News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Drop Down User Name Lists

Started by Griffin NoName, May 12, 2008, 06:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Scenario:
FOR THE UNTECHNICALLY CHALLENGED ONLY

Enter User Name : ________________________

Enter Password   : ________________________

ie. a Login Screen.

Double-clicking in the user name box, or starting to enter letters (autofill), causes a list of usernames one has used before to appear which can then be selected.

Often the usernames listed will include ones NOT and NEVER used for the particular application as well as ones that have been.

I appear to have three "SETS" of username-lists, containing some over-lapping and some different names.

======================================================

Problem
-----------

I started using Facebook with a new username that had not existed anywhere before.

I assumed this new name would be added automatically into the particular "SET" that appears when I double-click or start typing the first letter.

It hasn't been.

It's a total pain as it is a long one and I am fed up with typing it.

At first I thought I could manually add it using Google Toolbars settings autofill option. I can't.

So...............

questions     (windows XP, Internet Explorer 7)
-------------

1. How to add it to the "SET"

2. How can one categorise the different "SETS" - ie. what's the "SET" making methodology

3. Why does Beagle's real name (entire first name last name) appear in one of my "SETS"?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Ummmerm.... switch to Firefox?

*hurriedly ducks the inevitable and well-deserved thrown brick....
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on May 12, 2008, 07:58:38 PM
Ummmerm.... switch to Firefox?

*hurriedly ducks the inevitable and well-deserved thrown brick....

:offtopic:
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

Unless they've fixed it I think Google's autofill supplants rather than augments IE's own autocompletion. I don't use the Google toolbar stuff so am not much help.

Things that could break autocompletion included clearing out your internet temporary directory too often (e.g. keep history 0 days or a zealous anti-virus suite). Maybe the Google version is similar.

Quote from: Griffin
3. Why does Beagle's real name (entire first name last name) appear in one of my "SETS"?

You've been trying to get in my Swiss bank account again? You're wasting your time; there's only a broken cuckoo clock and half a bar of Toblerone there.
Also it's in the name Johann Schmidt anyway.
The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

Quote from: beagle on May 12, 2008, 09:51:12 PM
Unless they've fixed it I think Google's autofill supplants rather than augments IE's own autocompletion. I don't use the Google toolbar stuff so am not much help.

Things that could break autocompletion included clearing out your internet temporary directory too often (e.g. keep history 0 days or a zealous anti-virus suite). Maybe the Google version is similar.

No. Google's autofill seems to be a different thing to IE's autocomplete entirely. It simply stores one set of personal details for web forms - one name, address, phone no. - NOT a list of usernames, nor list of anythings. At least the part that one can fiddle with. That's why I said I couldn't fix it with the Google autofill.

I only mentioned autocomplete/autofill as descriptive of HOW one gets the list to appear on screen at all. Unless one starts typing (or double clicks) no list is visible.

The username not being in the list when it does appear is The Problem - ie. how to get the username into the list - so that I can select it from the list.

I am guessing it's a registry hack as there are several haphazzard lists.

Quote from: Griffin
Quote from: Beagle
You've been trying to get in my Swiss bank account again? You're wasting your time; there's only a broken cuckoo clock and half a bar of Toblerone there.
Also it's in the name Johann Schmidt anyway.

I was thinking more along the lines that you'd broken into my home, cracked all my security shields, and logged onto the Monastery posing as.............yourself.

Or, possibly Goat did.

Either that, or you have remote control of my machine.

;D
Psychic Hotline Host

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Okay, seriously.

You'll need to identify which "engine" is being used for the login in question, if it be Google toolbar or IE's native code.

Once so identified, you can proceed-- until/unless you separate that, you'll likely be "fixing" the wrong thing.

From what you posted, I'm guessing it's IE directly, not Google's as you seem to say that you could edit the google stuff yourself.

Let's assume it's IE. 

The key is to locate exactly where IE stores it's stuff.  One could spend days searching the various arcane wevals and boils, and I think that it's stored along side the other temporary internet files.

However-- who wants to do that?

Here's a tool that lets you actually MANAGE those IE lists: http://www.superlogix.net/iepassword.htm

I'm certain there are others-- this is just the first I came across with Google.

Here's another: http://www.roboform.com/

Heres a list of programs: http://www.brothersoft.com/downloads/ie-password-manager.html

Bottom line:  with microsuck, there is almost ALWAYS a 3rd party solution to nearly ANY problem.

It's as if microsuck DELIBERATELY creates software that has issues, to create opportunities for these clever 3rd party geeks.... ::)  ;D

Hint:  I used the following google search:

manage IE password lists
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Thanks BobQFish

I've been using various words and phrases to search on. Mostly not repeatable.

It actually stores username lists at a different point in the process to passwords - they are separate functions - thank the daddy in the sky. I would never ever store a password.

I've been investigating Google further AND the IE Remember Me.

There's a nice bug. Not to do with My Problem. Just another one I have Found Grrrr.

This bug is, if the First time ever you enter your username and tick Remember Me, it does.

If you then make it forget you (don't ask (!!) ), the Remember Me box stays ticked for ever and you can never get it to remember you again.

:ROFL:   

I do not understand what it is about me that makes me discover bugs that not only are of no interest to anyone, but are nearly always results of doing fairly obscure things which seem imperative to me at the time. All I can say is I used, in one of my early jobs, to get paid for it and now I don't. <sigh>

Found another bug too. Google Autofill doesn't autofill. At least not on my setup. Can't fathom that one at all as no one else seems to have fallen over it and I'm sure it would be widely reported.

Anyways...........  working on the assumption that usernames while stored at a separate time via a different function to passwords, but if one saves a password it is stored with the username in the same "list" - I'll check out those bits of s/w you found.

Incidentally some usernames are stored as cookies............. LOL!!
Psychic Hotline Host