News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

UK airports all closed

Started by Sibling DavidH, April 15, 2010, 02:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: stellinacadente on April 18, 2010, 12:31:53 AM
now that being said, I will take a boat back to the US if I have to...

I was supposed to fly on Tuesady from Rome
Can't you take a train to Madrid and fly from there (Barajas was open or it isn't anymore)? Or perhaps a boat to Athens?
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

stellinacadente

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on April 18, 2010, 05:11:22 PM
Quote from: stellinacadente on April 18, 2010, 12:31:53 AM
now that being said, I will take a boat back to the US if I have to...

I was supposed to fly on Tuesady from Rome
Can't you take a train to Madrid and fly from there (Barajas was open or it isn't anymore)? Or perhaps a boat to Athens?

I suppose...

I could also take the train into Vienna then the Orient Express into Bejin and then Fly to LA and from there to my final destination...

or better yet...maybe get on a boat in Civitavecchia to Southhampton and get then the liner to NYC....

of course if I had the funds Donald Trump allows to travel :D

My question would really be: why the heck don't they reroute the intercontinental flights to North America thru the South???
:explode:
"Pressure... changes everything pressure. Some people you squeeze them, they focus... others fall..."

Al Pacino, The Devil's Advocate

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: stellinacadente on April 18, 2010, 10:32:15 PM
My question would really be: why the heck don't they reroute the intercontinental flights to North America thru the South???

Money?  In that they couldn't bilk the passengers out of enough?

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Yes, I am puzzled why there isn't re-routing going on.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Scriblerus the Philosophe

My theory is this: if it makes sense, it's never going to happen. Re-routing through the South would make sense, therefore, it's an impossibility.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

stellinacadente

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on April 18, 2010, 10:37:50 PM
Quote from: stellinacadente on April 18, 2010, 10:32:15 PM

Money?  In that they couldn't bilk the passengers out of enough?

Ahemmmmm... Airlines are loosing 200 ml Euros (130 ml GBP) per DAY
on cancelled flight only not mentioning the fact that the European commission has delibarated that the passengers on EU soil flying on EU airlines are entitled to refreshment and accomodations as stated in the Chart of Rights of the EU for air passengers...

NOt really seeing that as being a big profit for the airlines there
"Pressure... changes everything pressure. Some people you squeeze them, they focus... others fall..."

stellinacadente

Quote from: Scriblerus the Philosophe on April 18, 2010, 11:51:34 PM
My theory is this: if it makes sense, it's never going to happen. Re-routing through the South would make sense, therefore, it's an impossibility.

I am hoping and wanting to believe very hard that the re-routing matter is a little more subtle than simple stupidity... I am hoping that it entails games of geopolitics involving the airspace at the very least if not airports of countries the NATO and specifically the US would rather not touch... like aheeeemmm... Lybia or Marocco... but that is my theory...
and yet, I say where there is a will there is a way...

My concerns really lay within the Bristish Isles that soon enough will be left without perishable goods not to mention 10 million employess who won't be able to return to work from easter break...
school closures because pupils are left with their parents on a prolonged vacation...

now who would have thought that a volcano on remote Iceland would cause all this mess uh???? :faint:
oh well... I guess the good thing is nobody has been injured in this whole thing...

Griffin NoName

Quote from: stellinacadente on April 19, 2010, 12:13:52 AM
My concerns really lay within the Bristish Isles that soon enough will be left without perishable goods ............

Having just watched a docu. on overweight children wasting health service resources maybe that's a good thing :o
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

No, it's the shelf-stable stuff that's the issue there - sorry to stereotype, but I doubt most deathly overweight children will pine for their veg... :P
WWDDD?

Sibling DavidH

A relative was complaining she couldn't get sugar-snap peas (or some such) and I thought, 'How tragic for you!'
We Brits won't suffer from being short of a few flowers and luxury vegetables, but I feel sorry for the poor blighters in Africa whose livelihoods are on hold.  The workers were probably earning something like a dollar for a 12-hour day, and now even that's gone.

Last night we watched a documentary showing little kids in Bangladesh working in hellish conditions in glass factories, peasants whose homes are being eroded by the river, then Chin tribesmen in Burma being hounded by the army.  I thought they'd jump at the chance to hang around in an airport hall for a few days, it would be luxury for them.

stellinacadente

Now I am confuzed...

where are these peoplehttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1267257/Iceland-volcano-eruption-UK-flight-ban-LIFTED-tomorrow.html getting their infor from??? tarot cards??

Meanwhile I have found this superb shot...I thought i'd share :)

stellinacadente

well... Reuters http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE63I1WN20100419?type=marketsNews says the same...

"I am leavin' on a jet plane..."

(won't believe it until I am up in the air LOL)

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: stellinacadente on April 19, 2010, 12:01:47 AM
NOt really seeing that as being a big profit for the airlines there

Exactly my point, m'dear....  modern airlines will use any excuse they can, I think, so they can whine about being 'strategic resources' and get lovely govm't money instead.

In spite of all these "losses" I bet you a new, garden-ripe tomato that none of the top brass in any airline is foregoing any of his usual perks and "bonuses"....
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

ivor

They will be lucky if there's not an incident.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Losing $200M a day they can "afford" losing a 767/A330 a month easily. That is a very scary thought.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.