News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

I hate 'updated' Microsoft programs

Started by Swatopluk, November 23, 2010, 02:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

We got new PCs. Now with Windows 7.
Now I tried MS Paint, which has always been rather crappy in the first place.
The new version for Windows 7 is not only rather awkward to use (that might change with longer use) but one of the most important functions has been killed:
To change between transparent/opaque for the paste function. I checked all functions and the Help. IT'S NOT THERE! IT'S ALWAYS OPAQUE
All of the celtic art designs I do require transparent copy/paste of elements. Essentially that means I CANNOT USE THIS CRAPPY TOOL OF A PROGRAM ANYMORE.
:zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe: :zombie: :axe:
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

That annoys me, too.  So does the 'improved' Movie Maker.  However, there is one addition which I find truly excellent: the snipping tool.  Also, if you give lectures, note that WINDOWS KEY + P opens a display setup box for projectors.  I haven't tried it yet.

EDIT:  Look what I found!  Download an older version of Paint from here and copy it into system32.  You'll have to rename it if you want to keep the new version as well - I've called it Oldpaint.exe.  And you need to put an icon on the desktop to open it.

Or, it says on that site that you can copy over the file from an existing XP installation.

Swatopluk

After looking on the net I found that the transparent feature has been cleverly hidden. But the same links say that it is not just the old one but may have flaws due to 'artistic' improvements.

Sibling DavidH

Aha!  Well I just tried copying over the XP version as advised on that site, but it won't run on my 64-bit version of 7, even after running the compatibility wizard. 

EDIT:  But the one I downloaded runs fine.  It looks just like the XP version but when you hit HELP/ABOUT  it calls itself W7 Premium.  Oh, well, who cares if it works?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

Not authorized for that at the office where I do the pattern creation while processing audio info. Counterintuitively it allows better focus.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

To the original list of Greatest Lies Ever Told:

#1:  of course I love you honey
#2:  the check's in the mail
#3:  Hello!  I'm from the government; I'm here to help you.

And now, #4: Your computer may be at risk unless you "update" it to the Latest Genuine Microsoft Advantage.... what?  We did not say it was an advantage for you.  For a mere $89.95, you can get back that functionality you had in the older version...

::)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

if you use XP never leave automatic updates on. Set it to warn you and review before even downloading the WGA infection. Once installed there is no way to remove it but reinstall windows.  :(

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on November 25, 2010, 12:35:58 AM
if you use XP never leave automatic updates on. Set it to warn you and review before even downloading the WGA infection. Once installed there is no way to remove it but reinstall windows.  :(

I have WGA on my XP machine and never had a problem.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

If you are on a laptop you'll be fine until you have to reinstall the system (due to infection, registry corruption or hardware failure) and if you don't have the original installer or the partition that had it dies and chances you'll install/get an oem version that doesn't require activation. Once wga gets in you'll get the annoying messages and system degradation.

If you are on a desktop and you decide to upgrade key components then you'll also get the annoyance.

WGA is how M$ screws its customers to try to prevent something that never will affect real pirates.

ivor

Never had a problem with WGA...  *knocks on wood*

Usually when you buy a computer of the shelf it's got an OEM version of Windows on it.  The license is linked to the machine.  The hard drive and processor have serial numbers on them which Microsoft keeps track of.  That's what "Activation" is.  If you change both CPU and disk drive out they get cranky about reactivation.  You don't get an install disk on the assumption that the machine will die and the license dies with it.  You can by the full version of Windows that is licensed for any single machine but it's pretty expensive.

I think...  Actual mileage may vary...   Offer void where prohibited...

On another note IE8 is just as bad as IE7...  Just try and block whitelist :mrgreen: a cookie...  I dare you!

Sibling DavidH

There is a way of removing WGA, I found it on the net when it got into Mrs H's desktop.  I can't remember details now but it involved file deletion and registry hacks.  Problem: it will very soon return unless you stop the updates.  As I was telling you, I recently took that machine off the net for other reasons, so it's not an issue now.

This month's issue of PC Pro says that in 2007 some cretin at MS uploaded a dodgy beta version of the WGA thing onto their server and for 24 hours a lot of innocent users had problems, some of which required reactivation to fix.