News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Smart Phones

Started by Griffin NoName, January 05, 2013, 05:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Meromorph

Dances with Motorcycles.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

There you go!

I would get the OEM one, myself.  I've had dodgy batteries that did not last one week.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Thanks Mero. Certainly look the ticket.

I am beset with trivial problems at present, without the energy to resolve them. Too many to list here, but you know the kind of things that just make life silly. And that always come along all at the same time as if Jupiter is not in conjunction with Mars or whatever.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Got my first smartphone today. FML.  :duh:

WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I take it that is an older [model] phone (that doesn't look like Android which is what all new Xperias use now).
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

I think it's somewhere around 5 years old, and uses Android 2 IIRC.

I got it mostly as the best option for a talk-and-text with a physical QWERTY keyboard, but still pocket-size.  It's slightly smaller than my hated flip phone, although it's noticeably heavier.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I've used Android since V.1.1 (what came out from the G1 when they hit the market) and that doesn't look like it. It may be using a skin making it look different, or, it may be something else before Sony fully embraced Android.

Aggie

I don't know a damned thing about Android, but it says android on the box and everything I've read says it is; you might be right on the skin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Ericsson_Xperia_X10_Mini#Sony_Ericsson_Xperia_X10_mini_pro
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Well blow me down with a hedge trimmer! Never thought to see you fall into the Smart phone trap Aggie!! :mrgreen: Next thing we'll be hearing you joined FB. :mrgreen:

What decided you?

Looks like a great phone, I wouldn't mind a physical keyboard, though wouldn't like the weight.

I love Sony Xperia''s - am considering a step up on my current one as I keep running out of space (never mind getting great new apps, I am constantly having to discard ones). Possible it won't be an Xperia, but I shall stick with Sony.

Welcome to the era of the smartphone.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Android 2 is quite usable.  ;)

Aggie

Quote from: Griffin NoName on April 26, 2015, 03:52:01 AM
Well blow me down with a hedge trimmer! Never thought to see you fall into the Smart phone trap Aggie!! :mrgreen: Next thing we'll be hearing you joined FB. :mrgreen:

What decided you?

Looks like a great phone, I wouldn't mind a physical keyboard, though wouldn't like the weight.

I love Sony Xperia''s - am considering a step up on my current one as I keep running out of space (never mind getting great new apps, I am constantly having to discard ones). Possible it won't be an Xperia, but I shall stick with Sony.

Welcome to the era of the smartphone.

Mostly I decided to take (Zono's?) past advice to use Ebay to find a phone I'd actually want to use (loath my flip phone, but the choices from my carrier are either crap flip or full touchscreen smartphone).  I wanted a slider with a physical QWERTY keyboard, so this was my best option.  Smartphone functionality wasn't a feature I was looking for, and all things being equal I would have preferred a dumb phone. It wasn't, however, enough for me to stop purchasing it.

I already loathe that Google is trying to track me, and immediately disabled as many apps as possible.

In any case, I can't get the bloody thing to connect to my carrier (possibly it's locked), so it may end up being a fancy pocket-size camera/mp3 player instead.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Aggie on April 27, 2015, 01:57:48 AM
In any case, I can't get the bloody thing to connect to my carrier (possibly it's locked), so it may end up being a fancy pocket-size camera/mp3 player instead.
Oops. I've used a service to unlock phones and it wasn't that expensive:

http://www.cellunlocker.net/unlock-sony-xperia.php

I believe you need to know what the previous carrier was in order to unlock it though.

Aggie

There are several phone repair shops around here as of the last year or so; I'll probably have one of them take a look at it to see if I've missed anything obvious. If it's indeed locked, they might be able to unlock it for a reasonable price. I'm a little nervous about the unlock sites, perhaps irrationally, and would pay a bit of a premium to have a human do it for me (even if they used the same site :P).
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Normally I would be apprehensive as well, but I've used those guys successfully twice already, just so you know.

Aggie

Good to know. I appreciate the first-hand recommendation; internet reviews haven't been 100% helpful, and I'm a bit wary of the delay involved in getting codes (usually only 24 hrs, but in our instant-fix society it's hard to wait. ;)). 

I do need to know that the actual problem is a locked phone first - it was supposed to be unlocked as sent. Also, I have no idea what carrier it would have been locked to. Looks like a factory phone, with no carrier logos on it or the box.
WWDDD?