News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Acrobat

Started by Griffin NoName, May 18, 2012, 11:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

So............. I've always had Adobe Acrobat... it was always free.... or rather, at least, I had the free version... I have v.8.3.1 and on the Adobe site they say they are no longer supporting v.8

But it looks to me like there's no free version of v.9 or v.10 -

Is this really so? Are the really making everyone pay for this basic s/w - ?

seems odd

or am missing something?

(yes, I know there are other PDF creators etc but I am interested in Adobe)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

The reader is still free. I am at version 10. Update less than a week ago, I'd say.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

Yes, it's free here, but that's only the reader.  It does seem as if you have to pay for the Acrobat.

Griffin NoName

Yes, I know the reader is free. But I use the Acrobat add-ons for printing PDFs from IE, ie. when shopping I retain a copy of the transaction. It is also a printer option in my print function.

Peeved that they have stopped it being free.

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

I know you're not looking for other PDF thingies, but it's worth trying out  PDF creator, because it'll also make image files like .jpg.  I use it a lot.

Beware - it may try to install adware, but you can refuse it no problem.

Griffin NoName

Yes, I have PDF creator bookmarked. Glad to know it works ok.
Psychic Hotline Host

Roland Deschain

That's a shame. It's always been there whenever I needed it. Oh well, off to use other products, I suppose. My pride and joy is a proggie that converts .doc into .pdf, complete with pdf bookmarks. That's come in handy many times.
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Swatopluk

Newer version of Word have a doc-to-pdf converter feature.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Roland Deschain on May 23, 2012, 06:19:31 PM
That's a shame. It's always been there whenever I needed it. Oh well, off to use other products, I suppose. My pride and joy is a proggie that converts .doc into .pdf, complete with pdf bookmarks. That's come in handy many times.

what is the program?

Quote from: Swatopluk on May 23, 2012, 08:18:52 PM
Newer version of Word have a doc-to-pdf converter feature.

yes, works reasonably well
Psychic Hotline Host

Roland Deschain

Quote from: Griffin NoName on May 23, 2012, 09:01:49 PMwhat is the program?
I use DocSmartz Platinum (LINK). It's normally $140, but is currently "only" $70, which is expensive, but I was given a license for free (an old job perk i've retained after leaving ;D ). I've never had to use free software for conversion to .pdf, so can't recommend anything specific for you. :(
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Caliber (the eBook manager package) can convert to/from PDF's... I think.  It's conversion engines are pretty comprehensive.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

But you can't embed Calibre as an add-on to IE.
Psychic Hotline Host

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Griffin NoName on May 26, 2012, 02:03:43 AM
But you can't embed Calibre as an add-on to IE.

Some would consider that a plus.

:D
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Very funny.

Have discovered I own PDF Converter by Scansoftt/Nuance, but v.v.old version 3.0 - i's up to v.50 zillion by now. So prob. mine won't launch on Vista. And anyway, it's the wrong way round. ie. pdf->x not x->pdf
Psychic Hotline Host