News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Potheads

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), October 07, 2009, 11:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

Ah, the advantages of becoming old and decrepit.

Zan

Quote from: Jayna on October 08, 2009, 07:27:58 PM
Wow, I've never seen anyone light up DURING the concert! Of course, the last big concert I went to was Tori Amos, different crowd. I'm such a girlie-girl.

Cornflake Girl is the best horrormirth song ever.

Jayna

Quote from: Zan on October 08, 2009, 11:14:19 PM
Quote from: Jayna on October 08, 2009, 07:27:58 PM
Wow, I've never seen anyone light up DURING the concert! Of course, the last big concert I went to was Tori Amos, different crowd. I'm such a girlie-girl.

Cornflake Girl is the best horrormirth song ever.

That was practically my theme song when I was in my 20's.
It's true. Zan got hosed on the superpower thing.

Aggie

Quote from: Opsanus tau on October 08, 2009, 07:58:05 PMMaybe now you can show your kid the joys of the small show. Find a little dive somewhere where it doesn't cost a whole lot to go in, where the acts are fresher, and the potheads go out to the fire escape to toke.

Dunno, the last show I saw at my favorite small venue was preeeeety thick with smoke. Mind you, it's at the university.... and it's Canada.....  and the smoking area outside always has security guards....  and the opening band was toking up on stage during the set.  ::)

What pissed me off a bit with that show was the dad there with his young child sitting on his shoulders during the show...  kid MUST have been high as a kite.

I think the provision of security is the biggest factor for where the potheads are - if you get busted by the cops toking up in your car before the show, it's probably a bigger deal than getting ousted by security.  MacEwan Hall (above-noted venue) does try to control smoking in the crowd during the show, but it's difficult.  Security in the smoking area is tight and re-entry is restricted, so it ends up indoors.

I went to a Pink Floyd laser show a few years back, and there were lots of people firing up around us (probably not surprising) - most of 'em were my dad's age, I think.

Eh, better than Shambhala, anyways - the year I went, the 18-y.o. kids in the camp next to ours started ripping rails of ketamine off the hood of their car around 11 am.   :puke:
WWDDD?

Opsa

Hmm, that's interesting. I'm now realizing that when I switched to small venues (the old 9:30 Club and d.c.space in Washington D.C.), it was during a movement (and I'll let you interpret that as you may) called Straight Edge Punk. One theory of Straight edge Punk was that nothing could be scarier than a punk that was NOT drinking or on drugs. Clubs were full of young, twitchy, mohawked people with torn clothes and too much eyeliner spouting dystopian poetry and arguing politics who were TOTALLY SOBER! It was the fashion, an answer to the heavy metal clubs. It was interesting and fun, too.

Of course, there was drinking, and smoking, but it was more around the edges than in the center, and in the midst of the angst was rather a jolly feeling of comradeship. I guess I thought that things had progressed from there, but it seems not. A pity.

beagle

Quote from: Agujjim on October 09, 2009, 04:28:43 AM
I went to a Pink Floyd laser show a few years back, and there were lots of people firing up around us (probably not surprising) - most of 'em were my dad's age, I think.

It's bad enough remembering where you left your glasses, let alone where you hid the stash.

At one point Floyd concerts were considered restrained compared to Hawkwind. You wouldn't want to be within two blocks downwind if they were playing the Corn Exchange (but even I don't date back to Floyd's UFO club days).
The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

Quote from: beagle on October 09, 2009, 10:09:35 PM
You wouldn't want to be within two blocks downwind if they were playing the Corn Exchange (but even I don't date back to Floyd's UFO club days).

oh Beagle thou art such a babe !

I saw Pat Metheney at the Corn Exchange. It was the best thing ever.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Quote from: Opsanus tau on October 09, 2009, 05:17:11 PM
Hmm, that's interesting. I'm now realizing that when I switched to small venues (the old 9:30 Club and d.c.space in Washington D.C.), it was during a movement (and I'll let you interpret that as you may) called Straight Edge Punk. One theory of Straight edge Punk was that nothing could be scarier than a punk that was NOT drinking or on drugs. Clubs were full of young, twitchy, mohawked people with torn clothes and too much eyeliner spouting dystopian poetry and arguing politics who were TOTALLY SOBER! It was the fashion, an answer to the heavy metal clubs. It was interesting and fun, too.

XXX

I always get a giggle out of NOFX's cover of Minor Threat's 'Straight Edge'.  Of course, Fat Mike isn't in the same solar system as straight edge, especially these days. ::)

Quote from: NOFX - I Am An AlcoholicI liked going to school,
I didn't want to fool around with drugs
Cuz all of my friends were dropping out
I had to get stuff done, I wasn't fun
I didn't try pot 'til I was 21,
but now I'm overcompensating

I'd like to see what morning looks like
Don't wanna drink pint after pint
I wanna wake up without feeling sick
But I can't cuz I'm a drug-abusing alcoholic

I personally don't drink (much) at the punk rock show, because I tend to fall down in the mosh pit. ::)
OTOH, a couple hundred mg's of caffeine doesn't hurt.
WWDDD?