News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Are you a night owl or a morning person???

Started by stellinacadente, August 31, 2010, 03:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stellinacadente

I used to be a consumed night owl, prior to single parental duties of a super hyper child (from day one!)

After a period of healthy grudgin at the little suck...aehemmmm... bundle of joy :D, I resigned to the inevitable: I had given up for ever my wild nights and weekend late morning sleep in for years...

Now that I could go back being a night owl... I DOn'T want to :D

it's really cool to look at the clock at 7.30 and know that I am done with my daily bike ride/walk, wights and tai chi/qi qong routine!

What do you guys think?

oh and just in case... this article made me laught, I thought I share :D
http://www.slate.com/id/2193208
"Pressure... changes everything pressure. Some people you squeeze them, they focus... others fall..."

Al Pacino, The Devil's Advocate

Aggie

Night owl, by default.  I can sleep early, but I'm above all an inertial person - when I'm awake, I tend to stay awake as long as possible, and when I'm asleep, I want to stay asleep.

Lots of early mornings will re-set my built-in alarm clock to wake me up early, but it generally doesn't get me to bed earlier unless there are no chores to do (never) and I'm at the point of total exhaustion (always).
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

If it's up to me I get up at 9am and go to bed somewhwere between 2 and 3 am. I usually am most effective past 8pm while not much useful work gets done before noon.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Lindorm

I used to be firmly in the night owl category, and also working either mostly late evenings (say, 20:00 - 03:30) or overnight. However, the rostering I work under now is more or less insane and has rendered all sorts of sleep patterns to a bad joke. I can finish work at 04:30 day one, start working at 04:00 day two, have a "night rest period" at a lodging away from home between 12:30 and 22:10, and then work until 05:20 day three, and so on, and so forth. Usually, you end up being sleepy when you shouldn't be, and unable to sleep when you should. Blergh.
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Swatopluk

I have difficulty to switch from weekend to work week.
Weekened follows my normal pattern but I have to get up at 5am during the week (when my father goes to sleep; changing of the guards)

Aggie

My ideal work schedule was during my cooking days: 3 pm to 11 pm, with a pint or two after. Plenty of time to hit the beach or the ski hill in the morning, if one turns in by midnight.
WWDDD?

stellinacadente

How cool! We are all night owls by nature...I am not alone! :D

Night is much quiter... this is why I used to like it so much...but I have found that being a morning person gives me more energies to "size the day.."
"Pressure... changes everything pressure. Some people you squeeze them, they focus... others fall..."

Griffin NoName

Night Owl. Go to sleep between 4 - 7 am and wake between 14:00 and 17:00. I hate it. I want to get back to going to sleep between 12 and 2 and waking @ 7 - 10 am but I can't. When working late afternoon/evening/night = bug free programs so clearly nightowl is natural fr me.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Darlica

I used to be a night owl but, it seem like now days I prefer early mornings... well not really.
However if I have to chose between working from 06:00 to 14:00 or between 14:00 to 22:00 or 23:00 which might be the case sometimes I much prefer the morning duties.

Left to my own devices for a longer period of time I get up around 9-ish and to bed about 1 o'clock but then I'm not away at work during the hours in the afternoon and early evening when it's easiest to get things done, neither do I have to deal with the evening crowd at the metro...  :-\

At the moment I'm over tired and insomniac... YAY ;)
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

pieces o nine

Parents had us up at the crack of dawn for the earliest Mass every day (including Sundays).
"If you go later, then by the time you get home your day is half over!"   ::)

By late 20's I had a fairly normal sleep-wake cycle. But my inner day kept creeping ever forward...  During the bleak time I was up for 2-3 days at a time, then asleep like a rock for about a day. Not so good.

Left to my own devices I'm up until dawn and wake up 8-9 hours later. That doesn't fit work schedule, so despite all the best advice I sleep in as much as I want one day off each week. Last Sunday I got up about 4:45 pm, a new personal record.

I was very pleased.   
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Opsa

I like both night and morning. It's the middle of the day when I'm a zombie!

Even at the beach on a recent vacation trip, we'd stay up late drinking bourbon and smoking cigars until heaven-knows-when and I'd still wake up at dawn. I didn't want to miss it!

I tend to sleep well, though. I like sleeping.

I used to be strictly night-owl, but parenthood changed it for me, too. There's just something marvelous about the dawn- it's so dramatic! The birds, the golden light, the possibilities of the day- they're all so fresh.  It's like the overture for an opera.

stellinacadente

Quote from: Opsanus tau on September 02, 2010, 10:31:28 PM
There's just something marvelous about the dawn- it's so dramatic! The birds, the golden light, the possibilities of the day- they're all so fresh.  It's like the overture for an opera.

Oh Opsa you are a born poet! :)

I am with you though with he middle of the day zombieship :)

Swatopluk

The temporary (Ha!) replacement of the train by bus for the last miles while the road is under repair too forces me to get up even earlier. Doing without the morning papers and with a lot of hurry I manage to get up as 'late' as 4:30am and to still catch the train. I try to get some sleep on the train but almost every day there is something spoiling it. This morning the station announcements ('We now reach station X. Get out on the left/right side) were so loud that they were above normal even with earplugs. And this being a regional train ist stops every 6-7 minutes. Usually they leave out the announcements for less important stations (those where they stop just long enough for the conductor to jump out, blow her whistle and get in again) and keep the sound level low.
4:30am is a time to go to bed, not to get up!

stellinacadente

Oh Swato... I am sorry about your misfortune with public trasport... but just think it could be much worse...if instead of a train you'd have to drive 1 hr to work in traffic....

that is what I had to do when I was in California (YUCK!)... 1.5 hrs commute in traffic (27 miles) and getting up at around 4.45 am...

Let's all hang in there... maybe one day employers will come to their senses and let us all telecommute! ;D