News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

UK airports all closed

Started by Sibling DavidH, April 15, 2010, 02:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Quote from: DavidH on April 16, 2010, 08:29:46 AM
Quote from: Griffin NoNameI rather like it when natural events prevent people doing stuff = it gives a proper perspective on things.
I doubt if you would like it as much if it were your holiday being ruined.

Sorry. I thought that might not have come out right. I was looking on it at the macro level. I hope you get away ok...... but it's not looking good.*

But I stand by my comment on perspective. Nature is bigger than all of us. As far as I know, no one has been killed by this erruption, so far at least.

* if you went to Scotland you might be able to get a flight to somewhere south via flyiing west enough..... west west west south south south east Capri? that's if the wind stays in the same direction.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Low flying planes are still allowed here. So hire a bush pilot if need be :mrgreen:

Maybe this will lead to an Ekranoplan revival.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

S'okay, Griffin, - sorry I snapped at you, but you can guess I was a bit annoyed at the prospect of losing our holiday!  That must be a certainty now, but we've not heard from the tour company yet.  The main thing is, we ought to get our money back.  Due to various commitments, we're now unlikely to get away until autumn.

I take your point about perspective - just compare this 'disaster' to those earthquakes - and anyway just on the travel issue we're better off than all those people stuck in foreign airports.

I don't know how you guys can blame it on the poor ole aliens; can't you see it's god's punishment of those who dare to criticise his priests for kiddy-fiddling.  :mrgreen:

Griffin NoName

Sorry you've lost the holiday. It does look as if this one will drag on. I imagine anyone determined to get from A to B will find a way - they used to manage without planes after all we had a whole empire :mrgreen:
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

So not even turboprops are flying? I understand the problem with turbines, but turboprops fly lower and perhaps can work with filters? Also I believe there are extra trains working overtime to get people everywhere.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Sibling DavidH

I'm afraid they'll not get such things organised for some time yet, if the problem continues.  In Western Europe, some people are managing to move by train, but Channel Ferry prices have risen enormously.

John Cleese got back from Norway by taxi to Brussels and then the Eurostar train, but he can afford over £3,000.  :mrgreen:

ivor

Even a regular piston engine has problems with volcanic ash.  Supposedly you can put nylons over the air filter and it will be okay.  Any aircraft that has an altimeter and air speed indicator is gonna have problems.

Sibling DavidH

Somebody must steal Big Brenda's tights.  We can put them over the air-intake of the Turbofans and off we go.  Mind you, the cabin air might have a bit of a whiff.   ;D

Swatopluk

Quote from: DavidH on April 17, 2010, 04:05:29 PM
John Cleese got back from Norway by taxi to Brussels and then the Eurostar train, but he can afford over £3,000.  :mrgreen:

The Norwegian prime minister too had to take the car home. His plane from NYC went to Madrid. then he got a plane to Switzerland. From there by car all the way. In total: 50 hours.
Apple will probably use him for ads, since while stranded at NY Kennedy airport he remote-governed his country by iPad.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

Now how's this for annoying - my travel company refuses to declare the flight cancelled until the NATS announcement officially covers it.  All day we've been waiting for the official word and now NATS have just given their latest extension of the ban... until 1300 tomorrow.  Our flight is at 1410.  It's obviously darn near certain that we won't fly, but we can't be sure until we get the next announcement at about 0300 tomorrow.  Mrs H now wants to pack the luggage, just in case.   :headbang: :headbang:

Griffin NoName

eek!  Packing is bad at the best of times. The wind looks pretty set to keep blowing this way.
Psychic Hotline Host

stellinacadente

Quote from: Griffin NoName on April 17, 2010, 11:48:17 PM
eek!  Packing is bad at the best of times. The wind looks pretty set to keep blowing this way.
the wind blows that way constantly, it is the "jet stream" airlines use to get a (almost) free ride from North America into (most) Europe...

I head this thing has not erupted for 200 years, but the last time it did it lasted over a year...

now that being said, I will take a boat back to the US if I have to...

I was supposed to fly on Tuesady from Rome (visiting family)...
and this :censored: volcano starts spitting fire...

oh well, I feel lucky though... all those people sleeping at the airport around the world...
"Pressure... changes everything pressure. Some people you squeeze them, they focus... others fall..."

Al Pacino, The Devil's Advocate

Sibling DavidH

Hard luck, Stella, you're worse off than we are if you're missing a family visit.  Hope it's not an occasion like a wedding or something.  Still, as you say, we're safe and comfortable at home.

stellinacadente

Quote from: DavidH on April 18, 2010, 11:16:41 AM
Hard luck, Stella, you're worse off than we are if you're missing a family visit.  Hope it's not an occasion like a wedding or something.  Still, as you say, we're safe and comfortable at home.

Thanks David... I actually reside in the US and trying to (finally) escape from visiting family in Italy (there is only so much closeness I can take :D)
"Pressure... changes everything pressure. Some people you squeeze them, they focus... others fall..."

Al Pacino, The Devil's Advocate

Griffin NoName

Newspaper reports cars parked in my bit of London covered in ash out of a totally clear sky. Haven't been out to check mine.
Psychic Hotline Host