News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

FPS Galore

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), September 19, 2008, 03:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Oki, I'm a First Person Shooter (FPS) junkie. I love first person games because I feel that I'm immersed in a different place that I can explore away from my daily routine (I played this kind of games since the original Doom Shareware back in the XX century so ;)).

Encouraged by our dearest sibling Darlica, I thought it would be a nice idea to have a thread for those of us who like this kind of games.

For a current recommendation I would suggest Bioshock for those who haven't tried it yet. You can play it on a console (Xbox 360 and soon in the PS3) or in a PC (which ideally should have a decent processor and video card). The story is influenced in part by Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged (although I doubt the take from the authors of the game is the same) with a few interesting twists.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Pachyderm

America's Army.

Yes, I know it's an out and out (and admitted) recruiting tool, the "Good" guys are always the US and the "Bad" the Russians or Arabs, but it's still a great game.

Got to do the training, pass the medic questions to be a medic etc. Fantastic.

Vietcong/Fist Alpha

Also excellent.

Medal of Honor.

What to say? Loved them, except the stupid "take over the flying" mission in Pacific.
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Aggie

:tjack:  :mua:

FPS?  Give me a good ol' 8 to 16-bit VSS (vertically scrolling shooter) or a few select HSSs any day. ;)

Top choices for the former are Gunhed / Blazing Lasers on the PC Engine / TurboGrafx-16 and the almost-unheardof-in-N.America Guardian Legend for the NES (half the gameplay is 3/4 overhead view - think Zelda I on a space station, but the character turns into a spaceship for alternate levels).

For the latter, Gunstar Heroes on the Genesis is pure sweetness.
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Oh the kids with this modern junk. At our times we played Space Invaders and many still clung to Pong. :mrgreen:
More a First or Third Person Adventure than a FPS person.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

In no particular order, FPS's I purchased and have played

Doom 2
Doom 3
Hexen
Hexen II
Heritic
Heritic II
Quake
Quake 2
Quake 3
Dark Forces
Dark Forces 2
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight 2
Jedi Academy
Elite Forces
Halo
Thief 2
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
F.E.A.R
F.E.A.R extraction point
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Undying
Unreal
Unreal 2

But the best for last:  Deus Ex and Deus Ex 2

I'm quite sure I missed one or three... and looking back, at $20-$30 a pop, that's quite a few games... (I never purchased the game first-release, but waited for the first price break)

Then, there is a slew of "semi-" first person:

Diablo
Hellfire
Diablo 2
Diablo 2: Lord of Darkness.
Throne of Darkness
Dungeon Siege
Dungeon Siege 2

Yeah, I play a lot of computer games.... but none of those MORP.   Quickly got tired of be shangheied by basement-dwelling morons who are clueless about what the word "loyalty" means... no thanks.

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Lately I played S.T.A.L.K.E.R and now playing it's prequel Clear Sky. Part FPS with RPG elements. Lot's of stuff to explore and side quests apart from the main ones. More RPG with FPS is Fallout 2 (with which my son is completely taken).

Now waiting for the next HALO game and saddened with the mayor delay on Bioshock 2.  :'(
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.