News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What are you watching?

Started by Griffin NoName, September 11, 2007, 10:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Yes.

Wimbledon: Murray v. Anderson
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Don Juan (ballet with music by Ch.W.Gluck)
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Griffin NoName

Dying Young ................ at least I was until I couldn't see the screen through my tears
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I've been watching Tyrant on FX and it have turned out to be quite interesting and mostly accurate picture of the middle east.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

Caltiki - Il Mostro Immortale

Darlica

Grimm season 3.

Mostly because of the entertaining monsters. :)
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Swatopluk

Genghis - Legend of the Ten
For once a genuine Mongolian production but with a slightly misleading title (for Western audiences I assume). No big battle epic but a story about a single 10 men unit sent out to fetch a renowned healer because the Mongolian army suffers from some epidemic disease. There are some complications before they return diminished in number without the doc but with a baby and a young woman (not the mother) in tow. Rather down to earth and quite viewable but not a must-see.

Griffin NoName

One Day

for the seccond time............
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Swatopluk on July 20, 2014, 10:44:43 PM
but with a slightly misleading title (for Western audiences I assume).
Like Орда/"The Horde" which doesn't show battles at all either? That one, while very well done, left a taste of Russian/Orthodox propaganda in my mouth.

Swatopluk

The term Horde is iirc derived from the ordered camp and does not originally refer to the people, so the whole connotation of Horde = undisciplined armed native mob is wrong from the start. I even wonder, whether Horde and order are linguistically related or just a coincidence as between sheriff (shire-reeve) and sherif (descendant of Mohammed).

---

The Wind Rises (Hayao Miyazaki, officially his final film)
As to be expected a visual masterpiece instantly recognizable as Ghibli-made with much heart. Still/(yet?) less satisfactory in total than some other productions from that shop. Imo the different elements do not fully fuse and one gets the impression of two films mixed together incompletely. It also requires a good deal of background knowledge to 'get' many things hinted at obliquely or to see the connections between parts that are not at first sight connected.
To watch it as a German (in the original Japanese with subtitles) has some advantages since there are scenes in Germany and some in Japan where German is spoken on screen (accented but without any grammatical error or unusual twist of phrase). To have been at the Junkers factory (now a museum) in Dessau myself also added some vital info (that most viewers would lack).
One criticism of the film is not without justification: chainsmoking galore there. One would almost suspect that Big Tobacco bribed the makers since it is going really over the top :mrgreen:

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Actually, chainsmoking was the norm at the time, and besides the general sidestepping the whole "I'm giving tools to the imperial army to do as they wish" I think the movie is actually quite good and quite adult.

As for any serious Japanese acknowledging the atrocities of the war... I haven't seen nor heard the first.  :-\

Swatopluk

I know that tobacco use was nothing to be ashamed of once ;) But here it is in essence a running gag :mrgreen:
I hope my post is not mistaken for a 'this movie is crap', far from it, and the anti-war message is clear enough.
But I still think it is not as good as it could have been and that has nothing to do with the policy aspects.

There are some Japanese filmmakers that have dealt with Japanese atrocities quite directly (Seijun Suzuki and most importantly Masaki Kobayashi) but that is not the topic of Miyazaki's film and would be rather out of place. Still there are enough hints that the Japan depicted is quite similar to Nazi Germany and not in a good way.

The way some critics flame it one would almost suspect Miyazaki had produced a hagiography of Ishii Shirō  :-\

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Just added a couple of movies from those directors to my queue.