News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Seventies' cooking - a game of horrific cuisine

Started by Lindorm, August 16, 2009, 09:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

Not when you're expecting canned Vienna sausages!

:inquisition:

beagle

The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

Seriously, grasshoppers are a delicacy in some country which I've forgotten.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

A number of countries, I suspect (especially if you include locusts).

At least the protein in a grasshopper is identifiable.   I've never eaten a Vienna sausage, but I suspect it's not.

*checks wiki*

OK, I've eaten fresh european-style Vienna sausages (which here is a 'European wiener'), but not the tinned North American version. 
WWDDD?

Darlica

It seems like our little game belong at the Swedish and perhaps Scandinavian market... ;D
Other place we have an Italian friend who reacted with a "WTF trend food in the 70's?"

Somewhat :offtopic:
I think swedes have a strong tendency to pick up other countries food, music and cultural expressions in general. Perhaps because we don't seem to be that proud of all things Swedish (I can't say I think that's a bad thing though).
The countries/regions that have influenced the Swedish culture including the food of cause has changed in waves, A rough time line; when Christianity was introduced our scholars started speaking Latin, after the reformation Germany and all things German became important, in the 16th century it swayed towards France and Latin again strengthen it's position as educational language, in the beginning of the 17th century we even imported our royal family from there... When the industrialisation started Sweden turned towards central Europe and Germany again and did so more or less until mid WWII.
After that UK and USA became our cultural beacon. As the world grows smaller and people travel or comes here as refuges we get new cultural influxes now days they mainly stay at the level of food and home decorations though. American culture are still in the high seat... 

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Darlica on August 26, 2009, 06:16:07 PM
Perhaps because we don't seem to be that proud of all things Swedish (I can't say I think that's a bad thing though).
I don't know about that, from this side of the pond you swedes seem far more civilized than the anglosaxons on a number of issues.

And I do like those IKEA stores... ;).
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

pieces o nine

This thread made me smile and I've been casting about, trying to re-locate a website with a bounteous treasure trove of truly hideous vintage cookbooks, food advertisements, etc. Naturally, the site I remember is heavy  (get it? heavy? ha-ha-ha)  on the cholesterol-festooned horrors foisted upon the US public by PR firms which no longer had actual snake oil to peddle.

I still haven't located it, but this is a close second. (There are vintage cooking blips in each issue -- pick an issue from the current month calendar or something from the archives, then click on the Food category; all options in the panels on the right.)

Meanwhile, I've tried all my adult life to repress memories of:  Cherry Jello With Fruit Cocktail Dessert/Salad Served With Dream Whip,  Orange Jello With Grated Carrots Dessert/Salad,  Lemon Jello With Pineapple Rings And Maraschino Cherries Dessert/Salad,  Lime Jello With Seven-Up And Cottage Cheese Dessert/Salad,  Grape Jello With Pears And/Or Mandarin Orange Slices Dessert/Salad...

* pieces shudders and crawls away to a dark corner *   :brainbleech:
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Darlica

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Opsa

Actually, the grasshopper was probably more appetizing  than the Vienna sausages. But he looked so glum there, all dead and covered with goo, and lying across the weird, pink little sausages, all stacked in a honeycomb pattern.

We had a lot of strange "health food" in the seventies, too. It was a reaction to all the nasty fatty things available. One thing I've never understood was "vegeburger". Especially when my vegetarian grandparents molded it into a turkey shape one Thanksgiving and served it stuck with feathers! Now, what was the point of that?! (They were marvelously strange people, though.)