...
Dances with Motorcycles.

Griffin NoName

I agree Quasi.

I was struck by Outis reading up and down. Mine is diagonal top left to bottom right of a paragraph.

If I pick up a Hebrew book I reverse everything without thinking about it - ie. opening book the other way round and reading right to left (I cannot read Hebrew diagonally).
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Outis the Unready

Quote from: Quasimodo (The Meromorph) on December 29, 2006, 01:54:53 AM
I'm beginning to suspect this is a very under-examined area of brain function...

I just applied to a doctoral program in neuroscience. I watched the equipment, and now I want to use it.
:)

where is the butter?
Please pass the butter.

The Meromorph

Quote from: Outis the Unready on December 29, 2006, 04:01:12 AM
Quote from: Quasimodo (The Meromorph) on December 29, 2006, 01:54:53 AM

I just applied to a doctoral program in neuroscience. I watched the equipment, and now I want to use it.
:)
Dare we hope that this might be a suitable subject?  :)
Dances with Motorcycles.

Outis the Unready

My personal focus is re/degeneration, but I still will always watch this stuff...I think we are not careful enough with how we research kids and learning, and I don't have the patience for working on learning-type research.

My interests are largely equipment based....types of imaging.
(That, and I'm convinced Alzheimers is caused by a fairly unstable prion....just FYI, I think it will take another 30 years to prove that, but I've got at least that..)

where is the butter?
Please pass the butter.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Outis the Unready on December 30, 2006, 02:56:04 PM
My personal focus is re/degeneration, but I still will always watch this stuff...I think we are not careful enough with how we research kids and learning, and I don't have the patience for working on learning-type research.

My interests are largely equipment based....types of imaging.
(That, and I'm convinced Alzheimers is caused by a fairly unstable prion....just FYI, I think it will take another 30 years to prove that, but I've got at least that..)

Isn't mad cow also a prion?  Does that make alzheimers a sort of "human mad cow" disease?  At least, it does not appear to be transmitted easily.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've always been interested in this, too: "My personal focus is re/degeneration".

I have some personal experience in nerve regeneration.  I had a wisdom tooth pulled many years ago, and it caused a numb spot on my lower lip.  The surgeon said it likely was permanent, but might regenerate.  It did-- it took about a year.

Then, I had a nasty accident with my left hand. My left thumb was severely damaged on the end/tip. For about 2 years, the skin had zero sensitivity to touch.  Only the deep receptors functioned (you had to press hard to get feeling).

But, about 2 years later, I realized the skin had normal sensitivity, and would respond to a very light touch as well as any other finger.

I've since read that nerve tissue CAN regenerate in the outer limbs and in skin.  It's just the central nervous tissue that lacks the capability.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Aggie

Quote from: Outis the Unready on December 30, 2006, 02:56:04 PM

I'm reading an admittedly pop-science book that suggests a significant amount of seniors diagnosed as having Alzheimers may actually have CJD.

Prion diseases thoroughly scare me.
WWDDD?