News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Disappearing Universe?

Started by Aggie, May 23, 2007, 06:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Interesting article here about the expansion of the universe and what it might mean for future observers, especially considering the implications for what we think we know:

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/05/22/staticuniverse_spa.html

Quote...even today we may be suffering from similar blinders and don't know it. Adams agreed.

"It could be there's some event that happened in the early universe that's (undetectable)," said Adams. "It's very important for all cosmologists to be very humble."
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

An interesting bit of info I got yesterday (ok, strictly spoken the day before that, it's past midnight now) that a black hole containing all the mass of the observable universe would have a radius larger than that of the observable universe.

When everything drops out of sight, the fundamentalists of then will return to burning beings at the stake for claiming that they are not alone in the universe ;D :(.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

I have a fundamental problem with this. The universe is already too big for me to see, so what's new?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

And we haven't constructed the Total Perspective Vortex yet.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

beagle

Quote from: Swatopluk on May 23, 2007, 11:33:32 PM
An interesting bit of info I got yesterday (ok, strictly spoken the day before that, it's past midnight now) that a black hole containing all the mass of the observable universe would have a radius larger than that of the observable universe.

Well if you were God you wouldn't want us getting out either would you?

I thought the more cynical religious cosmologists believe God saved money by cancelling out the rest mass energy exactly with the negative binding energy.

Love the idea of a humble cosmologist. Definitely deserving of a statue right next to the humble hospital consultant one.

The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

Perhaps we need a Monastery membership drive for hospital consultants and cosmologists?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

ivor

Quote from: Swatopluk on May 24, 2007, 12:54:44 PM
And we haven't constructed the Total Perspective Vortex yet.

ROFLMAO!  Your humor has a "Universal Appeal!"  ;D

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

[OFF TOPIC]

Quote from: Swatopluk on May 23, 2007, 11:33:32 PM
(ok, strictly spoken the day before that, it's past midnight now)

"Morgen ist, wenn ich geschlafen habe!" {Tomorrow is when I've had my sleep)

[/OFF TOPIC]

Sorry for the interruption, please proceed with your discussion.

I'm back..