News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Fun with facts

Started by Pachyderm, January 22, 2008, 02:08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Iguanas have a semi-functional 3rd eye on the top of their heads that helps them spot possible predators.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Napolean used homeopathy for his pubic lice.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Griffin NoName

From the bbc QI fact for the Day:

A cockroach can live for several weeks without its head. Some insects can live headlessly for a whole year.

<shame some governments* can't ;) >

*possible UK interest only
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

Quote from: Griffin NoName on May 20, 2009, 12:17:33 AM
A cockroach can live for several weeks without its head. Some insects can live headlessly for a whole year.

But how long could a famous French chemist's head live on after he was guillotined?
Not long enough to benefit from the pardon he was later given, that's for sure.
The angels have the phone box

Swatopluk

Quote from: beagle on May 20, 2009, 08:57:14 PM
Quote from: Griffin NoName on May 20, 2009, 12:17:33 AM

But how long could a famous French chemist's head live on after he was guillotined?
Not long enough to benefit from the pardon he was later given, that's for sure.

It was discussed at the time, what the last thing would be for the beheaded to see. Would he see his or her own torso, if the head fell the right way into the basket? And also, would (s)he feel pain?
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

In an quick accident you rarely feel the pain while it's happening but after a few seconds later, the problem is that you are completely unaware.

Even if cutting through bone doesn't hurt immediately the anguish of the whole spectacle plus the sound of the blade falling has to be a very, very, veeeeery unpleasant experience.

Swatopluk

Admittedly the first thought that went through my head (no pun intended) was that earplugs should be provided.
Just demonstrates my dirty mind once again. The next thought was about the pro and contra of playing muzac during beheadings and whether that counts as extra torture.
Seriously, the common procedure in 'civilized' times was to keep the guillotine behind a curtain up to the end and then have the whole heads-off business over within seconds. As far as I know the beheading by machine was abandoned less because of its (alleged by some) cruelty but becasue of the mess it creates and the stress for the executioners. Otherwise it is today considered (after some nasty facts became known about the 'humane' lethal injection) as the least error-prone and fastest method. The 15-ton weight never catched on as an acceptable method. What makes any method in some way inhumane is the iron rule that the person to be executed must be awake and at least formally aware of what's happening (for that reason alcohol has been a taboo in the last meal for centuries). If that condition could be dropped (and capital punishment could not be abandoned), I'd prefer a strong sleeping drug in the last meal (which might not be announced as such) followed by e.g. asphyxia (by inert gas or vacuum). Thinking about some certain individuals though (you can guess who), boiling oil, mustard gas, four oxen, rogue elephants and the like have a certain kind of appeal.

Griffin NoName

Despite this enjoyable discussion, not knowing what is the usual method for cockroach beheadings is bothering me. Also, what occurs after several weeks that ends their ability to survive without their heads?
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Griffin NoName on May 21, 2009, 08:43:56 PM
Also, what occurs after several weeks that ends their ability to survive without their heads?
Not being able to ingest any food.
----
Boiling oil sounds right but only if it's done slowly (can you tell I heard certain dick talking in the radio?).

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on May 21, 2009, 09:30:10 PM
Quote from: Griffin NoName on May 21, 2009, 08:43:56 PM
Also, what occurs after several weeks that ends their ability to survive without their heads?
Not being able to ingest any food.

I assumed that was taken care of - else what would be the point of having this trait ;) ;)

Boiling oil sounds right but only if it's done slowly (can you tell I heard certain dick talking in the radio?).

We just had him on our main evening BBC news....... I suspect he could survive without his head.
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

Something completely different:

The robocup football (that's 'soccer' for our US dwellers) goes to new extremes with the nano-league.
The playing field is 2X2 mm (a silicon chip) and the maximum size for players 300 µm.
The latter looks a bit large to me, it's a sixth of the whole field.
Training is conducted on a 2X2 cm field (sounds more realistic).

Griffin NoName

Where is the nano-thread on this forum?
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

Quote from: Griffin NoName on July 13, 2009, 01:36:42 PM

Where is the nano-thread on this forum?

It hides behind the dot of your question mark ;)

beagle

Quote from: Swatopluk on July 13, 2009, 04:50:31 AM

Finally, an exercise regime I can cope with.
The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

Quote from: beagle on July 13, 2009, 08:14:09 PM
Quote from: Swatopluk on July 13, 2009, 04:50:31 AM

Finally, an exercise regime I can cope with.

:ROFL:
Psychic Hotline Host