News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Amazon's Kindle

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, September 07, 2008, 11:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beagle

The electronic "paper" is getting better apparently.

Slightly more info here.

Think this is something that I heard of locally a couple of years ago (but all the shares were privately owned by people happy to hold them as I recall).

The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

Love the men in black. Always wondered why SOCO wear white suits ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Here's a couple of opinions by some "bookish" Brits on the subject

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7656513.stm

There's more e-readers out there than I realized by far.

I still think Amazon's instant download of a new book trumps the others, though.

More thoughts on my Kindle.

The download to purchase a new book has become the defining feature, I think.  The experience of reading a book on it has become completely transparent-- I don't even realize I'm clicking the buttons anymore-- seamless reading (just as you--if you're an avid reader-- do not process the motions to turn a page in a dead-tree book).

I even used the "basic web" feature to navigate to Amazon's mobile website (the default mode) and ordered a car-charger for it-- non-book accessories do not appear in the standard Kindle store, it seems.

I have a number of ideas for improvements, and I will likely e-mail those to Amazon at some point.  But none are deal-killers--enhancements only.  Nits-to-pick.

Yesterday, I was in a store looking for a new TV (yes, my 15 year old box finally croaked.  I had purchased it on a whim, to tide me over until I could get a really nice one-- 15 years ago.  Best bang-for-the-buck $$ I ever spent.  $200 in early 1990's.... Sanyo brand...) and I noticed that Target is selling the Sony e-book readers.  I liked what I saw-- but the Sony's lack the wireless delivery feature.   I helped a striking woman and her smart daughter compare it to Amazon's.   She will be ordering the Amazon one, mainly  because it will be a gift, and the receiver loves daily newspapers...a feature the Kindle has wirelessly. (Sorry about that, Target/Sony...) ((and no, I didn't buy a TV at Target, either....))

I didn't think the instant (nearly-- 2-5 seconds) delivery would matter-- but I finished a book in a series, and was able to order, and begin reading within 5 minutes the next book, without even getting out of bed... nice!

So convenient, that I now consider it the defining feature of the technology.

I've also made use of the sample read feature extensively, too.   I browse the Kindle store (from bed, my easy chair, while waiting on my lunch-order to be completed...anywhere it strikes me and I have time) and if a book seems interesting, I download a sample, and within minutes, start reading.  If I like?  All samples (so far) have a nice convenient linky at the end to "buy whole  book now".... too easy.

How else can I, at 2am on Saturday Night, purchase a book to read that suits my mood, all without leaving the comfort (and warmth) of my waterbed?  

Okay, enough of that aspect.  Some of the quirks that I would fix.  The cover that it ships with is very sturdy, and I like it a lot.  Except the "fastening" method they came up with to keep the kindle in it doesn't.   At all.   It's just too easy for the Kindle to fall out of the factory cover.  I'm going to get some industrial-strength velcro strips to overcome this (after reading several forums on the subject).   There are a couple of after-market covers, but these are either too expensive (even if they are made of excellent quality dead-animal skin) too clunky (cannot hold one handed) or are so popular that they are perpetually out of stock (no, really---I found one querky site that only sells hand-made covers of excellent quality, mostly fabric (typically not dead animal skins...not that there's anything wrong with dead animal skin covers, especially if the animal in question was eaten anyway...) and holds the kindle by 4 corners securely.  But, alas, the maker only churns out a few of these a month, and is currently completely out.

So, I intend to address the falling out issue with velcro.  

Next quirk:  the "next page" button on the right is way too easy to click, if you are handling the kindle (and not reading).  That is, it's too easy to press that button while picking it up and putting it down.  Now, there is a "sleep" function, which locks the keys, and I try to utilize it to address the issue.  Or, I close the cover, which protects the keys.  But sometimes, I just want to put the kindle down for a bit (go refresh my water glass or something) and when I return, it's too easy to page-forward several pages.  Not fatal-- you can back-page just as easy:  rapid clicks on the back and it blinks only 1 time, but silently goes back several pages.  Not unlike dropping your paperback book accidentally, and loosing your place.  You page back and forth a bit, til you find where you were.  

Next quirk:  charging.  Why did they create yet another device-specific charging port?  Why not utilize the trend set by Motorola cell phones, and use the mini-USB port for charging and sync?  They have to have the port anyway... and in that way, any compatible USB port (i.e. powered) could charge the device, too.   I understand the Kindle 2 will have it this way.

Next quirk:  battery.  As long as I'm just reading, I can go 2 weeks or so before needing a charge.  If I shop/browse the bookstore very much at all, I need to charge every couple of days, not unlike a high-tech cell phone (like iPhone or similar).  But, the kindle itself is large enough, they could have put in two battery bays-- the added weight would be negligible, and the 2nd battery could be optional.  

Next quirk:  the user ought to be able to re-define the main keys; that is, those keys that surround the main screen ought to be user-selectable, instead of locked-in.   That way, whatever quirky way a user elects to hold and read, she/he could program the "next page" button to be next to, or just underneath the fingers/thumb.   AND, I would have a pressure-adjustment feature on these buttons, too, from super-sensitive to having-to-press-pretty-hard.  That would be simple, if the switches were replaced with pressure sensors....  you could even provide audible or visible "click" as needed (or not--again user programmable).

Lastly, I would add an external "next/previous" page option.  That is-- connecting an external trigger to a port would let someone use this thing, who cannot move their fingers, but could move their head or eyes or even say a trigger word.  The possibilities would be endless....  I suppose, this could easily be hacked by someone with expertise, but you'd void the warranty.... then again, if the person benefiting was in such a situation?  I would go ahead, myself.  Carefully, of course...

On re-reading this--Edit:  "quirk" and "quirky".  Obviously, my word of the day....
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Update:

I finally cured the original cover with white velcro tape.  I used some acetone on the back of the kindle itself, to be sure it was extremely clean, and to tack-up the plastic.   Stuck the "smooth" strip.  Then, when I applied the "sticky" strip with the idea to locate the position on the cover, I discovered I needed to move it a bit towards the other side, but it was stuck fast.... so I added a 2nd strip beside the first (after acetone again).   Too wide is better than ruining and wasting the first strip I reasoned....

Then, I could locate where I wanted the sticky part on the cover, and cleaned that with acetone.  It covered in microfiber simu-suede, but I cleaned it anyway.

I knew from past experience the velcro wouldn't stick to that without help, so I masked off the area with blue masking tape.  Then I carefully applied a thin layer of polyurethane glue (gorilla glue) and worked it deeply into the cloth with a small flat blade.  Next, I peeled the protective film and applied the sticky velcro strip, and smoothed it with a spatula.  Next, I covered it with more blue tape to hold it in place, and clamped gently for 1 hour.

After curing out, I cleaned up the excess glue (it foams as it sets) and the blue masking tape helped this process.

Finally, I tested the whole, and it holds the kindle very securely.  I thought I might need a 2nd piece in the lower-right corner (this one was along the left edge on the back) but it's going to hold well enough, I think.  But it's springy enough that I can still easily get to the switches on the back.

Griffin NoName

Your feedback on Kindle 1 is really good to know. I'm going to watch out for Kindle 2 - I wonder how to find out exactly what issues it addresses - be nice if they issued a "bug Fix" list not for the s/w but for the usage features like you've described.

I wonder if you could sell your Velcro solution consisting of the velcro cut to size and an A4 sheet with a diagram. I know the market would be miniscule, but the pleasure I get from discovering these solutions are available is always enormous. You could make a few people very happy !

I discovered the Velcro website when desperate for a remedy for some odd thing I was "fixing" and was beguiled by Velcros I never knew existed. It's a wonderful world out there.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

I'm getting some techno-lust from the new iRex digital readers:
http://www.irextechnologies.com/

Being able to scribble notes on pre-loaded forms would be GREAT for field work (provided a waterproof, operates-to-30-below version was made available). Even limited to summer conditions, this would be a huge plus for site inspections, which require juggling masses of paper.

I might consider something like this for taking notes at school next year, actually - would beat lugging binders around. Then again, my WPM is probably much better with a keyboard than a stylus these days (legibility certainly is) and I'd like to play the market in class :mrgreen: so a netbook or laptop might be better.

Seriously, though - good writable e-readers may make tablet computers obsolete before they catch hold.

Caught a serious case of techno-lust (sort of) last week and picked up this little beauty this week (demo model at 55% of retail price!):

I'm obsessed with charcoal (various uses, not just cooking) - call me a charpunk if you will. ;)
WWDDD?

Quote from: Agujjim on September 24, 2009, 01:13:56 AM
I'm getting some techno-lust from the new iRex digital readers:
http://www.irextechnologies.com/

Being able to scribble notes on pre-loaded forms would be GREAT for field work (provided a waterproof, operates-to-30-below version was made available). Even limited to summer conditions, this would be a huge plus for site inspections, which require juggling masses of paper.

I might consider something like this for taking notes at school next year, actually - would beat lugging binders around. Then again, my WPM is probably much better with a keyboard than a stylus these days (legibility certainly is) and I'd like to play the market in class :mrgreen: so a netbook or laptop might be better.

Seriously, though - good writable e-readers may make tablet computers obsolete before they catch hold.

Ya had me going, there.....e-paper display (excellent readability), etc.  Then I dug and found out how much.... *whew*.  $860US is a bit steep for my budget.  I thought the Kindle was too high.

:)

But, I agree- the ability to write directly into forms would be too cool.

Aggie

Well, it's a new product - the last (and I do mean last) time I bought cutting-edge technology was my Diamond Rio, and I haven't bought a mp3 player since (because they might come down in price ::)).  So I might give it a look when it's sub-$200 - perhaps when I'm finishing my doctorate?  ;D
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The new Sony one allows notes and have a touchscreen.

Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on September 24, 2009, 05:11:44 PM
The new Sony one allows notes and have a touchscreen.

Yes, but no cellular network delivery of books-- you *have* to install Sony's proprietary software (contaminating your computer*) to get books onto it, as far as I can find out.

Still, as a backup to my Kindle, it might be a way to go....it does support PDF format directly (so you could have pre-made forms to fill out, etc.)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The Sony one also supports PDF and other formats. To this day I haven't bought a book using their store, so it isn't a problem, at least to me.

The open connection from the Kindle is a double edge sword. Having a backdoor that enables Amazon to delete books on your device at [their] will isn't a feature I feel remotely comfortable with.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on September 24, 2009, 07:46:43 PM
The Sony one also supports PDF and other formats. To this day I haven't bought a book using their store, so it isn't a problem, at least to me.

The open connection from the Kindle is a double edge sword. Having a backdoor that enables Amazon to delete books on your device at [their] will isn't a feature I feel remotely comfortable with.

Doesn't bother me (the backdoor).  The only time Amazon has used it, they refunded everyone's fees, so that doesn't really bother me.  I'd rather see the publishers' happy, and continued support of E-books.

The Meromorph

My beloved bought me a Kindle for christmas, and I've been immersed in it since then.
It's a KIndle 2 (the 6" global wireless version), and the interface is substantially improved. It appears that Amazon is seriously listening to their customers' comments, and that interface design is well driven by customer feedback. One reason I hd a KIndle on my wish list is that I have great faith in Amazon's customer relations. (hHey have publicly apologized for their notorious 'clawback' incident and promised to handle it differently in future (with explicit promises of more respect for their customers, and an affirmation of great efforts to avoidsuch a situation again.).
I was also sent an Amazon Gift card for $30 from my beloved's sister, specifically to purchase Kindle Books. Withiin 3 minutes aof logging on to Amazon.com, I had entered the Gift Card and purchased 7 much desired books - Nation, Unseen Academicals, The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, Only you can save Mankind, Johnny and the Dead, and two books from a newly discovered Author - Nicola Griffith). I had to pay an additional 63 cents...  :) They were on my Kindle by the time I returned to my couch!  ;D

The Kindle does not intrude as a 'device' between me and the book, but does require some 'retraining' of unconscious habits. It took a couple of days before I stopped reaching a finger up to the top right hand corner to turn a page.  ::), the page turning buttons are sensibly placed and configured, but it will take me a couple more weeks before they become reliably unconscious. The new style of cover is easy and secure to attach and detach (no mods required).
The 'enhanced reading' features are extremely useful - the integrated dictionary in particular (who knew what a 'lambrequin' is?), but will require some time to become an 'automatic' resource.  I won't go into detail on the redesigned interface, but the scroll function is vastly improved, and the little 'joystick' is a great improvement on the previous scroll wheel. I don't think I want a touch screen feature - sticky fingermarks on the reading panel?

Prices seem reasonable - roughly $10 - $15 for those still in hardback, and $4 -$8 for those in paperback, and there is the 'free sample chapter feature' for evaluating new-to-me authors, a large store of free books from Amazon (sort by price - lowest to highest in the KIndle store and browse...), several external sources for free and cheap books (Feedbooks.com can even send them wirelessly to the Kindle) to download via your PC, and CD's of book collections available cheaply on CD. I have the complete works of Dicken, Shakespear, Scott, Thackeray, the Brontes, Jack London, Mark Twain, Wilde etc. off one CD for less than $4. The KIndle now does PDF's in native format... I only wish I could magic my dead tree books onto my Kindle... And it all fits in a jacket pocket.

I completely recommend Kindle, siblings. I am now inseparable from mine.

Dances with Motorcycles.

Happy to see you enjoying your K2, Mero.  :)

I've had an opportunity to play with a K2, and I'm not as impressed as others.  Sure, there's a few (to me) minor improvements, but I'm used to the K1's way of doing, and I would not like to give up my infinite storage SD card slot-- I have tons of reference books on my 4gig I'd hate to give up.   :D :P

I can highly recommend several collections from "MobileReference".  I happily paid $5US for the complete Mark Twain, for example.  I've had complete Twain's in the past for less, but they were literally horrible-- zero indexing, zero way to navigate aside from randomly paging.  Contrast with the MobileReference's copy, which has nice clickable table of contents at the beginning, and at the start of each novel, series, etc.  More than worth the $5.

I'm with you, Mero, on the finger-smudged touch screen-- I'd hate that.  And?  I've found that my cold, dry skin too often fails to register on these new "capacitive" screens like on my G1, and I have to lick my damn finger to make the stupid thing respond.  Thank the stars my G1 has a trackball alternative...

---------------

In a final note?  I can highly recommend Unseen Academicals and Wintersmith, both by Pratchett, both read in the last month by me.

Of course, for Wintersmith, I had to re-read A Hat full of Sky and The Wee Free Men.  Tiffany Aching is one amazing witch: Granny Weatherwax is proud.

:)

Update/News.

Amazon's finally released a Kindle 3, with WiFi only (no cellular-- re-reading my initial post, it's amazing how I've changed my mind about instant access to new books in the past 2 years).

The US price is $139, and that was cheap enough, I bought one.  It came today.

The keyboard is a reduced set, so entering number is problematic, but possible.  It was a bit fussy at connecting to my secure WiFi, but a reboot (of the kindle) solved that, finally.

It's thinner and much, much lighter than my 1.

It reboots roughly 1000% faster-- all but instant-on, from dead-stop.  Contrast, the 1 took over a minute. 

Page turns seem to be instant, again a sharp contrast to my 1.

There is more control over the font/display, than on the 1, I can choose from a selection of fonts, the size, the spacing, the line-spacing, etc.  Naturally, having excellent vision, I chose the next-to-smallest size, and the closest line-space as I could.  This gets me more/page, making the reading a teensy bit smoother.  Well, we'll see if I like it.

Currently, I'm downloading all my books-- once I got past a bit of frustration connecting the WiFi, it automagically registered itself to me, and downloaded the last couple of books I'd been reading, and a couple of Amazon's message-documents.

Alas, unlike the 1's superior content manager, I must painstakingly click each and every book on my Amazon Archive, and manually tell it to download-- a minimum of 5-6 clicks per book. But I can stack several in the que, and I'm getting adept at the sequence of buttons, so I stack up 10 or so, then lay it down for a bit, whilst it does it's thing.  (Due to financial things, I've had to throttle my internet hook to a cheaper, slower connection.... alas.)

Once that's complete, I'll hook it to my PC, and copy through the USB cable, all my non-Amazon books (couple-hundred).

All in all, I'm pleased with this thing-- now I must go out and find some sort of case/cover... or I could just order one.

---------------

In a side-note, I'd like to point out a piece of software [calibre - E-book management] that I've found indespensable for all my non-Amazon content; it lets me adjust/edit the tags and such, so that these books sort properly on my Kindle.  It's a bit over-the-top (too Nanny-automatic for my taste) but it does work well at editing the tags, which I've done.  It also makes getting the cover-art a snap, if you have the ISBN of your book-- usually available on page 2 or 3 of the Ebook.  And, it lets you use the Kindle-for-PC to view each book as you edit-- but you must open/view each book before trying to edit the tags.  Having the book open to it's copyright page, makes putting in the proper tags a snap.  If you put in the ISBN number, the program will fetch the cover art for you, if you like.  I suppose it'd fetch other info, but I never tried that... manual entry is something I'm so used to doing, and being a fast typist, it was not bothersome [to me] to key in the missing info.  It's freeware, link: http://calibre-ebook.com/

Recommended.