News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Telectroscope completed.

Started by beagle, May 23, 2008, 07:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beagle

The angels have the phone box

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

My dear Beagle, can I ask you something? Which tunnel do you like better, the Eurotunnel or this Telectroscope?  ;)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

beagle

Hmm. The telectroscope or the rabies tube. Difficult one...

Actually when the Channel tunnel was being built I worked for a company that did multi-national partnership work with a consortium of French/German/Italian companies.  The standing joke at the time was that it was a good idea as long as the other end came up in Germany or Italy.

P.S. The Eurocrats want to rename the land in the region on both sides of the Channel the "Manche" region. For some reason they have a problem with "English Channel"  ;D
The angels have the phone box

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Aggie

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on May 23, 2008, 06:14:09 PMThis just goes to show that the only thing crazier than politicians is....

....performance "artists".  :mrgreen:

Imagine the kind of performances you could stage on either end of the scope, to shock the opposite end....

Neat idea, this.  It'd be cool to set it up (with sound) in multiple major cities, perhaps with flat screens in a polygon layout, so one could just walk up and talk with whoever is on the opposite end.  Great way to meet up with 'net friends in real time, too.

WWDDD?

Darlica

The guys who did this also took this beauty for a walk on the streets of London...

Yes, it is real, it is 42 tons of walking mechanical elephant!

I would have loved to see this!
My inner steampunk mad girl gets itchy fingers! :love:

:hmmm: Where's my tool box! ;D 
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Quote from: Darlica on May 23, 2008, 11:11:03 PM
My inner steampunk mad girl gets itchy fingers! :love:

:hmmm: Where's my tool box! ;D 

Girl Genius fan?  ;D

Darlica

Fan is such a stupid word, but yes, I like Agatha and her world. ;D I have a really weak spot for the dingbots and clanks.
I'm also a role-playing gamer, who likes games like A|STATE and Unknown Armies and have had a fascination for automata since my early 20's.

Things like this makes me drool.

the link to the blog
http://house-made.com/?cat=8

That is beautiful!  Figuratively and literally.

I would love to type on that keyboard....I wonder how much travel the keys have?  Is it realistic for manual-action keys?  Or do they go down a fraction of an inch, as in "post-modern" "super-stylish; style BEFORE function" keyboards you sometimes see floating around..... hate those, myself.

The monitor is beautiful, too-- but to be real steampunk, it ought to have a more rounded shape-- but that's just me.  Oh, and a provision for steam somewhere or other, obviously.   ;D

Just imagine that....a PC powered by a tiny steam generator.  It would be quite feasible, really.   Steam turbines are quite easy.  Small generators are, too.  The limiting factor, would be that most generators like a fairly low RPM, but steam turbines really get efficient in 10,000 RPM and much higher.  So, in an odd turn-about (mechanically) you'd need reduction gearing from the turbine to the generator-- or better, a series of leather belts, all exposed.  Make the pulleys open-style, with nice filigrees and such.  So, you loose some efficiency-- if you're burning waste-cane from your sugar-cane garden (to make ethanol, what else?) who cares?

But, "booting" your PC would require waiting for the boiler to get up a nice head of steam..... too cool. 

Or, would that be:  'that's hot'?  :ROFL:

Darlica

I don't want to steal more bandwidth but check this one out! 

http://ratevin.com/story.php?title=Steampunk_PC

:love: