News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Calibre

Started by Griffin NoName, April 24, 2012, 07:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Just installed.

It asks for an email address. As far as I can see from the user manual, this only needed to send/receive emails. I don't want to use Calibre to send/receieve emails. Why would I need to?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

I don't remember that, so I don't remember if I gave them an address, but I've had nothing from them.  Of course, they might be selling the data on.  If it's installed and working, you can be a spoilsport.  ;D

Griffin NoName

Thanks.

In actual fact, they specified a gmail account as the one to set up just for them........... clearly I was right to be suspicious if you've never needed to use email.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Griffin NoName on April 24, 2012, 07:52:18 PM
Thanks.

In actual fact, they specified a gmail account as the one to set up just for them........... clearly I was right to be suspicious if you've never needed to use email.

I just checked-- I did not elect to give them an email addy-- none is listed in the preferences section.

It's mainly for those folks who like to pass around eBooks (not unlike the olden days, when we would pass around dead-tree books).   It would also be useful for a virtual ebook club, to pass around the current ebook that is on the list for the club to read and discuss.

But, you can easily do that separate from Calibre, so I see no real advantage to giving it out.   So I didn't.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Sounds like you don't have the latest version of Calibre. It asks for email addi, in a quite aggressive fashion, the first time you run it after installation/update. Anyway, glad I skipped it.
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling DavidH

That's odd.  I update it regularly, and it was only a few days ago that I went to v. 0.8.48, but it never asks for an addy.

Quote from: Griffin NoName on April 25, 2012, 02:43:46 AM
Sounds like you don't have the latest version of Calibre. It asks for email addi, in a quite aggressive fashion, the first time you run it after installation/update. Anyway, glad I skipped it.

Interesting.  I've updated to the very latest copy.  But I installed it years ago... and have upgraded through each step of the way.

And it never did ask me for an addy (that I recall) -- I suspect when you upgrade from the earlier (non-email aware) versions, it's already setup it's registry entries (the places for e-mail in my copy are all blank), so it's not triggered to do that.

Or else I just skipped putting it in-- I routinely refuse e-mail addys for things, if I do not see the merit in letting them have it.  If there's a skip option?  I always choose "skip", as a matter of habit.  So that could be it.

Griffin NoName

There wasn't a skip option. I pressed Next without filling in the email box, expecting to get told there was an error, but to my surprise and joy, it just went on to the next page.

You must be right about the registry.
Psychic Hotline Host

I always try that option-- leave it blank.

If I'm forced to put one in, on something I never expect to return to again?  I use "nospam at nospam.com" which typically gets past the artificial stupid.  

Griffin NoName

Nice.

I used to have a catchaall address, but I gave it up.
Psychic Hotline Host

Oh, I have no idea where "nospam at nospam.com" comes from or goes to... it's pure-D fiction.    But it has the form of an e-mail addy, so...

:devil2:

Roland Deschain

I do the same as well when I can't progress without an email addy, although i've not had to do it for a long time. I don't remember what was asked of me when I installed Calibre last year, though.

Still, it's a handy little programme that should stand you in good stead in the years to come.
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers