News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Internet of Things

Started by Griffin NoName, April 12, 2014, 03:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

This Internet of Things is scary. I don't want my fridge, or anything else, connected to the internet. I just heard about it from a friend who thinks it's all fantastic but I was just alarmed.

Ok, I suppose this is the future. You won't be able to buy washing machines etc which don't connect to the internet.

But why connect?

This is exactly what we have always been warned about. 1984.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bluenose

I think it's pretty stupid.  When you buy a major appliance like a fridge, you expect it to last about 20 years or more.  If it comes with a built in computer of some sort that connects to the internet, I would be very surprised if it would be upgradeable, who wants to use a 10, 15 or 20 year old computer for anything (other than a boat anchor)?
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Aggie

That's the point, no? People don't buy new appliances every 3 years if they last for 20. Which would you prefer, if you were a manufacturer? 

That's why we now have $600 phones that catastrophically fail when dropped from a height of 1 m, or get sprinkled with water.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

While I do get some of the arguments in favor, I do share Griffin's creep about the whole thing, if the fridge knows what do I get inside, that can be used for marketing -or worse- profiling, and we all know that the NSAs and GCHQs of this world pay no attention to privacy laws, nor the CIAs or MI6s of this world care for human rights once they get you.

The last thing I want is to be waterboarded because I had hummus and kibbe in my fridge!
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.