News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Belief in Creationism: Canadians vs. Americans

Started by Aggie, March 24, 2011, 12:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

This explains a few things:

QuoteWhen asked if humans evolved through natural selection, 58 per cent of surveyed Canadians answered affirmatively compared to only 16 per cent of Americans.

When asked if humans evolved with help from divine guidance, 19 per cent of Canadians agreed compared to 38 per cent of Americans.

Finally, when asked if humans were created by God in the last 10,000 years, 14 per cent of Canadians agreed while 40 per cent of Americans said yes.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/americans-far-more-likely-canadians-believe-creationism-20110323-174823-536.html

Please do check out the charts for the EKOS poll referred to in the article - there's some interesting things in there:
http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/01256/Look_through_chart_1256611a.pdf
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

If Canada weren't so cold* I'd move there in an instant. You people are as reasonable as the stereotype. ;)

*my wife wouldn't move to a cold place
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Scriblerus the Philosophe

I love people so, so much. I have (and am wearing) a Viva la Evolucion shirt, which I catch a hilarious amount of crap for, so I'm not at all surprised by the numbers.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Griffin NoName

Wonder what the figures for the UK would be - significantly different I expect.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on March 24, 2011, 01:15:01 PM
If Canada weren't so cold* I'd move there in an instant. You people are as reasonable as the stereotype. ;)

*my wife wouldn't move to a cold place

We ain't all taddy - we've still got some real rednecks out here.  Urban populations tend to be a little more urbane.  I love some of the poll results regarding priorities for governance, which are definitely Canadian (the religious issues are basically non-issues).  Spending money on things that actually need money based on evidence is y'know, actually more important than cutting taxes; having a leader that is knowledgeable and understanding is 2.5x more important than (the show of) decency and morality...  crazy stuff!  Or perhaps we're cynical enough to know that the prospect of getting a decent, moral politician is nearly impossible. ;)
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

No place is perfect, but it seems some places are better than other in certain aspects. I'll keep the no snow zone, and you keep the reasonable...
;) :P :mrgreen:

Aggie

I will admit that there's 3 feet of snow on the ground where I'm at, and the wolves are down from the mountains because of the hard winter.

no gators, though

I'm moving back to a reasonable snow zone, to heck with these accursed flatlands.  3 months of proper winter is enough for me, and I miss the 40C summer weather.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I somehow suspect wolves are worse than gators, although I don't think they go into the cities, do they? (because gators do live in the canals...)

Opsa

Pretty wolf photo! (And I love that t-shirt, Scrib. I gave it to my sister's beau, who wears it with pride.)

Canandians are more cool than Americans for the most part, and not just because they have all that snow. I know a good number of people, including myself, who fantasize about moving there just because the general intellect and politics seem so much more reasonable than here in the States.

I recently read a review of Michael Palin's book Halfway to Hollywood where he describes us as "America — land of the free and the armed and the crazy". A bit generalized perhaps, but unfortunately not far enough from accurate to be comfortable.

Of course, there are crazy people and sane people everywhere. Just my luck- I'd move to Canada only to find the Canadian branch of the Ku Klux Klan living next door. I'd prefer wolves.

I think there is a difference between what's known as "Creationism" and people who just believe that God created the world without being obnoxious about it.

ivor

Creationism is a verified fact because Canadian's are spawn of Satan... :mrgreen:

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Hmph, well, Twain did say he'd prefer hell for the conversation... ;D

I think I've kind of fallen in love with us as the "land of the free and the armed and the crazy". It can be the only reason I've decided I love LA.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Lindorm

Quote from: Opsa on March 25, 2011, 05:51:17 PM

I think there is a difference between what's known as "Creationism" and people who just believe that God created the world without being obnoxious about it.

That quote pretty much sums up my feelings, too. Well put, Opsa!
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)