News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Potheads

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), October 07, 2009, 11:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Disclaimer 1: the use of psychoactive drugs is generally considered a very stupid thing with the very few exceptions when medical use is legit*.

Disclaimer 2: I personally believe in individual freedoms, to the point of letting people kill themselves if that is their desire, as long as their [auto]destructive behavior doesn't affect others.
---
My son turned fourteen two weeks ago, and as his birthday present he wanted to go to a Metallica concert, to which we went last week. We didn't have the best seats in the place but it was OK (a bit of acoustic problems possibly due to our position in the stadium and the type of music with a loud bass and battery, but nothing that prevented us from enjoying the concert).

The place was packed with very few empty seats as soon as the concert started, and perhaps predictably the potheads started their vice. In the beginning it was just a bit of smell but at some point into the concert a bunch of guys two rows and a few seats to our right started smoking, even worse the guys in front of us lighted theirs just two minutes later.

WTF is wrong with this people?!?!?

If you want to get high why don't you do it in the comfort of your house, car, park, or some bloody place where those of us who don't like the stuff don't have to be second hand smokers?!?! For f%^k sakes, I don't care if you use pills, powder or needles I don't wanna smell that f%^ing thing!!! If the only way you can enjoy the concert is being hi, why the f&(k don't you do it in your car? Is really that difficult to understand that there are other people there, and that perhaps they don't need drugs to enjoy the music?

Thankfully they only smoked one bloody thing so that the headache I got didn't last as much even while trying to steer the smoke away in a very conspicuous way that obviously was completely ignored by the perps.

Frankly, while I believe in the legalization of drugs it was very tempting to call someone to take the idiots out.

* medical use of marijuana applies to cancer patients on chimo to name a case.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on October 07, 2009, 11:52:43 PM
... Frankly, while I believe in the legalization of drugs it was very tempting to call someone to take the idiots out.

You, sir, are a paragon of patience.

I'm allergic to smoke-- so I'd'a called security toot-sweet...

On the other hand?  You couldn't'a paid me $1,000US to sit through a Metallica shindig.... even if I *did* have a kid...

::)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

ivor

That's happened at every concert I've ever been too.  Not as bad at Bon Jovi. At Motley Crue you could hardly see the stage for the smoke. :mrgreen:

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on October 08, 2009, 11:11:43 AM
That's happened at every concert I've ever been too.  Not as bad at Bon Jovi. At Motley Crue you could hardly see the stage for the smoke. :mrgreen:

Thinking back, the last two concerts I went to were Pink Floyd, in the late 90's and The Rolling Stones, in the early 90's.  Both down in Texas, in huge semi-covered stadiums.  Both had rent-a-cops on patrol, up and down the isles. I did see a few hauled off in the near distance.  But nobody lit up so much as a ciggy-- prominent "No Smoking" signs on the way in, with warnings you'd be ejected--no refunds of any kind, if caught.   At $50/ticket (where I sat) most folk realized it wasn't worth being kicked out entirely over.  There were designated smoking areas-- at least the signs said so.

It may have been due to Texas being a death-penalty state?  ::)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

ivor

I was in Florida.  No one seemed to care there...

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Apparently no one seems to care indeed. In fact I don't recall any No Smoking sign anywhere.

Zan

I am a very crude man.  If my son was with me, he's a little older than yours, but not much, I'd have simply snatched their joint and put it out...in their ear.

You, sir, are a better man than I.

ivor

I can't see them putting thousands of angry potheads out in the street.  There'd be a riot.

Zan

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on October 08, 2009, 04:56:59 PM
I can't see them putting thousands of angry potheads out in the street.  There'd be a riot.

Potheads don't riot.  They whine about people "harshing their buzz".

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Pot is a depressor so I too doubt the riot would start there, OTOH the rest of the concert population may get angry in that case.
--
I happen to like Metallica so while the smell was a hassle I actually enjoyed the concert. Had it been something I didn't like, you'd be listening to a very different tale.

Jayna

Wow, I've never seen anyone light up DURING the concert! Of course, the last big concert I went to was Tori Amos, different crowd. I'm such a girlie-girl.

I did see people smoking out before the show, outdoors, but not a whiff of it during, and it was an outdoor venue.

Oooh I saw Mark Growden at Mississippi Studios, that was great! Not so much of a stoner crowd I don't think.
It's true. Zan got hosed on the superpower thing.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The concert was on a hockey stadium (which in FL means closed).

A while back we went to an Apocalyptica concert in a smaller closed venue and while at some point I got a bit of smell it wasn't as flagrant as this case. Perhaps cellos playing rock are for a more discerning crowd?

Opsa

I only went to a few big venue concerts in the 1970's and smoking pot at the concert was very common, then. Of course, we're talking about Pink Floyd, Yes (a number of times, I was a big Yes fan), The Beach Boys & Chicago, and Jefferson Starship, so it was no huge surprise to see this happening. Still, once I discovered the comfort of small venue concerts, I only went to them. I wouldn't go to another big stadium concert for anything. Yech. The beverage and rest room lines alone would turn anyone off, never mind the weed haze. That was the least of my worries.

It's interesting to hear people are still doing it, though. I guess the big war on drugs was not a mission accomplished.

Maybe now you can show your kid the joys of the small show. Find a little dive somewhere where it doesn't cost a whole lot to go in, where the acts are fresher, and the potheads go out to the fire escape to toke.

ivor

Maybe there's a market for Scott Air Packs at the concerts?  "Air Packs, get your Air Packs!" :mrgreen:

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I have the feeling that taking a scuba tank (even a small one) to a venue might be a problem, and a simple O2 with mask may only work if you look older than 60 and come in a wheelchair (although the seats -spaces really- are better).
;)  :mrgreen: