News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Church of England near to civil war

Started by Sibling DavidH, February 08, 2010, 07:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Quote from: beagle on February 11, 2010, 08:40:08 AMIf you believe in unprovable supernatural/superstitious stuff then...................

but, but, it is isn't unprovable supernatural/superstitious stuff........... it's all in the bible innit?

:goldfish:
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

Quote from: Griffin NoName on February 12, 2010, 01:32:06 AM
Quote from: beagle on February 11, 2010, 08:40:08 AMIf you believe in unprovable supernatural/superstitious stuff then...................

but, but, it is isn't unprovable supernatural/superstitious stuff........... it's all in the bible innit?

You know my view on that. I still think it's fishy all these supposedly Middle-Eastern apostle types had English names like John or Peter. ;)

The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

Quote from: beagle on February 12, 2010, 07:37:47 AM
Quote from: Griffin NoName on February 12, 2010, 01:32:06 AM

You know my view on that. I still think it's fishy all these supposedly Middle-Eastern apostle types had English names like John or Peter. ;)

That's the New Testement. I don't do the NT. The OT has much more imaginative names. Like Rebecca. Or was it Rachel?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Quote from: DavidH on February 11, 2010, 09:54:23 AM
True, Beagle, but for myself, I am fascinated to watch them tearing themselves apart yet again.   :mrgreen:  Also, I am always grateful for the ammunition they are thereby handing out to dyed-in-the-wool extreme atheists like me.

Praise God and pass the ammunition  ;) (I think there is a song on that)
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Swatopluk

Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Aggie

Isn't that generally true for any system that encourages 'us vs. them' dichotomization?  I will concede that this dichotomization is too often the whole point of religion.

WWDDD?

Sibling DavidH

I agree, Aggie:

Quote from:  Swato's linkReligious groups distinguish between believers and nonbelievers and moral people and immoral ones. So perhaps it's no surprise that the strongly religious people in our research, who were mostly white Christians, discriminated against others who were different from them—blacks and minorities.
In the UK football supporters also tend to exhibit racism when shouting for their teams.

beagle

Verrily I say unto you pisseth not off the ladies of the parish, for they haveth control over the debit cards.

pieces o nine

^ Wot thee beagle saith.

I've recounted elsewhere the purses snapping pointedly shut when an over-enthusiastic Gideon waxed on and on to a congregation of mostly upper-class female heads of households and businesses the importance of Submitting to Their Husbands in Godly Humility on his annual  begging-for-money  missionary appearance.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

beagle

If the vicar of my Justice of the Peace/ex hospital matron aunt had tried that he'd have been able to sing descant in his own choir.

I wonder if it means the Duke of Edinburgh is now head of the C of E?