News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Easy Questions?

Started by Swatopluk, November 15, 2006, 03:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

An interesting geometric question indeed. What if the container is cylindrical and the spherical air bubble reaches a diameter approaching that of the cylinder? Will the water recede from that part of the walls or will the air bubble elongate to avoid that? At what point?

Here we have an answer to the case of the free floating spherical liquid into which air is injected.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXsvy2tBJlU
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

What time is it?

A deceptively simple question which is actually hard to answer, if in fact it can be answered at all.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

It's always Now.

(that's the canonical answer)

Aphos

And it's right before the future.
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Now never is now, there is a delay between perception and reality so we always perceive things [not so] few milliseconds too late.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

That does not change anything except for extreme Berkeleyans (esse EST percepi)

Griffin NoName

When I discussed this with my seven year old grandson he decided his time is a milliisecond behind his father's. (we all have our own time). I think mine is probably a macroyear ahead of myself as it is going so fast it is only a second since it was this time last week.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Why do some people (including myself) get an instant short attack of toothache when biting into something covered with honey or icing (or nutella) even when nothing is wrong with their teeth?
(no such reaction when eating e.g. a spoonful of sugar).

Griffin NoName

A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down (Mary Poppins).

Maybe it is the Overload Principle whereby teeth (enamel) become porus when anticipation is greatest.
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

May be a temperature differential, I had similar events myself and they also surprise me.

Perhaps you should use an enamel-repairing toothpaste?

Swatopluk

Nothing to do with temperature or the state of the teeth. It seems to be a question of sweet in a certain semi-solid (pasty) form. The same concentration of sweet in a different form has no effect at all. From what I know it seems to be a trait of the individual, i.e. some have it, others not (again, it does not matter, whether their teeth are in good shape or not).

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

It happens to me with Milky Way's chocolate bars, but not always. I have the feeling that it happens when my teeth aren't in the best shape, but I wouldn't be able to tell for sure.

Aggie

I get that a bit... perhaps it's that those type of sweets are sticky and cling to the enamel, giving a dilution-resistant shot of sweet?
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Ok, not really an easy question although being these the frequently used thread I'll write it here.

I was having a conversation with some friends about vinyl vs CDs and the quality of each, and eventually got me thinking on the potential of the vinyl to store information in grooves which has to be limited by the molecular density of the material. In a straight line of one (1) cm how many vinyl molelcules will I find? Is it close to consider each molecule as a point/bit. or the distribution of the material would make it impossible to reach that 1:1 ratio?

Note that I'm not talking about the transfer of information in a vinyl track, which also begs the question if that takes advantage of all the potential in the material?

Aggie

Trick question... it's a polymer, so I'm not sure what resolution you could get out of it. It's probably able to resolve to a monomer-sized unit, I suppose.

You'd need a very fine needle, and even a tiny speck of dust might be enough to throw it off in that case. 

I had wondered why laser turntables were not a going concern, and that's the reason.  You can read a vinyl record with a laser, but if it's not absolutely clean it gains noise from bits of debris and dust that a needle would sweep aside.
WWDDD?