News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Fun with facts

Started by Pachyderm, January 22, 2008, 02:08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Thanks Chatty!

QuoteBased on the IOM's UL, Health Canada recommends that adults do not exceed 2,300 mg of sodium per day.

Kind of sick that packaged meals are permitted to have TWICE the daily recommended limit of sodium, eh?

I'm starting to get sick of restaurant food when in the field (it's usually small-town fare, which means fast food, pub food, westernized Chinese or steak) and am starting to pick up frozen dinners and bagged salads as an alternative, provided that I've a fridge and microwave in my room.  It's pretty tough to find frozen meals without nearly a day's worth of saturated fat and sodium per meal.
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Maybe one has to electrolyze the food to get rid of the sodium chloride.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Agujjim on July 08, 2008, 08:11:08 PM
It's pretty tough to find frozen meals without nearly a day's worth of saturated fat and sodium per meal.
Perhaps you should eat cheese and crackers:

Food (1 oz unless stated)Sodium (mg)
Cheese, blue395mg
Cheese, cheddar176mg
Cheese, feta316mg
Cheese, mozzarella, part skim150mg
Cheese, mozzarella, whole milk106mg
Cheese, muenster178mg
Cheese, neufchatel113mg
Cheese, American337mg

Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

ROFL, if you only consider the sodium in the cheese and the fat in the crackers (assuming they are Stoned Wheat Thins; crackers in general are as bad or worse than crisps, and usually higher in saturated fat), then maybe.

Pre-washed salad, a hot roast chicken and some low-fat flatbread (commercial tortillas here are generally loaded with fat) are generally the best option for a dinner with leftovers that will pack easily into lunches.

It's also the saturated fats I am most concerned with because high-calorie is not a problem for me, but I do worry about overall health effects (heart etc).

Anything at a restaurant is considered to be "don't ask, don't tell" - I recall well my old chef's mantra of "FAT IS FLAVOUR.  MORE FAT! MORE SALT!" - and that was at a decent restaurant that didn't rely on fat and salt for primary flavours. Cynical guy, Dom...  but he knew what the masses liked.  Field eating is a constant hunt for vegetables.
WWDDD?

Sibling Chatty

I used to take canned Oriental Vegetables (usually the ubiquitous La Choy back then, with lots of sodium, yes) and drain the water, rinse them a few times, pick out the celery and add them to whatever I picked up while having to eat when traveling.

A teriyaki roast chicken and tortilla/wrap thing, with some well-rinsed veggies was a favorite. If you have a microwave available and can carry a rice cooker with you (there's a Nordicware microwave rice cooker that's about ten bucks American) you can feed yourself pretty well...
This sig area under construction.

Swatopluk

Quote from: Agujjim on July 10, 2008, 05:54:35 PM
Field eating is a constant hunt for vegetables.
Anyone remember that old Gary Larson cartoon:"Early vegetarians returning from the kill."? :mrgreen:

No copy of that on google but maybe these will suffice as a stand-in

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/247500/247928ouWT_w.jpg

http://www.hohpe.com/Gregor/Events/FarSide/caveman.jpg

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on July 11, 2008, 05:49:46 AM
If you have a microwave available and can carry a rice cooker with you (there's a Nordicware microwave rice cooker that's about ten bucks American) you can feed yourself pretty well...

Heh, we actually have been known to carry a rice cooker to hotels.

The counfounding factor in this is that my current company doesn't give an allowance, they just pay actual expenses (within reasonable limits).  So I'm actually better off buying as much prepared / precooked food as possible. 

I used to get a daily meal allowance and had more fun seeing how CHEAP I could eat by packing lunches, cooking in the room etc.  Now it's strictly a matter of restaurant fatigue.
WWDDD?

Pachyderm

At age 16 Confucius was a corn inspector
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Griffin NoName

Was Confucius the guy who progressed from staring at feet to navel gazing?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Pachyderm

Quite possibly. :D

In the 19th century, the British Navy attempted to dispel the superstition that Friday was an unlucky day to embark on a ship. The Keel of a new ship was laid on a Friday, she was named HMS Friday, commanded by a Captain Friday, and finally went to sea on a Friday. Neither the ship nor her crew were ever heard of again.
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Griffin NoName

There are over 600 working girls in Midsomer Hampshire.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

A Chinese elephant just successfully finished heroin withdrawal treatment.
The animal was freed from drug traffickers that fed it with heroin-laced bananas.
http://in.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idINIndia-29236120070830

beagle

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on August 04, 2008, 03:26:38 AM
So few?  ;)

And half of those are actually Labour M.P.s who don't like to give their real job in surveys.
The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

Quote from: beagle on September 04, 2008, 09:36:46 PM
Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on August 04, 2008, 03:26:38 AM
So few?  ;)

And half of those are actually Labour M.P.s who don't like to give their real job in surveys.

Vote for assisted births for working girls?
Psychic Hotline Host