News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Most Astounding Fact (Neil DeGrasse Tyson)

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, March 05, 2012, 10:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on April 13, 2012, 05:48:32 PM
Quote from: Bluenose on April 13, 2012, 02:43:19 AM
I define atheism as simple not believing in any supernatural being until and unless there is some actual evidence for he/she/it.
The moment you bring evidence it stops being supernatural and becomes natural, the same way dark matter and dark energy are not considered supernatural, as although we don't know what they are we can infer their existence from consistent observations.

I quite agree.  That is one of the most powerful arguments against the very idea of the supernatural.  If something exists, it is by definition natural.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Swatopluk

Platon taught that ideas have an existence independent of the material world while he left the question open whether the same was true for gods. So if you had asked him 'human rights' would exist even without any humans being there to claim them.
Of course he was also a donkey cavity and would not have found it to be one of the better ideas. ;) He was more fond of duties.
Later he would be named an idealist as opposed to the nominalist/realist Aristotle (marginally less of an ungulate's rear entry).
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

So true, Zono.  So true--

-- so does that make those of us who demand natural explanations, naturalists then?

:D

I kinda like that myself: 

Stranger: "Are you an atheist or a believer?"

Me:  "Neither.  I'm a naturalist."

:D
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

pieces o nine

As long as yah ain't one a them naturists, son...      :giggle:
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677