News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Do atheists know more about religion than believers?

Started by Swatopluk, September 29, 2010, 12:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

This study has some interesting results.
Atheists and agnostics would, it seems, have the upper hand in religion based quizzes, followed by Mormons and Jews.
Well, at least in the US.
http://pewforum.org/Other-Beliefs-and-Practices/U-S-Religious-Knowledge-Survey.aspx
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

It makes perfect sense, most people is brought up as a believer therefore an atheist/agnostic would have to do some soul searching and learn something in the process. My suspicion about Jewish scores is that that is an overwhelmingly educated population. As for the mormons... perhaps most of the interviewed were converts?
---
They have a 15 question quiz and I scored 14/15 (guess which question I missed).  8)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

I guess the one about Jonathan Edwards (which I would have failed had I not read about the study).
There are some questionable things though. I'd think Calvin is on at least equal footing with Luther. Also nirvana is in Hinduism too iirc.

Aggie

I remember a reference in some book (fiction) I read way back about the town atheist knowing the Bible better than the preacher did.  Agnostics and atheists have generally taken something of a look at the options before throwing their hands up, I suspect.

Would have scored 13 on the quiz if I'd gone in blind - total blank on #15 (other than reading Swato's post).  I may well have messed up on Mother Teresa if I hadn't read about the study, although I know she is on the path to sainthood with the Vatican so I suppose I might have reasoned it out. ;)

I screwed up on the Sabbath question, but that's because I trusted Fat Mike instead of my own recollection that it starts on Friday night:  ::)

QuoteFriday night we'll be drinking Manishevitz
Going out to terrorize Goyem
Stomping shagitz, screwing shicksas
As long as we're home by Saturday morning

Cause hey, we're the 'Brews
Sporting anti-swastika tattoos
Oi Oi we're the boys
Orthodox, hesidic, O.G. Ois

Agree with Swato on having Hinduism as an option on the nirvana question being a bit trickish, as it is part of the system, albeit not as prominent as in Buddhism.
WWDDD?

Darlica

14 of 15 but admit to guessing the answers to Q: 9, 10, 11, 15, guessing wrong on number 10.

That I had to guess about 10 and 11 isn't strange taken in consideration that I never been in contact with the American education system... I could however answer if it was the same question about Swedish public schools.
I'll happily admit that don't know much about Mormons either, I've had more close encounters with Witnesses than Mormons over the years...

And yes I do believe many people who label them self atheists are searchers more than anything, people who can't settle with "because" answers and therefore are religiously curious.

I had a long conversation with a Muslim colleague of mine some months ago at the beginning of Ramadan. It began with me noticing that he was fasting and said some thing like "right silly me, Ramadan started yesterday" we then talked about ramadan, Islam and Christianity for awhile and later on he asked me if I believed in God and I said "No". He asked me how come an atheist know so much about religion? I answered that I'm not an atheist I'm just not a believer and I tried to explain the difference from my POV.

I know I'll probably get a smack over the head from someone for this... But to me Atheism, can be as much of religion as any other path of faith. And there are even people bordering to extremism in their hate of religion.   ::)
To me there is an important difference between "There Is No God" and "I Do Not Believe In God" I'm not into trying to convince others, or telling them that they are wrong or right. The only one I can ever answer for is me and only me.

I however belong to the curious kind, I find religions and religious history fascinating, mostly the old pre Christian ones.
I have Gods and Goddesses I'm especially fond of, like Skade and Njord of the Scandinavinan mythology* and Ishtar of Syrian and Babylonian culture.

*I refuse call it Norse mythology because 1. Norway didn't existed at the time and neither did Sweden, 2. the same religion was present in what later became Sweden, Denmark and Germany as well.
:)
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Aggie

I borrowed a bit from the Canadian education system and my knowledge of the American insistence on separating Church and State for those questions (we don't recite daily prayers to the latter, however).  ;) 

In one (secular public school) social studies class we studied the lives of both Gandhi and Jesus and wrote papers on both; I borrowed very heavily from the Gospels for the latter.   I'm not sure how kosher it was to put Jesus into the curriculum (or the religious orientation of the teacher, for that matter), but it was not presented as a matter of faith in any respect.
WWDDD?

Opsa

I scored 80%. I missed Jonathan Edwards, Friday night sabbath (I said Saturday doggone it, I really flaked out there) and the one about the most popular Pakistani religion, which I assumed was Hindu. Still, not too bad, and apparently landing with only 7% of the general population scoring better.

