News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

*megacorp grumble*

Started by Aggie, October 12, 2011, 06:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Continuing my widely-distributed rant about the modern age in general and the interwebs in particular...  :mrgreen:

Our company uses an in-house system for...  all sorts of stuff related to administration.  Timesheets, safety training stats, project information, whatever.

Our IT guy just released a new version that he's no longer bothering to support Firefox with (I doubt it was ever intended for use with IE), so he's basically forcing us to use Chrome or Opera Safari (Apple fanboy, eh?).  Of course, it's just for that particular application, but still.  I understand the practicalities of building for only two browsers (one of our bosses is also an Apple fanboy, hence Opera Safari), and perhaps there are some things that are Chrome-specific that make things easier, but I'm disappointed.

Damnit, I like Mozilla.  Instead, it's a choice between EvilDee or EvilDumb.  

I quit!  In December.  :mrgreen:
WWDDD?

Opsa

I'm an Apple fan, but I don't use those browsers. Sounds like he's just being lazy at your expense. 

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

From the statistics of my work's website when Safari fails Apple users use Firefox. I agree with Opas, sounds more like laziness than anything else.

As a side note the only opera users I noted in the log come from the Wii browser...
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

I interpret it more as techno-elitism than laziness.  IIRC, he's a contract employee, and we are a small company, so there is a cost to ensuring universal compatibility.

PS - I am ignorant of these things and somehow thought that Opera was an Apple product.  I'm apparently wrong.  ;)
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Aggie on October 13, 2011, 03:21:27 AM
I interpret it more as techno-elitism than laziness.  IIRC, he's a contract employee, and we are a small company, so there is a cost to ensuring universal compatibility.

I agree with your interpretation.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Correction again:  the choice is Chrome or Safari.  So my rant still applies. ;)
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Safari is a POS, Chrome works decently although I still prefer FF (I love the extensions). So the guy loves webkit, which I guess would make him more compatible with smartphones too. Still, a lazy b@$tard if you ask me.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

It's not just non-supported, the system actually shakes a finger at you (figuratively) if you try access with FF. :P

Eh, they own my only working computer.  I've nothing else to complain about there - it's a great place to work.  Long hours, but if you want to make some bucks it's an efficient way to do it.  ::)
WWDDD?

Darlica

I'm a firefox user since, well, something like 10 years or so but I'm actually start to question my habits.

Firefox causes my computer to hangup several times a week to the extent that it takes 5 miutes to wake up the task-manager...

I remember when it was a sleek and fast loading program... I don't use 90% of the bells and whistles it come with now a good 25% makes me g*d damn irritated...

:offtopic:
Anyhow of cause I downloaded firefox for my smart phone and... was greatly disappointed... so I downloaded Opera and got amazed.

On the android platform Opera kicks Firefox butt. Hard. :o

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

The Meromorph

Quote from: Darlica on October 19, 2011, 02:05:32 PM
I'm a firefox user since, well, something like 10 years or so but I'm actually start to question my habits.

Firefox causes my computer to hangup several times a week to the extent that it takes 5 miutes to wake up the task-manager...

I remember when it was a sleek and fast loading program... I don't use 90% of the bells and whistles it come with now a good 25% makes me g*d damn irritated...

:offtopic:
Anyhow of cause I downloaded firefox for my smart phone and... was greatly disappointed... so I downloaded Opera and got amazed.

On the android platform Opera kicks Firefox butt. Hard. :o

I'm a devoted Opera User on the mainframe, but found most mobile versions of it annoying on my Android phone. I've started using Dolphin HD on my phone, it seems much better (and it is, of course, free).
Dances with Motorcycles.

Sibling DavidH

For me, Chrome works a bit better than Fartbox, but I'm not happy about all the spying it does.
I've just installed Opera, and it's proving a right pain to set up the bookmarks and so on.  I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Darlica

Quote from: The Meromorph on October 19, 2011, 11:50:41 PM
I'm a devoted Opera User on the mainframe, but found most mobile versions of it annoying on my Android phone. I've started using Dolphin HD on my phone, it seems much better (and it is, of course, free).

Perhaps I should give Dolphine a try then!  :yo:
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

The Meromorph

Won't cost nuffin' ma'am.. ;)
Dances with Motorcycles.

Sibling DavidH

Photobucket's tricks are getting beyond a joke.  OK, a load of advertising is fair enough in return for free hosting, but now it's playing video ads with sound and it actually disables the mute button, on my machine anyway.  The function is restored when you close Ph****ucket.  You can mute before you open it, and for me at least the volume control still works.  But what a cheek! :taz: :headbang:

Griffin NoName

Yes, it's awful. I was horrified.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on October 26, 2011, 02:15:36 PM
Photobucket's tricks are getting beyond a joke.  OK, a load of advertising is fair enough in return for free hosting, but now it's playing video ads with sound and it actually disables the mute button, on my machine anyway.  The function is restored when you close Ph****ucket.  You can mute before you open it, and for me at least the volume control still works.  But what a cheek! :taz: :headbang:

My adblocker on FireFox prevented the movie from even starting up...

.... meh.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

pieces o nine

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on October 27, 2011, 03:12:18 AM

.... meh.
Same for me.

On the other hand, I have to go through one of Firefox's add-ons ['FireUploader'] in order to upload images there anymore, as otherwise I get repeated error messages when trying to log in to the site directly.  sigh.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Quote from: pieces o nine on October 27, 2011, 07:14:43 AM
Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on October 27, 2011, 03:12:18 AM

.... meh.
Same for me.

On the other hand, I have to go through one of Firefox's add-ons ['FireUploader'] in order to upload images there anymore, as otherwise I get repeated error messages when trying to log in to the site directly.  sigh.

Yeah.  I have to temporarily enable "all this page" (or similar) in NoScript or I cannot upload either.   I usually walk through the domains until it works again, but always using the temp settings... .that way it reverts when I close the browser.

Sibling DavidH

Another one - not evil but very, very silly.

The makers of my blood test meters, Accu Chek, send me a magazine every month or two.  It occasionally has something of interest in it, so I've not unsubscribed.

Earlier this year, however, they began to send me two separate copies.  To avoid waste, I asked them to stop it.

I've just received a second copy of the latest issue, addressed to "Mr D Doublet H*****"

There's some bloody thick people about!  :headbang:

Look at it this way David...

... by using up that valuable dead-tree material?  They prevent other, more wasteful stuff from being printed frivolously, such as PREVENTION magazine or another Gideon bible...

;)

Griffin NoName

I get a whole variety of slow mail catalogues, none of which I buy from, and all have to be disposed of which is an endless nuisance, and a total waste of time and money. I suppose I should request them not to send but somehow I never get around to it...... yet another thing to put on my almost endless "to-do" list if I ever get any energy back. I do find modern life difficult (I imagine though that I'd find medieval life difficult and imagine getting catalogues inscribed on stone tablets.............).
Psychic Hotline Host

Ain't it a damn shame none of us heat our houses with a Franklin stove?  One that burns stuff, that is... you could simply put those unwanted catalogs in there and free heat...

:)

Sibling DavidH

We cook and partly heat with a Raeburn. 

Technically it burns coal, but it deals with junk mail a treat.  Problem is, I can only do it in windy weather, because it stinks and annoys the neighbours.