News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Intelligent/Unintelligent Software

Started by Griffin NoName, April 11, 2013, 04:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

I perceiev the need for a thread like this as we get more and more automated in every aspect of our lives. We reallly need to keep a watch on it.

For example:

I have my groceries delivered every week at the same time on the same day, because paying in advance to have this service saves a big amount of money on delivery costs.

I was delighted to find that this service also provides a ready basket with all my groceries, the idea being I don't even need to think about what I need. The selection is automatic and based on previous purchases, but not any actual order, a mix of several different ones. Sounds good.

Except. Every week they put in the same four or five items which I don't want and I have to remove. There's nothing special about these items - for example, one is a tin of sweetcorn. Even though I remove these particular items, the system never seems to notice, and just puts them back in the following week. 

I'd love to know why! I feel I am being bullied! ::)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Because they really want to sell you those and are hoping that you will not notice...  ::)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

......but they are low cost items............I could understand if they were expensive.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Low cost items are often high margin.  If they put in extravagant items, then the customers would get REALLY upset.  If it's just a couple of pounds here and there, they likely get away with it.
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

That makes sense. But they don't get away with it, partly as I have nowhere to store stuff extraneous to need, partly because I don't want them anyway, and it all makes me cross. In fact it creates work for me, as I have to logon every week just to delete the same items, whereas otherwise I'd just not bother..........hmmmm I suppose they want me to have to logon so they tempt me to buy delicious looking items that they flash up......but I'm not really that kind of buyer.
Psychic Hotline Host

Aggie

It's not aimed at 'you', but works on a statistical basis across all their customers. Some won't be arsed to complain about it.

It's like spam, sort of.... who actually responds to spam ads?  Very, very few people, statistically, but the huge volume of ads and tiny per-ad cost means that there's still a meaningful return. 

Provided they don't permanently lose too many customers, there's probably a net increase in sales.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Welcome to 21st century corporate robbery marketing strategies...
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

I think it quite likely that family shoppers take up their special offers. For a single person an offer of 5 pots of cream desert for the price of 4, that will go off within 24 hours, isn't really a winner. Single people are SO discriminated against.
Psychic Hotline Host