News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Killing elephants for fun

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), April 01, 2011, 07:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I just read this luverly story today:

QuoteGoDaddy CEO Bob Parsons is not the sort of person who really cares what PETA or any other liberal types might think. If a grey wrinkly Elephantidae is creating trouble he will shoot it.

A video of Parsons  shooting an elephant in Zimbabwe has gone viral, causing the domain name registry and web hosting company to become a Google Hot Topic.

Never heard good things about godaddy but now I will never do business with them.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

It can be hard to avoid. One of my ISP's sold out to them and it was ages before I found out.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Opsa

I have an account with them, but I don't like them much anyway since all their ads are feature women smouldering into the camera begging me to spend more money with them. That's quite obnoxious enough for me. Poor elephants.

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Yep. Never using them. That's fucking unacceptable.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Lindorm

One has to wonder what sort of erectile dysfunction the CEO has when he has to resort to such things. Absolutely pathetic!
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on April 01, 2011, 07:44:34 PM
I just read this luverly story today:

QuoteGoDaddy CEO Bob Parsons is not the sort of person who really cares what PETA or any other liberal types might think. If a grey wrinkly Elephantidae is creating trouble he will shoot it.

A video of Parsons  shooting an elephant in Zimbabwe has gone viral, causing the domain name registry and web hosting company to become a Google Hot Topic.

Never heard good things about godaddy but now I will never do business with them.

Note the date:  was the story possibly an April Fools' "joke" in poor taste?

____________________________\

Edit:  it appears to be legit.

I watched most of the short clip, did not see the gratuitous death of the 'phant at the end, though.

Whereas I agree it's in poor taste to video this sort of thing, someone was going to kill the rogue elephant.   Killing it with local cooperation at least lets the flesh be used for food, rather than letting it rot as often happens under other conditions-- especially if it's killed on the sly by a poacher or a local farmer simply wanting it gone.

Of course, it might possibly have been trapped, and moved into a park with other elephants, and it might have lived a normal elephantine life.  Doubtful, though-- rogues often are driven out of the normal range by the usual elephant herds' females, and that is why they find themselves deep into human territories.  So if it were moved, it likely would've returned to the area or other similar human-infested locales.

Some comments complained that the millionaire should have spent his $$ on such an effort, instead of whatever he paid the locals for the dubious privilege of shooting it himself.

That I find distasteful nearly as much as shooting it-- it is his money.  Why should he not spend it as he sees fit, within the confines of the law?   Clearly, what he did was not illegal-- or else I doubt he'd be so blatant about flaunting his activities.

I dunno-- I never much cared for GoDaddy anywho-- their advertising barely skirts the borderline between near-exploitation of women and actual exploitation of women.  Not my cuppa tea.  Then again?  I don't have any respect for Hugh Hefner either...

By the same token?  I think PETA is equally as bad-- and often much, much worse: they literally hurt their cause far more than any slight good they accidentally do, by being such ~ssholes about it.

I'm mixed about the whole thing--

-- but unless someone can come up with an alternative that works, with regards to rogue elephants on the rampage in human-occupied territories?  The killings will continue.  

At least, the local villagers get some serious meat out of it all, and I'd quite imagine not an insignificant influx of hard currency too.  
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

While I do understand the problem with rogue elephants, even if I ignore the fact of the ever decreasing habitat, the whole thing leaves an extremely bad taste in my mouth. This isn't the thing you do if you really want to help a community, which suggests a serious desire to emulate the traditional killing safari so common a hundred years ago, and looking for a excuse to make it happen.

My pragmatism has limits, and this... "individual" went far beyond that limit.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.