News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Massive Gridlock?

Started by Vita Curator, November 11, 2006, 12:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vita Curator

Henry Waxman is slated to lead the Government Reform Committee when the Dems take over in January.

He will investigate the Bush Administration's running of the government.  Waxman says there are so many areas of possible wrongdoing; his biggest problem will be deciding which ones to pursue.

Needless to say, I am skeptical about the purported "show of unity".

I have a hard time believing also that Bush will just "forget" (for the sake of the country) all of future Speaker of the House  Pelosi's negative remarks.

I am a little concerned that due to Bush's history of surrounding himself with yes men and not taking advice from anyone that has the audacity to disagree with him, we will have massive gridlock during the next two years.

Don't get me wrong; I applaud the takeover of the House and Senate by the Dems.  For too long we have lacked the system of checks and balances that the architects of our Constitution envisioned when the three branches of government were constructed.  For too long we have had the executive and legislative branches working together to promote the Bush Agenda. And with the appointments of Alito and Roberts, the judicial branch has been in his pocket as well. 

Does anyone think that the Dems will be able to pass any legislation that has been on their platform, health coverage for children, increasing the minimum wage, etc.?
Unity is Strength. Knowledge is Power. Attitude is Everything.

Sibling Chatty

There's evidence that Daddy's in there to bail the Dim Son out.

Daddy's NOT a Neo-Con, and he's actually not as much of a total asshole, greedheaded prick as Little George. Before any positives can be accomplished, the negatives have to be stopped.

And the current incumbent repubs that weren't up for re-election this time have seen that the anger runs deep and complete. Fer cryin' out loud, Lincoln Chaffee, a very moderate Repub with a good bipartisan record and his head screwed on straight, got replaced. The WingNuts KNOW they're being watched carefully by the voters.

Moderate Repubs are going to be more than ready to vote with Democrats to 'fix stuff'. They know they'll be next. They've been TOLD they'll be next in several states. And Bush is a lame LAME duck. All the "Dad's comin' to save my ass again" signs are there. There MIGHT not be an immediate public excoriation of the Preznit in order to let his Dad clean up some of his messes a bit. People tended to like the Old Man, even if he was an effete elitist CIA tool. He'll try to protect the family name by managing, once again, to handle NitWit.

That 100,000 acres in Paraguay has a lot of brush for Sonny Boy to clear, far away from the reach of US law, and possibly protected from international law as well.
This sig area under construction.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I agree, Vita, that much needs to be cleaned up - however, even Gridlock could be a welcome change from all the disasters created by Bushie.

At least with gridlock, nothing bad will be done.  Or, rather no additional bad stuff ..

I agree that bushie is SO out of touch with reality, that I seriously doubt that even the democratic sweep of the Nation has really sank in to his rum-and-coke-addled brain.  Not really.  (Indeed, bushya may no longer be capable of perceiving reality as the rest of us enjoy.  Being told, over and over again, that he is "the decider" and other nonsense has obviously gone to his head in a bad way ...)

However, "The Dick" is not entirely stupid (unlike his "boss"). And, since it's been pretty obvious from the beginning, that cheney is likely the only person capable of pulling bushya's strings ... even if bushya was not exactly aware of those tugs.  Anyway, The Dick Cheny IS astute enough to see the handwriting on the wall.

And thus, we may actually see improvements in our government ... time will tell, no?
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Vita Curator

I guess that I'll just have to be happy that Waxman and his committee will make someone be accountable for all of the wrongdoing and that no additional harm will occur.
Unity is Strength. Knowledge is Power. Attitude is Everything.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Vita Curator on November 11, 2006, 03:01:35 PM
I guess that I'll just have to be happy that Waxman and his committee will make someone be accountable for all of the wrongdoing and that no additional harm will occur.

Atta girl - chin up!  Here's another celebratatory drink.  Drink up! <hic>
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Swatopluk

Chafee's reaction to Bush's renomination of Bolton sounded a lot like "You wingnut bullies can't hurt me anymore, so now I can do what I think is morally right not politically (far) right for my last two month here!"
In those two month a gridlock is what is to be hoped for because Dubya tries to fastlane force as much noxious things through congress as possible (Bolton probably one of the least harmful things in comparision).
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.