I think that when people just accept the religion of their parents, they don't necessarily think about religion much, they just follow theirs.

Darlica wrote:
"I know I'll probably get a smack over the head from someone for this... But to me Atheism, can be as much of religion as any other path of faith. And there are even people bordering to extremism in their hate of religion. To me there is an important difference between "There Is No God" and "I Do Not Believe In God" I'm not into trying to convince others, or telling them that they are wrong or right. The only one I can ever answer for is me and only me."

I am with you there, Darlica. I also find it alarming when people of one religion call  one atheist because one doesn't follow their beliefs, as you mentioned with the Muslim, and also with that recent interview with the president of Iran. To me, that sort of talk smacks of intolerant propaganda. A lot of clashes could be peacefully avoided if we all understood that a thing can be seen from many different vantage points, and called by many different names in many different languages.

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Darlica

Quote from: Opsanus tau on September 29, 2010, 07:54:42 PM

I am with you there, Darlica. I also find it alarming when people of one religion call  one atheist because one doesn't follow their beliefs, as you mentioned with the Muslim, and also with that recent interview with the president of Iran. To me, that sort of talk smacks of intolerant propaganda. A lot of clashes could be peacefully avoided if we all understood that a thing can be seen from many different vantage points, and called by many different names in many different languages.

This was not quite the case with my colleague Z, he did not called me an atheist because I'm not a Muslim.
He just found just found it a bit weird that someone knew as much as I do about Christianity and differences and common bits between Christianity and Islam without being a religious scholar -which to him means that you are also a believer.
People that isn't very religious minded simply doesn't bother with theology in the cultural sphere he's from. I don't blame him for thinking that it's weird, so does most of my collogues of Swedish secularized decent too, the difference is, Z respect the fact that I have bothered to learn some about Islam even though I don't have too, most of my Swedish colleagues isn't interested at all and some even think I'm strange.

:offtopic:
I work in a rather tight-knit group of 16 people of which 7 or 8 are practising Muslims, no problems what so ever, at least not faith or culture based ones.
A fun moment from some weeks ago: I have lunch in the office kitchen with 3 colleges, M who's a vegetarian almost on the level of believer, R who is from Northern Afrika (not sure which country) and L who's an secularised Swedish omnivore like I am.
Lindorm had made me a delicious lunch, rice and a thick sauce/stew and now the three are sniffing and wondering if they maybe could have a taste.
Me: Well one of you can, you go figure out who...
M: why?
R: beacuse it's a dead animal in it, duh! Can't you smell it?
L: -and the dead animal is a pig! I win! ;D  (pushes his plate forward and  :P in the direction of the others).

:D

I think the reason R couldn't smell the pork was that it the main meat ingredient was beef, he is the better cook of the three of them and usually bring rather mouthwatering lunch boxes with him to work himself. A lot of lamb/mutton and lentils.
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Scriblerus the Philosophe

14/15. I'm an apatheist. I just don't care about the existence or lack there of higher powers. I'm interested in the details, the whys, and the history of religion, but ultimately whether or not there's a god or gods of some sort simply doesn't figure into anything I do.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Opsa

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

There are two versions of that quiz on-line.

I got 9 of 10 on the 10 question one (guessed on one, guessed wrong)

And I got 15 of 15 on the 15 question one (guessed right on one)

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Aggie

Quote from: Opsanus tau on September 30, 2010, 12:13:56 AM
Apatheist?! I like that. Did you make it up?

I know it dates back to TOP days at least, but probably didn't originate there.
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

I always say that believers and atheists 'know' while agnostics and indifferents don't.
Believer: I know there is god(s)
Atheist: I know there is/are no god(s)
Agnostic: I don't know whether there is (but care about it to some degree)
Inddifferent: I don't know and I don't care

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Swatopluk on September 30, 2010, 04:44:05 AM
I always say that believers and atheists 'know' while agnostics and indifferents don't.
Believer: I know there is god(s)
Atheist: I know there is/are no god(s)
Agnostic: I don't know whether there is (but care about it to some degree)
Inddifferent: I don't know and I don't care

One reason why I deny being an atheist-- I do not know there is no god.

However, using the definition for 'atheist' as defined by most people who self-identify as one, "do not have faith there is a god", then I qualify:  I have no such faith.

A very different thing than, believing there is no god.  Subtle, but very different.

:dontknow:
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)