News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Brit TV tonight - "After Rome: Holy War and Conquest"

Started by beagle, November 29, 2008, 06:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beagle

BBC2 20:05 BoJo* presents "After Rome: Holy War and Conquest"

Part 1 of 2 part series covering the "simmering mutual antipathy" between Jews/Muslims/Christians since the collapse of Rome. Looks sort of interesting from the blurb.

* Official Tory approved abbreviation for Boris Johnson, who presented this before taking over the running of that city down south somewhere.
The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

Quote from: beagle on November 29, 2008, 06:45:44 PM
* Official Tory approved abbreviation for Boris Johnson, who presented this before taking over the running of that city down south somewhere.

Do so hope the change of job means his TV career is unaffected.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

What did you reckon? I thought it was the least dumbed down, most informative program I've seen for ages. Loved the Stevie Wonder/McCartney quip. Must remember to watch part 2.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Griffin NoName on November 29, 2008, 07:13:21 PM
Do so hope the change of job means his TV career is unaffected.

Confirm - TV career success. I liked the bit about Phil the Arab. Made a fresh change from Phil the Greek.

Yes, glad I caught it. Full of great one-liners too. Credits said he wrote it himself.

Can't wait for second part to hear how it all ends.  :irony:  ;) ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

Quote from: Griffin NoName on December 02, 2008, 12:30:00 AM
Can't wait for second part to hear how it all ends.  :irony:  ;) ;)

I think there'll be a surprise twist. Perhaps it will turn out the Moors weren't from Yorkshire after all.

Credits said he wrote it himself.

Yep, it had Boris stamped all over it. He does masterly erudition combined with street wit like no one else.

beagle

Boris Part II tonight (and Al Pacino in the Merchant of Venice also on two later).

Griffin NoName

Couldn't face Boris and the Bard. Chose Boris.

Actually, heard some snatches of the Shakespeare while doing other stuff, and it sounded quite a boring production. Was it?

Didn't think the second part was as good as the first. The constant leaping being in later centuries and leaping back to earlier ones got a bit tedious. But interesting stuff again.

His final pronouncements led me to wonder if this was his bid for being our next PM ;)  - but then I read the papers today and saw he hs probably managed to rule himself out for that, and maybe much else.

We live in interesting times.
Psychic Hotline Host

beagle

Haven't watched the Merchant yet. Still liked Boris though, especially the "Minaret with Bells on" bit. Had no idea that was where that expression came from.