News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Atheists adverts?

Started by beagle, October 21, 2008, 07:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beagle

The angels have the phone box

Opsa

This is not going to "help people think". It will just help bombard people with more carp.

Isn't bus riding hell enough as it is?

beagle

Not sure I agree. If the religious really are threatening eternal damnation (and if they are, it hasn't reached Cambridge Park & Ride yet, or more likely they've written the city off), then they fired the first shots and deserve to be challenged, IMHO.

Opsa

Oh, I agree, that they were obnoxious to do it in the first place, but how is lobbing more carp going to help matters?

beagle

Because if there are vulnerable people on the bus who can't or won't confirm to church norms they won't feel alone.

No one else (with the possible exception of the TV Licensing authority) would get away with threats and intimidation in adverts. Why should the church?

Opsa

I don't think the church should have gotten away with it in the first place. Maybe the atheistic shoot-backs will help put the matter to bed once and for all. But what about us innocent non-Christian non-Atheists who are in the cross-fire?

Dunno Beag, maybe I'm just sick of all the presidential campaign ads.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Mmm... how would be a smear add against Cardinal Ratzinger? :devil2:
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Opsa, I like it. Fundamentally (sic), liking it may be a bit British rather than cross-fires or presidental etc. We don't really go in for particularly loud advertising. Our buses are a central and accepted method of getting our messages across now we don't have a whole industry of sandwich boards. I have to say, it still deeply shocks me to see ads on taxis, but buses no, that's fine. It's also a bit like Speakers Corner. No one really minds what the hell they are saying even if they can understand it. I also think it is probably important that we got our major religious battles out the way by setting fire to, and beheading people, a long time ago, after which it all got rather tame. Not being CoE I maybe shouldn't pronounce on it, but it has always seemed to me a sort of status quo thing more than a religion <<<G-d forgive me! >>. As my sister, a Jew, said when marrying a Roman Catholic, that's ok, we'll just be CoE.

In any case, as a driver, I shall probably continue to focus on the signs on the bus that indicate I am being caught on CCTV as I drive along behind them ;)  Much more relevant than being judged by the Lord. ;)

I think it is SPLENDID. More like this please !

Fundraising target was £5,500.00 and donations only began today. The target was reached by 10:06 am. It now stands at   £ 47,955.00  plus another £11,513.49 in Gift Aid (a UK charitable Tax back scheme) still less than 24 hours after fundraising started. There are already 33 pages of donators names. And lot's of great comments.

And all that without Geldoff having to stage a single bit of music or comedy, or anyone having to approach any aluminium-rich Russians ;)

Not bad for a country in recession ?

EDIT: re the fundraising organisation - quite surprised to see all three of the breast cancer charities I am involved with actually members. Bit miffed by vat and 5% charge taken out if not Gift Aided. And what exactly has FaceBook to do with it?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

If they tried that over here, in LaLa land, the buses in question would likely be burned to the ground....
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on October 22, 2008, 05:20:43 AM
If they tried that over here, in LaLa land, the buses in question would likely be burned to the ground....
No kidding.

Being an atheist in a fundie area has given me a deep loathing for all forms of proselytism. That's what that is. I want to punch anyone that tries to convert me to anything.
That said, I totally agree with Dawkins and would probably smirk if I saw that on a bus.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Scriblerus the Philosophe on October 22, 2008, 06:33:50 AM
Being an atheist in a fundie area has given me a deep loathing for all forms of proselytism. That's what that is. I want to punch anyone that tries to convert me to anything.

Quote from: Dawkins
This campaign to put alternative slogans on London buses will make people think - and thinking is anathema to religion.

Is thinking an alternate religion?

Can one be converted to thinking? 

Does this overlap with my thread on Chaos in Human Concerns?

For me, personally, I'm not that sold on making people think by slogans. I don't see it as likely to be effective for most people at the deepest level where change is needed. But then I trained as a therapist and what a waste if a bus can do the same thing. ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

Liked the "Bet you won't try this in Riyadh comment"...

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Griffin NoName on October 22, 2008, 07:30:47 AM
Quote from: Dawkins
This campaign to put alternative slogans on London buses will make people think - and thinking is anathema to religion.

Is thinking an alternate religion?

Can one be converted to thinking?
To be fair you could say that religion properly understood encourages thinking, and that thinking is anathema to fundamentalist religion.

Nevertheless I agree that if you can make religious damning statements in public buses, you can make atheist statements too, and I for one find it refreshing.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Opsa

How is Atheistic proselytism any better than Fundie proselytism, especially if you believe that all proselytism sux?

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Quote from: Opsanus tau on October 22, 2008, 04:41:06 PM
How is Atheistic proselytism any better than Fundie proselytism, especially if you believe that all proselytism sux?
It's not any better. Less annoying, perhaps, but no better.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay