News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

I turn off the radio when...

Started by Darlica, April 17, 2009, 10:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darlica

Are there an artist or a special song that makes you turn off the radio?

It's not about what music you generally don't listen to, but artists or songs that you just can't stand, that makes you switch channels, turn the radio off or leave the room at a party?

Personally I have problems with several artists...

First out two Swedish singer-songwriter obscure to you but well known and close to being worshipped in Sweden:
Ted Gärdestad the patron saint of all wannabe singer song-writer boys with thin voices...
and Ulf Lundell, who paints him self as the Swedish equivalent to Dyland and Springsteen in one body with a nasal, drawling voice.

Bob Dyland, I don't know why but I simply can't stand the man's voice, it make my skin crawl...

And of cause it's all about taste and personal point of view. ;)
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

...the commercials are on. ;)
----
My list is too long to place it here. In general terms I despise and can't stand slushy pop ballads particularly in Spanish or Italian, canned pop (the one that sounds all the same no matter who sings), most Vallenatos (a Colombian tropical pseudo folkloric music), Rancheras and Mexican northern music, country (je le déteste), etc, etc, etc.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Not music. Bruce Foresythe and/or Maggie Thatcher (rarely occur together).
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Kaliayev

I turned off the radio about 4 years ago.  Give or take.

I might turn it back on some day, but I doubt it.
The CIA is looking for you.
The KGB is smarter than you think.
Brainwash mentalities to control the system.
Using TV and movies - religions of course.
Yes, the world is headed for destruction.
Is it a nuclear war?
What are you asking for?

beagle

Bob Dylan, Gordon Brown, Tony Blair, Harriet Harman, Gerry Adams and Ian Paisley, Peter Mandelson, Sting, Bono, Geldorf, rap music, anything relating to the EU, "And now to the phones..."

I could be Mary Whitehouses's replacement for turning the radio off
(apart from the sex and Christianity bit).
No idea why I can't stand Bob Dylan; have no problem with the whiney voices of Neil Young and Joni Mitchell.
The angels have the phone box

Bruder Cuzzen

I loathe 95% of Madonna's songs as I feel they are just empty pop tunes that appeal to juveniles without discriminating  taste .
I lump "Maggie" in with Tiffany , the achy breaky heart's kid , Ashly Simpson ( thankfully I've perhaps heard only one unmemorable tune of hers) and a legion of other teen pop performers .
Tom Waits voice ruins his songs for me ( unfortunate ) I can't make out one word because of the distraction of that voice .
I also can't stand vitriolic , hypocritical , bigoted mouth pieces like Rush Limbahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (and others) seem to be .

Aggie

Swedish-export pop.
Partly due to overplaying by either my mother or my sister, I'm sure.
(OTOH, Swedish-export punk is EXCELLENT)

Nearly any mass-produced pop music causes me to turn the dial (that goes for all genres; country-pop, r&b-pop, hip-pop, "easy listening" lite-pop, egregious forms of rock-pop [hair metal], emo-flavored punk-pop, k-pop, and ESPECIALLY bubblegum-pop) actually, although I looooves good creative pop music (Beatles, Talking Heads, early Pink Floyd, Bowie, early Green Day, Pixies, Nirvana, etc.)
WWDDD?

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Like Zono, I have too many to name. So the simple explaination is:
99.9999999999999999999999...9% of music from ~1950 to 1985 shows up on my dial. Also, elevator music, Cajun, soft rock, smooth jazz, most 80s and 90s music, commercial rap (LL Cool J, Snoop, Fifty Cent, etc), most Western pop, death metal, house, all country after Johnny Cash, recent punk, talk radio, and almost all Christian songs/bands get turned off.
Oh, and mariachi. I HATE MARIACHI. There is no right time or place for it and it sounds like the pain-filled yowls of a dozen flogged cats.

The only radio I listen to these days is pandora, so I have pretty good control over what's played.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Griffin NoName

I only turn the radio on when I hit the wrong button.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Opsa

I turn off the radio when it turns ME off.

I can stand lots of different kinds of music, but I don't enjoy hearing hateful messages. Another thing I turn off instantly are maudlin or fear-mongering commericials. Yickola!

Darlica

Quote from: Agujjim on April 29, 2009, 05:27:29 AM
Swedish-export pop.
Partly due to overplaying by either my mother or my sister, I'm sure.
(OTOH, Swedish-export punk is EXCELLENT)

:ROFL:
Swedish-export pop: Abba, Roxette or Ace of Base?  :mrgreen:

What Swedish punk do you listen to?
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Aggie

Didn't know that Roxette was Swedish...  so the former and the latter. ;)

Now, I'm a touch out of date with my punk listening habits, but Millencolin, Refused and International Noise Conspiracy come to mind (latter two have same lead singer I think). 

The friend who originally introduced me to punk is half-Swedish, so I'm sure I've heard many, many more that I can't recall. I know that most of what I've heard, I've liked. 
WWDDD?

Kaliayev

Yeah, Refused and the International Noise Conspiracy have the same guy.  Though IMO it would be nicer if at times the INC sounded like it a little more.  Their edgier and harder rock songs are good, but Refused simply outclass everything they have done to date.
The CIA is looking for you.
The KGB is smarter than you think.
Brainwash mentalities to control the system.
Using TV and movies - religions of course.
Yes, the world is headed for destruction.
Is it a nuclear war?
What are you asking for?