News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Net book ahoy!

Started by Darlica, August 25, 2010, 07:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darlica

I've just ordered a Asus Eee PC 1005PED.  :D

I seems like I've have to wait about 2 weeks to get it but it is hopefully worth it. I was actually looking at an older and cheaper model, went to a retail barn to see one for real and then saw this one...
Better keyboard (it feels better anyway) and better memory, processor and battery life.
Comes with Windows7 starter.

I've been meaning to buy a new laptop for almost a year but not found one that I really liked. I do like my old HP pavilion laptop and I'm not happy to give it up since it been such a workhorse for 5 years! But the processor isn't fast enough for the new generation of programs and the RAM is too small etc.etc.
I've looked at the new HP pavilions laptops, but I've come to realise that what I really need is something small I can bring with me to work (spending hours in a ticket booth at late nights is boring and right now I could use it at work too) plus a regular desktop PC for the photo editing and drawing.

Step 1 was to get the netbook. :)

I'll tell you more when it has arrived.
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I hope you got a fair price for it.  ;)
---
I recently bought a Toshiba T115D-S1125 and I'm quite happy about it, significantly faster than an Atom and with a decent videocard. Nice, portable and now my son wants to keep it.  :o
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Hope you enjoy it when it arrives.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

The Meromorph

I've had an ASUS eee 1000HE for about 18 months.
I love it. Yours is faster and better.
Yum!
Dances with Motorcycles.

Darlica

To be honest I feel a bit like a small kid...
"I want my toy NOW!"

However I have to wait 12 more days... :tantrum:
;) ;D

Lindorm

Ah, 12 more days until I get back my Lenovo netbook that someone seems to have laid her grubby little paws on.  ;) ;)

Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Darlica

Call Dustin and tell them to speed things up then! ;D
:whip: ;D

Darlica

I haz a new toy!!!  :YaY:

It has finally arrived and right now I'm trying to make it look and behave as MY computer.
I'm not entierly successful, yet...

The Windows 7 starter OS is driving me bonkers, no suprise there, that happens almost every time I encounter a new OS... It's far less heartfailur inducing than Vista though.

Lindorm can now get his netbook back and I won't nip it from his bag while his soundly asleep. ;D

I get back on how it works when I've kicked out the junk files it came with and filled it with my junk!

:D

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Darlica on September 10, 2010, 06:44:32 PM
I haz a new toy!!!  :YaY:

It has finally arrived and right now I'm trying to make it look and behave as MY computer.
I'm not entierly successful, yet...

The Windows 7 starter OS is driving me bonkers, no suprise there, that happens almost every time I encounter a new OS... It's far less heartfailur inducing than Vista though.

Lindorm can now get his netbook back and I won't nip it from his bag while his soundly asleep. ;D

I get back on how it works when I've kicked out the junk files it came with and filled it with my junk!

:D

Lest your frustration-factor get too deep, I would like to point out the following table to you, so you can see which features are disabled by Micr$uck in starter.

The most notable missing feature, is you cannot change the wallpaper in Starter, as far as I know...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison_chart

You will note that "Starter" is at the left, and is mostly "no" with respect to the various "can I do thus?" questions....

:)

Obviously, Micro$uck wants you to use the "instant upgrade" extortion feature, and pay even more $$ to Redmund....

---------

In truth, I suspect you won't notice all that much-- as a netbook is a deliberately limited device, and as you have demonstrated clear-headed thinking in the past, we may presume you were well aware of that, beforehand.

I think you'll like Win7, once you get over the initial "dammit!  where did Micro$uck move that widget to this time?" period..

;D

Edit:  Ooooh, I wuz wrongz about Windoze.... with a bit'o third party finagling, you can change the wallpaper.

Here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Windows-7-Starter-Easy-way-to-change-wallpaper/
Here's another, a bit more clear: http://www.techspot.com/guides/264-change-wallpaper-on-windows-7-starter/

And, according to this post here, you can use Opera to surf to an image, then change wallpaper

My domain policy prevents changing wallpaper but i am able to change it with Opera browser. Open image in Opera, right click, Use Image on Desktop.

Only problem is that after every reboot wallpaper is reverted but Opera have speed dial and number 12 is reserved for wallpaper

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Darlica

Bob: :-*
Did you know that in particular was driving me crazy?

I've bought it so it's mine, If it's mine I should be able to at least modify the looks dammit!
That or Windoze gets kicked out and Ubunto has a new follower...

Limited device or not, it has bigger brainz and slightly more muscles than my current big laptop computer...

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Darlica on September 11, 2010, 04:53:43 AM
Bob: :-*
Did you know that in particular was driving me crazy?

I've bought it so it's mine, If it's mine I should be able to at least modify the looks dammit!

Limited device or not, it has bigger brainz and slightly more muscles than my current big laptop computer...

I suspect it is an issue with any number of Starter-Ed purchasers.  :)

You may be interested to note, that if you do manage to hack it, and install your own wallpaper?  It's a violation of your EULA... !

Seriously-- they specifically mention it in there...

But, there's any number of hacks/fixes on the intertubes, so f&*k micro$uck, I say... Balmer can kiss my grits.

:ROFL:
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Darlica on September 11, 2010, 04:53:43 AM
There's no need to kick it out, you can install Ubuntu on the same disk and it will coexist with windows with no problem. Or you can make an Ubuntu USB drive and run it without touching your hard disk.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Darlica

See, I won't be hacking it, I'm too lazy and unskilled for that kind of stuff, I'm just adding another program albeit a very small one that will run continuously...

I might have to upgrade to home premium anyway, if I can't run an external DVD on this setting. :fit:

I want to throw Windoze out... I'm not a friend of them deciding so for me much and then charging me for not being able to chose...
WTF old windows 3.1 let you change the background on the desktop!

That said at the moment I don't know how well Ubunto will work together with some program I need for work, jumping two OS isn't what I wan't to do, also I don't see the reason of letting Windoze wasting space if I'm not using it...

I have to learn more, and I'd like to be better informed when I make them than I was when I got stuck with this starter edition... Not that I had any choice once I had decided I wanted this particular Eee PC.
I like the machine it seems very nice but had I known this I might have bought a Lenovo with XP instated...

Darlica

UPDATE:

I'm making my self at home in the computer. So far we get along pretty well...

I can warmly recommend the http://www.techspot.com/guides/264-change-wallpaper-on-windows-7-starter/ workaround, very easy to use with a very nice result.

I is considerably cheaper (free) and eats much less processor power than a upgrade to Home Premium... :P

I found that I can use a external DVD player and pretty much everything else I might need...
I'm not able to run two screens which might be a problem if I use it at work displaying powerpoint presentations but that's a minor problem.

:)