News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

UK airports all closed

Started by Sibling DavidH, April 15, 2010, 02:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling DavidH

We're due to fly to Cyprus on Sunday, and now we learn that all UK airports are closed due to a cloud of volcanic ash blowing down from Iceland.  They may re-open tomorrow :flyingpig: 

No, I know it's not April 1st.

So there seems to be a fair chance that we won't fly, or that there will be disruption as they clear backlogs.  Fingers crossed for Mr & Mrs H, please, everybody.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

So, not happy with screwing their own economy and hunting whales, they are now clogging up airports*? What's wrong with them?  ;) :mrgreen:
--
Hopefully you'll be able to fly soon. :-[

*or hosting videos of collateral "damage" (wikileaks is hosted in Iceland)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Darlica

They should reroute you, the tunnel train to Paris and your flight from there (unlike UK, Scandinavia and Denmark, France seem clear of the ash cloud so far)... Sadly enough I don't think they are going to jump such hoops for tourists.

Stockholm Arlanda Airport have announced that they will shut down the runways at 6pm this evening due to the cloud.
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Scriblerus the Philosophe

"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Griffin NoName

Most northern airports in France and the two Paris ones are shut.

It's bright and sunny here in London. Assume the ash is too high to see. But why isn't it blocking out the sun?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

ivor

Quote from: Scriblerus the Philosophe on April 15, 2010, 05:28:59 PM
I hopes it clears up!

Well yeah, unless a Volcanic Winter sounds fun. :mrgreen:

No!  Don't throw me in the volcano?  No, no!  Ahhhh!!!!

*ffffttttt*

Made an ash of myself...

Griffin NoName

It's still errupting - could go on and on......

I rather like it when natural events prevent people doing stuff = it gives a proper perspective on things.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

German airports are closing down too. On airports still open only flights South are not cancelled.

According to the papers the ash particles are deadly to jet engines. Several cases were quoted where suddenly all engines failed when a plane passed through the cloud. Worse, the ash clouds are not detected by the usual weather radar on the planes.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

Quote from: Griffin NoNameI rather like it when natural events prevent people doing stuff = it gives a proper perspective on things.
I doubt if you would like it as much if it were your holiday being ruined.

ivor

It could get worse.  The longer the eruption goes on the more likely a larger nearby volcano may erupt also.  This has occurred in the past at this very spot.

Volcanic ash is deadly for planes.  In addition to fatally damaging engines, it can plug sensors that measure airspeed and altitude.

Swatopluk

Soon Michel Crichton will write a (posthoumous) novel with he premise that Greens have triggered the volcano in order to reduce wasteful flying :mrgreen:.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Michael Crichton should do a remake of the Voyage to the Center of the Earth and do some on site research, preferably inside one of those volcanoes.

Swatopluk

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on April 16, 2010, 01:05:13 PM
Michael Crichton should do a remake of the Voyage to the Center of the Earth and do some on site research, preferably inside one of those volcanoes.

Being (at least officially) dead he might be doing that just right now ;)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Didn't aliens took him off the planet (they're the ones causing global warming, right?).  ::)

ivor

Yeah, that's why Charlie Sheen is so messed up now. :mrgreen:  Ever seen The Arrival?